Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No to Nama Facebook Group

Options
  • 08-08-2009 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

I have set up a Facebook group titled 'No to Nama'. We really need to get the ball rolling, and reach more people.

I have committed a modest EUR110 to place ads for the new group targeting Irish facebook users.

This is the link http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=233861925262

Join the group and forward to all your Facebook friends. I need people to get involved and become admins for the Group. I dont have any experience in the political or protesting realm. But hopefully the new Facebook group will become a conduit for spreading the message rapidly to the general Irish public.

Comments

Well the thread over in after hours got locked as the mod over there saw it as pointless.
    *Sigh*

Nama is going to cost people real things like their health care, its going to reduce competitiveness in the economy which will impact on pensions as we get older. Alot of people are unwilling to put in the time to look into what NAMA is and unless the issue is pushed then it will fly through the Dail and the same people will be moaning about paycuts, higher taxes and how crappy the place has become in a years time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I wonder whether Cowen & Lenihan even read the report about starting up NAMA, or did they repeat their earlier f**k-up and not bother reading it before deciding to go ahead blindly ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

As I said on the same thread in another forum, save your money. It's going to happen. If you were really pained by it you'd organise a march to Dail Eireann and not a p1ssy facebook page :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

well it's a legitimate form of protest after all................nothing wrong with it as such. it shows people are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

who_ru wrote: »
    well it's a legitimate form of protest after all................nothing wrong with it as such. it shows people are interested.

Nobody takes armchair protestors seriously. If you can't be arsed walking along a street to make your views known, then you don't merit a hearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭D.Craftsman

Why not register with the Irish People Union web site to show your concern about NAMA? The more people who sign up the more it will be taken seriously.It is no good posting a complaint on a board individually or telling the person sitting next to you how fed up you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

A street protest may not be the best idea when one considers that the usual anti-establishment blocks like the SWP will latch on and muffle any real ideas that may emerge. This a complex issue and without trying to sound elitist, the intellucuals of Irish society need to tear this whole corrupt concept apart. Brian Lucey has done some excellent work on the radio while the judiciary today proved they can seperate reason from political forces. If enough academics, judges etc start weighing in behind the anti-NAMA movement then... Its not a done deal yet.

DJDC wrote: »
    A street protest may not be the best idea when one considers that the usual anti-establishment blocks like the SWP will latch on and muffle any real ideas that may emerge. This a complex issue and without trying to sound elitist, the intellucuals of Irish society need to tear this whole corrupt concept apart. Brian Lucey has done some excellent work on the radio while the judiciary today proved they can seperate reason from political forces. If enough academics, judges etc start weighing in behind the anti-NAMA movement then... Its not a done deal yet.

Yeah. And you'll find them all using Facebook as a means of advancing their thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

Yeah. And you'll find them all using Facebook as a means of advancing their thinking.

What do you recommend..bebo? Have a look at the groups members, you might surprise yourself at the amount of professionals. You are right though about the fb page being pretty useless unless part of a wider movement.

DJDC wrote: »
    What do you recommend..bebo? ...

On reflection, I think Facebook is the place for it.

• Advertisement

Why not register with the Irish People Union web site to show your concern about NAMA? The more people who sign up the more it will be taken seriously.It is no good posting a complaint on a board individually or telling the person sitting next to you how fed up you are.

Amongst advertisers of course :rolleyes: As i've said before i question the motives of those who initiate online protests. Sounds like personal gain more than anything else. You mite as well p1ss against the wall outside.

stepbar wrote: »
    Amongst advertisers of course :rolleyes: As i've said before i question the motives of those who initiate online protests. Sounds like personal gain more than anything else. You mite as well p1ss against the wall outside.
    Sorry Stepbar, but I don't get your advertiser reference.Have you even looked at the Irish People Union site?Read the comments.The 'motives' are clear.You may question motives but what have you done?What are you prepared to do?Have you mailed your objection to the government, or even your local T.D ?Or are you too busy pissing on a wall somwhere?

Sorry Stepbar, but I don't get your advertiser reference.

