Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI: 16" 2.10 GHz 512 MB graphics 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM €599.99

Options
  • 08-08-2009 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭

http://ireland.aldi.com/ie/html/offers/2827_10001.htm

And a 3 year warrant, I need a new laptop and I think this is a bargain, does anyone see anything glaringly wrong with it or can you think of a better deal for €600-700?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

The processor is abit on the weak side but the graphics card more than makes up for that,for that price I think its a great deal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Could you play new games with this graphics card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

mehmeh12 wrote: »

Yeah you can play GTA 4,Sims 3,Grid etc all at medium settings

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Can anyone see anything wrong with it? Thinking of getting it and as far as I can see its a great deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

i dont want to play games a medium settings! why not higher settings?

• Advertisement

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    i dont want to play games a medium settings! why not higher settings?

Cause its not powerful enough, you have to pay alot for a gaming laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Its should be a decent GPU, somewhere around the level of the 9650M GT. Ive not seen any benchmarks (its a new product, not even on Nvidias site strangely) but i'd guess somewhere around 6,000 3DMark06.

Considering the fairly low screen res, i'd say you're looking at maxing out older games like HL2 no problem, more recent games (~1 or 2 yrs) like Cod4 at med/high settings, and current games at medium settings.

The likes of Crysis or GTA are very demanding though, count on low/med settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Secure your documents, photos, movies or MP3s. The integrated CD/DVD writer always provides plenty of space on the hard disk. 8x multi-format DVD/CD writer with DVD-RAM and dual layer support
    This does burn dual layers and not just read them doesnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Windows Vista® Home Premium 32 Bit with new
    Media Center interface (32 Bit version preinstalled,
    64 Bit version included in delivery)

why is the 32bit installed? you'd want to change to 64bit to avail of the 4gb of ram anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

with 3 years warranty, seems good to me , anyone know of any better?

• Advertisement

Got mine this morning, all 7 gone in Headford Road Aldi in Galway straight away.

I love it, the screen is excellent, the keyboard is excellent, it looks great and seems ridiculously fast, although I am just browsing now. Just discovered a free little laptop mouse in the box there that they didnt mention in the brochure, sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

http://www.medion.com/ms/aldi/md97760/ie/

The HDMI output has me interested as it would allow my MKV files to shine on telly.Good processor, 4gig memory nice! Price is a little high for a generic brand like Medion though.

Price is a little high for a generic brand like Medion though.

About €700 for similar laptop from Dell and Medion isn't a generic brand.

Adding a 3 year warranty on the Dell site will push up the price a lot more aswell.

Dont know why people are such snobs about Aldi/Medion tbh, if they were that bad you'd hear about it, they've sold millions of them over the years and people are always happy with the price/quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

Aldi-Medion are great PC's. Actually never had problems with anything I buy from Aldi. If I don't like somthing they always gave me the money back.

Have bought 2 computers for Aldi. no probs and great followup customer service.

Update:

I was in the Headford Road Aldi in Galway today and the poster for this laptop was still up so I asked if they still had them and the manager said no but they're getting more in around the end of the week. You have to go in and put your name and details down to reserve one, he said other Aldis are probably doing this aswell, no other specific details and you cant book over the phone.

Personally I dont know much about laptops but I could not be happier with this purchase, its lightening fast, looks great, feels great to use, completely silent, screen is great for watching tv and films/gaming and I know if anything happens I have the 3 year waranty, best money Ive spent in ages.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Looks like a good machine for a good price.

Just to echo what others have said, I've always thought the Medion stuff was pretty good. My brother's had 2 desktops from them over the years and when I popped them open to see how they were put together, there was clearly some thought given to future upgradability which is always good.

I'd happily buy their products and the aftersales seems to be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Daithi McNulty

I'm guessing this has a 5400 rpm hard drive?

Would it be worth immediately upgrading to the 64 bit version of Vista or would this just be a lot of hassle?
    I'd be interested to see the difference in performance with this but i'd worry about compatibility issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I'm guessing this has a 5400 rpm hard drive?

