Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A and E payment.

Options
  • 08-08-2009 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Back in April I had to go to Accident and Emergency .... I didnt have cash or a laser card to pay at me at the time so the receptionist said that the bill would invoiced out to me within the week. Week passed got nothing, so it kinda completely slipped my mind. Then I was away for 3 months. When I got home I had 3 letters from the hospital, 2 of which were a copy of the invoice and the third was a threatening letter saying that if the bill isnt paid immediately it will be passed on to their debt collection branch .... as I'm only after arriving home, I'm completely broke. Any idea of a time frame that I will have before debt collectors get involved (and exactly how do they get involved), the third letter was sent 30/7/09. Thanks, before someone says 'Ahhhhhhhhh it's your own fault, you should have paid' ... yes I know, I am extremely foolish for not paying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Quiet Lurker

kelle wrote: »
    It's public knowledge that the HSE haven't the resources to actively pusue all those who default on hospital payments. So you could be safe while the recession is here.
    Yea nice advice ok, Kelle. Don't pay and let the rest of us have to carry the can. While you will come on here and complain about the resources being cut in the Health service !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Yea nice advice ok, Kelle. Don't pay and let the rest of us have to carry the can. While you will come on here and complain about the resources being cut in the Health service !!!

I was stating a pitiful fact, not advising him/her. I never adviced OP not to pay.

It's another cut in HSE resources, but something they'll have to act on - fast.

This could lead to a sitauation where treatment might be refused to patients until they pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

JMB88 wrote: »
    Back in April I had to go to Accident and Emergency .... I didnt have cash or a laser card to pay at me at the time so the receptionist said that the bill would invoiced out to me within the week. Week passed got nothing, so it kinda completely slipped my mind. Then I was away for 3 months. When I got home I had 3 letters from the hospital, 2 of which were a copy of the invoice and the third was a threatening letter saying that if the bill isnt paid immediately it will be passed on to their debt collection branch .... as I'm only after arriving home, I'm completely broke. Any idea of a time frame that I will have before debt collectors get involved (and exactly how do they get involved), the third letter was sent 30/7/09. Thanks, before someone says 'Ahhhhhhhhh it's your own fault, you should have paid' ... yes I know, I am extremely foolish for not paying.

PAy quick say sorry then pass one, go to parents/bank/credit union/friend just get the money

The HSE are outsourcing a lot to debt collectors, if you owe the money you wil just end up owing more if it goes that far

There is no cost to hospital getting debt collectors so take it seriously

A few years ago when charges were small tons of money was owed and they didnt chase it
    Now the fee is quite high, lots more owed and they are chasing it

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

I work in an accounts HSE environment and would advise you to even start making part payments on it. Once you are seen to be making some effort then it won't go as far as the debt collection phase. And as suggested earlier now that it is 100 notes it is a lot more cost effective to chase up these amounts than it once was.

Advertisement