Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain Redirect and SEO

Options
  • 07-08-2009 8:40pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If I have a site at a domain and buy a second domain whats the best way to redirect the 2nd domain to the original site but take advantage of the SEO I would get from the domains name? If i place a redirect within to code and then put title and keyword meta tags will they be any use or is there a better way of going about it?
    Would it be better to put a copy of the site up under the domain seperately with specific meta keywords etc as oppose to just using a redirect??

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Moonstar

If you want to do this, you would need to create a reasonably different site on your 2nd domain, and then funnel users towards your main site via manual link clicks. Probably not worth the effort though if you're trying to be legit, however something like having a separate blog about your site is essentially the same thing.

Mostly duplicate content on your 2nd site would cause it to drop out of the search index. On the other hand, a page with just meta-keywords and a redirect won't rank high enough (or at all) in search results either.

I would suggest concentrating on building links to your main site.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Its not really for the purpose you are outlining. I have a site with content thats on say apples..and when you search for Dublin apples it cmes up and cork apples and limerick appples because I have done the SEO to make it such. Now a domain Galwayapples is available and I am wondering if i purchase it whats the best way to set it up so that it will point to my main site with the domain name being one of the main reasons. So would i be better doing a redirect or...??

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Moonstar

Ah ok, yep in that case you will most likely want to put a 301 redirect on galwayapples to capture any search engine authority that exists there.

Try here for some examples:
    http://www.webconfs.com/how-to-redirect-a-webpage.php

You should then mention "galway apples" in some way on your main site if you haven't already.

Advertisement