Would it be worth immediately upgrading to the 64 bit version of Vista or would this just be a lot of hassle?
    I'd be interested to see the difference in performance with this but i'd worry about compatibility issues.
    not sure about the HDD RPM but DEFINATELY upgrade to 64bit, or you lose the use of nearly 1 gig of ram. its a simple install and 64bit is very compatable these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭m4rkiz

Its should be a decent GPU, somewhere around the level of the 9650M GT. Ive not seen any benchmarks (its a new product, not even on Nvidias site strangely) but i'd guess somewhere around 6,000 3DMark06.

it is 9650M, they just changed name, they did same thing with other gpu chips 8800 aka 9800 aka gts240 ie.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Dont know why people are such snobs about Aldi/Medion tbh, if they were that bad you'd hear about it, they've sold millions of them over the years and people are always happy with the price/quality.

medion is lowend brand (and brand only - they do not produce any computers!), they sell things that work and they do that cheap (and still making money)

if all you want to do is to put that laptop on a desk and use it - ok, after 3 years of warranty you can get another, more powerfull one, but i would not risk using that kind of laptop as an actual portable computer

kind like st. bernard or tesco products, cheap but (with some exceptions) not too great (but not too bad either)

m4rkiz wrote: »
    medion is lowend brand (and brand only - they do not produce any computers!),
    So like all laptop manufacturers then?
    m4rkiz wrote: »
    if all you want to do is to put that laptop on a desk and use it - ok, after 3 years of warranty you can get another, more powerfull one, but i would not risk using that kind of laptop as an actual portable computer
    Why wouldn't you risk it? You've given no reasons at all and I've yet to see a valid one why I should of went with a bigger brand name compared to the Medion.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you risk it? You've given no reasons at all and I've yet to see a valid one why I should of went with a bigger brand name compared to the Medion.

they printing 'medion' on all kinds of laptops - that can be as good as some siemens they had long time ago or crappy as cheapest chinese things (with broken cover after a month, loose hinges, etc.)

other companies that actually produce laptops can repair them if they broke (outside warranty - if ie. you will drop it) medion wont do that for you, you may not find replacement battery (or mobo, screen, etc.)

i am not saying that this particular laptop is bad buy, what i am saying is it is not only price that matters

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

Is this offer still valid?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

I'm rather surprised by the Medion comments. I'm typing this on a Medion desktop - my second - and I found that customer support on the first one (when the fan became noisy) was superb. Generally ALDI / Medion electronics have been of high quality in my experience and this appears to be the experience of my friends also (who between them have several Medion laptops).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Is it still possible to get this laptop?

Have a look at my post on this page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    So like all laptop manufacturers then?

+1

Bought a pretty highly speccd desktop from Aldi about 7 years ago - still going strong - no problems.

I've bought many Medion branded electrical devices from Aldi and returned a few. There's never been a quibble. Either a replacement directly from stock or a full cash refund.
    Normally, they'll do this within a 2 week period of purchase eeven if you simply don't like or need the product. They're not obliged to do that but, in my experience, they have done.
    Aldi staff tend to be pretty sharp so they usually spot bull****ters.
    I'm not connected with Aldi in any way btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

So this was out of stock in Rathfarnham and on Parnell st., anybody know if its still in stock in dublin?
    Or if Aldi will be restocking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Have a Dell Studio ordered with almost the exact same specs, as far as I can see, for E700.

It was meant to be one of those limited time offers [E300 knocked off]. Wish I had waited a bit longer for their next offer which is almost identical only it is 2.4 Processor with 3Mb cache instead of 2.1 with 2 MB :(.

The main thing with Dell though is that their systems are generally very reliable and with few unpleasant surprises hidden beneath glossy specs.

However, the price can ratchet up quickly with Dell when getting extras. I realised that if I went for all the modifications I wanted, [e.g Full HD screen, 9volt battery, etc] it would come to over a thousand euro. Not such a great deal when in all honesty I can live without them :rolleyes:

Advertisement