See the advert at the top of this page and every page? That's what I'm getting at.
    Have you even looked at the Irish People Union site?Read the comments.The 'motives' are clear.You may question motives but what have you done?What are you prepared to do?Have you mailed your objection to the government, or even your local T.D ?Or are you too busy pissing on a wall somwhere?

Don't need to or have any interest in it. I don't have an overall problem with Nama bar how the valuations are arrived at which is being trashed out at present. So I'm happy for that to carry on as it's work in progress.

However, you want people to join your little "fan club" and then talk ab nasium about how sh1te Nama is or what ever else bugs you and you buddies. If you "really" had a problem then perhaps you'd be out organising a march to Dail Eireann instead of hiding behind a computer screen.

Hi Stepbar.You don't have a problem with NAMA?? Is your name Cowen or Lenihan? Nama is more than a work in progress.Have you read anything about it?The prices to be paid are not being thrashed (correct spelling) at present as the Dail is closed for holiday,or haven't you noticed?NAMA say the prices to be paid will be discounted but based on 2006 figures! Do you remember the prices the developers paid for land and property then? Why will it not be based on current market value?
    Remember that there is currently about 200,000 empty, new houses and apartments unsold.God knows how many half built or incomplete sites there are.These developments were built on overpaid for land.The buildings built on them were priced accordingly, too high.Buyers were given a take it or leave it.They took out morgatges to cover the price.See a pattern? The banks lend to the developer to pay too much and then lends to the customer, to pay too much.Market forces at their best!Then things get rocky.The whole system falls apart and the State has to step in.They agree to take the toxic debts off the banks books in order to open the trade again.The banks get the loans repaid, or most.They won't have to worry because they are now covered by OUR State guarantee.The developer has his loan repaid.We get the bill.Who do you think will be waiting to make offers on the unsold /unfinished sites?
    You assume too much.I did not say no to NAMA.NAMA may turn out to be a good thing.In thirty years the ecconomists may say it worked.I just cannot see what the pay off will be for us; you, me, our children.Why have the govt. not demended an equity stake in the banks to reinburse us? You do realise that we are all still paying two percent on every insurance policy to cover the bail out given to A.I.B in the seventies?This is regardless of the one million a day profit the bank was making.They never had to pay the State back!!If you mess a tax payment up do you think you would be allowed keep it?No chance.Your tax will be paying for the cost of NAMA though.Are you really happy with that?
    Again you assume too much.I have nothing to do with the Irish People Union.I came accross it by accident.The tone of your comment suggests you have little time for people who voice opinions on message boards,ad nausium (correct spelling).So then why are you replying or even reading them at all??You assume too much.The NAMA bill has to go before the house yet.What would the point be of a demonstration march to Leinster House before the debate, or when it is EMPTY???Look forward to seeing you then Mr. Lenihan.
    Now go back out to your wall.

Hi Stepbar.You don't have a problem with NAMA?? Is your name Cowen or Lenihan? Nama is more than a work in progress.Have you read anything about it?The prices to be paid are not being thrashed (correct spelling) at present as the Dail is closed for holiday,or haven't you noticed?NAMA say the prices to be paid will be discounted but based on 2006 figures! Do you remember the prices the developers paid for land and property then? Why will it not be based on current market value?
    Remember that there is currently about 200,000 empty, new houses and apartments unsold.God knows how many half built or incomplete sites there are.These developments were built on overpaid for land.The buildings built on them were priced accordingly, too high.Buyers were given a take it or leave it.They took out morgatges to cover the price.See a pattern? The banks lend to the developer to pay too much and then lends to the customer, to pay too much.Market forces at their best!Then things get rocky.The whole system falls apart and the State has to step in.They agree to take the toxic debts off the banks books in order to open the trade again.The banks get the loans repaid, or most.They won't have to worry because they are now covered by OUR State guarantee.The developer has his loan repaid.We get the bill.Who do you think will be waiting to make offers on the unsold /unfinished sites?
    You assume too much.I did not say no to NAMA.NAMA may turn out to be a good thing.In thirty years the ecconomists may say it worked.I just cannot see what the pay off will be for us; you, me, our children.Why have the govt. not demended an equity stake in the banks to reinburse us? You do realise that we are all still paying two percent on every insurance policy to cover the bail out given to A.I.B in the seventies?This is regardless of the one million a day profit the bank was making.They never had to pay the State back!!If you mess a tax payment up do you think you would be allowed keep it?No chance.Your tax will be paying for the cost of NAMA though.Are you really happy with that?
    Again you assume too much.I have nothing to do with the Irish People Union.I came accross it by accident.The tone of your comment suggests you have little time for people who voice opinions on message boards,ad nausium (correct spelling).So then why are you replying or even reading them at all??You assume too much.The NAMA bill has to go before the house yet.What would the point be of a demonstration march to Leinster House before the debate, or when it is EMPTY???Look forward to seeing you then Mr. Lenihan.
    Now go back out to your wall.

