Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

telescope for a Beginner

Options

Comments

It is extremely good value for only €50, I have to say. And for that amount of money, you can't really go wrong.

Are you working within a budget? You'll find that the quality of the telescope (and thus what you can see with it) increases exponentially with relatively small increases in the amount you've to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭dunworth1

well i'm 17 dont have much money to spend

what kind of things would i be able to see with this telescope

my max would be about 100

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Hi Dunworth

My humble advise would be to keep your money. You are not going to get any decent scope for €50 unless it is part of a "Fire Sale". These scopes usually come with terrible quality optics, bad quality eyepieces, terrible wobbly mount etc. Sometime even looking at the moon can be a problem and you may soon get tired of it alltogether. This would be a shame :)

For €100 you should consider getting a good pair of binoculers instead and a good star atlas or guide to the night sky. You can then be able to learn the sky and also find some of the more well known clusters and objects.

Here is a link to a list of objects which are best viewed through binoculers. I found this to be an excellent handbook and guide.

http://www.minds.may.ie/~astro2/IFASData/IFASBinocularHandbook.pdf

Another link that is usefull is http://www.skymaps.com/downloads.html

There are also plenty of astromomy clubs which will be holding events and observing evenings. If you still think that you would still like to get a scope then you can then save up for a decent one.

Your budget should be a minimum of €300 and get the biggest aperture you can afford.

Hope this helps

DBran

i was looking in argos and i saw this telescope

it has nearly the same specs for 184

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5803745/Trail/searchtext%3ETELESCOPE.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭gillo_100

One thing, the 50 doesn't include shipping which considering a weight of 3.6kg is likely to be a fair ammount, Just something you need to factor in.

I myself am curious to get into astronomy, I've actually purchased a Galileoscope for under 30 euro including shpping. Still hasn't arrived
    I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on it, my thinking was I'm not to sure if I really am that interested in getting into astronomy, just kinda trying it out. And 30 isn't that much to spend, I also kinda like that you have to put it together yourself, as I'm interested in how the optics work.

Anyway they are just my 2c, I quite like to hear what others have to say about the Galileoscope: https://www.galileoscope.org/gs/content/specifications

Also I should really take dbran's advice and go to a meet.

• Advertisement

Listen to dbran's advice dunworth1.

As he said, unless you're willing to spend a minimum of €300, you'll be disappointed with most telescopes you would get. Buy a pair of binoculars instead, something like these. They're made buy a great telescope manufacturer, and come with a zoom feature. Also, they've a huge aperture. They might not be the greatest quality, but they'll be better quality than any telescope you could buy for a similar price.

Both are good for different things, but neither are as good as a good pair of binoculars.

Did you read what a few of us have said about binoculars?

yes

i dont understand how a pair of binoculars is better then a telescope

• Advertisement

dunworth1 wrote: »
    yes but i would like a telescope

i dont understand how a pair of binoculars is better then a telescope

When you're spending that amount of money, a pair of binoculars can be substantially better.

Telescopes worth ~€50-€100 are, basically, toys. Binoculars worth ~€50-€100 are proper binoculars.

And, to be honest, with the pair of binoculars I've linked to, you'll see just as much as either of those telescopes, and the optics are probably better, you won't have to put up with a crappy mount, and you can use them for other activities.

Hi

Jammydodger is right.

Those scopes are basically toys that you would put next to your lavalamp, CDs etc in the window, probably never use but look really good :)

I have come across many people over the years who have been given such scopes as presents but cant seem to focus or point them at anything other then the moon, or find anything else astronomical. I have to tell them that it is not them or the way they are using it. It is the poor quality of the telscope itself that is the problem.

For some objects in the sky binoculars are better then a telescope. This is because they have a wider field of view and can be used for great views of some of the larger objects in the sky such as open clusters large nebula, the milky way etc. I know of at least two people who had telescopes and have since got rid of them for binoculers. They just found they were not using them anymore.

Another thing to note is that you are never going to see the fantastic colours that you see in the photos in magazines through a telescope. These details are far too faint for even the largest telescopes to magnify enough for your eyes to pick up. The most you will see is just different shade of fuzzy grey with just hints and glimpses of detail.

I note you are in Limerick. You should get in touch with the guys in Shanonside Astronomy Club http://www.shannonsideastronomyclub.com/ They will be able to advise you on what to get.

gillo_100
    I have heard of the Galileoscope and I believe at the end of the day it is a novelty item. I wouldnt expect to see much through it other then the moon, jupiter and its moons and maybe a very fuzzy small saturn. After all that is all that Mr Galileo was able to see with his telescope :)

You can find a list of all the astronomy clubs here

http://www.irishastronomy.org/cms/about/ifas-maps?task=viewmap&mapId=1

You should see if there is one near you. You might also be able to go along to an observing evening when the nights start to get longer again.

Hope this helps (and clear skies :))

DB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Buy a pair of binoculars instead, something like these. They're made buy a great telescope manufacturer, and come with a zoom feature. Also, they've a huge aperture. They might not be the greatest quality, but they'll be better quality than any telescope you could buy for a similar price.

Has anyone bought anything from opticsplanet? The price in Euro's plus shipping is around 83 euros. The similar spec'd pair in argos is 150 euro's. I have a pair of more powerful zoom binoculars but they are next to useless for astronomy due too the small aperture and field of view. I have used a reasonably cheap telescope before and found it a disaster due to crappy tripod which made it near impossible to zoom in on an object because of vibration etc, steer well clear OP.
    Are there any other binocular suggestions, models, sites etc?

i already have a pair of 10x50 binoculars

thanks anyway

i'm going to start saving up for a good telescope

Hi Dunworth

Good:)

And do check out the shannonside astronomy club in the mean time. There is a guy there who owns an 18" Dobsonian:eek: Definately worth a look through!!

Dbran

dunworth1 wrote: »
    i already have a pair of 10x50 binoculars

thanks anyway

i'm going to start saving up for a good telescope

You're just as well. Save up for several months (I saved for over a year for my first telescope) until you have at least €300.
    dbran wrote: »
    Hi Dunworth

Good:)

And do check out the shannonside astronomy club in the mean time. There is a guy there who owns an 18" Dobsonian:eek: Definately worth a look through!!

Dbran

I'd love to have a look through that. Where is it (Shannonside Astron. Club) based out of curiosity?

Hi

They are based in Limerick and I believe have observing sessions in Boher Co Limerick weather permitting. They are also orgainsing a star party this year in the Burren

http://www.shannonsideastronomyclub.com/sac_burren_starparty.htm

Regards

Dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭smartaform

I was looking at making my own Dobsonian telescope... The plans for which are on the net (of course!!) www.scopemaking.net they look a nice size and the materials should be less than 100.00???

Advertisement