Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a shortboard

Options
  • 08-08-2009 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi im just wondering wheres the best place to buy shortboards online for a begginer-intermedate surfer i have been surfing a bic 5,10 fish for over a year now and im mostly in the water for about 4 hours a week (slightly more in the summer)
    I,ll need some thing with a good bit of float for mussed out summer waves and also for about 3 meter waves... im about 52kg and the height of an average 13 year old...I would prefer to only buy in ireland and the uk my highest price would be around 500 and it,ll need to last me for along time...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭theo4130

i can recommend the board room, in greystones, they have an online shop just google it, + shallow reef look great, never bought off them, will do in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭markY6222

theo4130 wrote: »
    i can recommend the board room, in greystones, they have an online shop just google it, + shallow reef look great, never bought off them, will do in future.

Thanks m8 i,ll have a look but shallow reef looks abit too good to be true with the price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 TheP

I tried around and went with bigsurf.ie. Good to deal with.

Split my foot open on a shell today out waterskiing...ouch...

Caoi.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

TheP wrote: »
    I tried around and went with bigsurf.ie. Good to deal with.

Does bigsurf.ie have a premises ? Cannot see from the website, though its a nice website...but they seem very expensive e.g. for Bic ( the brand you mention ) they are more expensive than most other retailers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

From summer mush to 3meter waves? Sounds like you're expecting a lot from one board and particularly a shortboard.
    If it's only the one board that you'll be using, and expecting it to cover a range of differing conditions then forget the shortboard.

Look at something like an egg/magic carpet shape or possibly a fatboy flyer style if you insist upon a pointy board. They'll have some volume in them unlike a typical shortboard.

Try contacting a few Irish shapers for advice rather then just relying upon this forum for advice. They'll have proper advice and a range of boards which are often more affordable then some of the crap available on the internet.

And forget about 3meter waves you're being overly hopeful I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

3 metres in width.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

fmcc wrote: »
    3 metres in width.

:confused:

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    From summer mush to 3meter waves? Sounds like you're expecting a lot from one board and particularly a shortboard.
    If it's only the one board that you'll be using, and expecting it to cover a range of differing conditions then forget the shortboard.

Look at something like an egg/magic carpet shape or possibly a fatboy flyer style if you insist upon a pointy board. They'll have some volume in them unlike a typical shortboard.

Try contacting a few Irish shapers for advice rather then just relying upon this forum for advice. They'll have proper advice and a range of boards which are often more affordable then some of the crap available on the internet.

And forget about 3meter waves you're being overly hopeful I'm afraid.

Sorry for not replying...As long as it can handle the 2.5meter waves Thats grand i dont mind having to paddle really hard when they get mussed out...Heres one ive been looking at what u think:
    http://www.offaxis.co.uk/product.php?pid=1320&cid=35
    http://www.powersourcesurfboards.com/bigfish.htm

Thanks for all Ur help Lads But Keep It comen!:):D

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

theo4130 wrote: »

shallowreef boards are crap from china! they ding real easy!!

check out my blog for a good deal!!
    http://allthingsglide.blogspot.com/

• Advertisement
Advertisement