O god, my head hurts :rolleyes:

...ad nausium (correct spelling)...

It isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Wouldn't a realistic ansawer to nama facebook group be a better option than a pointless say no, and all put our heads in the sand option.

Sorry Jimmy, I have no idea what your post is supposed to mean.Not many of our T.D's will be looking at facebook.Have YOU e-mailed your local representitive or the minister?Or why not both.Sign up to the Irish People Union .com if you want to have your name included on a national list of concerned citizens.How can it be pointless to let our government know we are asking them questions and not accepting their spin doctor replies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭leonardjos

To give you all an update on our Facebook effort. After 6 Days, we have over 3,000 members on the Group, with lots of information posted, and comments and discussions started. :D

We have publicised details of The Property Pin's Phase I campaign, whereby we are encouraging everybody to take time to send a personal message to their elected representatives, in particular the Green Party, stating their views on NAMA, and asking the simple question "Do you support NAMA, yes or no?".

I have got many messages of support on Facebook, including one from a Green Party member.

I will be attending the plan meeting for a street protest organised by the Irish People Union today. The protest is being arranged for 16th Sept, the day the Dail resumes. If I like what I hear today, I will be publicising the protest arrangements to the Facebook Group. And I am sure many readers of the Property Pin will be persuaded to join this protest too.

I would not pay too much attention to those who support NAMA. They are likely to have a vested interest in this scam. Maybe they own a host of investment properties or bank shares and are hoping that NAMA will help them out of their investment losses at the taxpayers expense. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

leonardjos wrote: »
    I would not pay too much attention to those who support NAMA. They are likely to have a vested interest in this scam. Maybe they own a host of investment properties or bank shares and are hoping that NAMA will help them out of their investment losses at the taxpayers expense. :P

Indeed all a bunch of misguided halfwits. Guess this is the type of balance that applies to that Facebook group. Seriously this is one of the most ill-informed and crass comments I have seen on NAMA, although as we have seen with protests in recent years the truth can often be quickly ignored.

But don't let that get in the way of strident protests that use the comfort of numbers to "convince" people that they are right.

• Advertisement

I dont believe that anyone supporting NAMA is a halfwit, in fact I think they are very knowledgeable. They know exactly who the winners and losers in the NAMA game will be, and it probably suits their position for NAMA to go ahead. They are not misguided either, but rather guided by their own self interests.

I think there is a lot to do in making the general public knowledgeable regarding NAMA. Then they will see it clearly for the abomination that it is. I think that there is a danger that the public could be misguided by the government who are saying NAMA is the only solution to ensure SME's can get working capital. There are alternatives to NAMA that will safeguard the taxpayers' interests.

I wouldn't consider that the 'No to NAMA' campaign has any comfort of numbers at all. We are working hard to educate people and grow our numbers. Time will not be on our side, but our momentum is gathering.

The Facebook Group and members from the Property Pin attended a planning meeting for the 'No to Nama' street protest. The time and date have been set at 2pm on Saturday 12th September, we're marching from the Garden of Remembrance to the Dail.

Dave Brown of www.irishpeopleunion.com is spearheading the protest arrangements, and appeared on Newstalk to publicise the protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭eamonnm79

Well Done to Dave Brown and the rest of you.
    People have been calling out for a protest march on this. It is brilliant that it is being organised by a non party political group.
    Because it may attract people who feel disinfranchised from politics and people of all political persuasions.
    Well done and I look forward to seeing you on the 12th.

Advertisement