Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASBOs?

Options
  • 08-08-2009 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'd be interested to find out about people's experiences if they've tried to use the Criminal Justice Act 2006 (the one that introduced ASBOs) to sort out anti-social behaviour. From what I've read, it appears to be a process driven through the Gardaí.

At what point in an anti-social behaviour situation are they likely to get involved, and what kind of evidence do they seek before taking action?

By way of background, the son/daughter of my next door neighbour has been holding parties every weekend for the better part of a month. I've no objection to that in principle, but at some point in every party a whole bunch of the kids go out to the back and start yelling at the top of their voices. There's no language being shouted - they're literally just being obnoxious for the hell of it. The final straw came last night when (after 12) an electric guitar was hooked up in the garden and an impromptu* gig started. My five year old sister in law was staying over for the night, and you can guess what happened.

The family aren't sterotypical ASBO-magnets, it's quite the opposite in fact: rich neighbourhood, beemer out front, etc. I've written to the parents in the hope that they'll clamp down on the kid, but would like to know my options if they're one of those 'Our johnny can do no wrong' types.

If anyone's sought the help in Gardaí in dealing with anti-social behaviour, I'd love to hear from you!

* I hope - otherwise they're appalling musicians as well as being spoiled brats

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

You'd be better off asking here tbh - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1023

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

geeky wrote: »
    My five year old sister in law was staying over for the night, and you can guess what happened.

She went out and started rocking with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    She went out and started rocking with them?

emmm... not quite! I probably come off as a total killjoy, but it takes a fair bit to have me hunting round for objects I could fling over the wall at the brats.

TY for pointing me to the EMS thread also, btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

I refuse to acknowledge any Criminal Bill which claims that Whistling is grounds for a punishment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I refuse to acknowledge any Criminal Bill which claims that Whistling is grounds for a punishment

I refuse to acknowledge any Criminal Bill which doesn't claim that Whistling is grounds for a punishment.

Damn whistling show-off bastards. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I refuse to acknowledge any Criminal Bill which doesn't claim that Whistling is grounds for a punishment.

Damn whistling show-off bastards. :mad:
    How can anyone act innocent if they can't whistle?!

Advertisement