Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jaguar Driver's Window not closing fully.

Options
  • 07-08-2009 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

I have a problem with a X type Jaguar where the drivers window only closes up to about 1/2 inch from the fully closed / sealed position.

A panel beater had a look and said the window has a sealed unit which he did not want to open as he had not got the correct equipment. He oiled the rubbers all around to make it easier to close but it still will not close fully.

Any suggestions apart from bringing it to a main stealer in these recessionary times?:confused:

Chevy RV

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Does it make any noise as it reaches the sticking point?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

mike65 wrote: »
    Does it make any noise as it reaches the sticking point?

It used to before the panel beater looked at it. I think he "solved" that problem with the oil but created the one whereby it doesn't close fully causing an irritating wind noise now instead which is all the time you drive and not just when you open/close the window.

Regards,

Chevy RV

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ploughbynight

We have an Xtype sport estate, and the driver window stops within 1/2 inch of the top. The wind noise is really annoying not to mention the security or lack of. When you press the up button and help the windo up it goes up fully.

Would love to find out the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The motors in the window mechanisms usually memorise their positions. If they ever forget what position they're in - what you're experiencing happens. What works for BMW is do to a reset, you push the down button and keep it held, even after the window is down keep it held for 10 seconds, then push the up button and keep it held for 10 seconds after it's closed. That should reset the mechanism.

It may not work for Jaguars - but it won't cost you anything to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ploughbynight

Tried what paintdoctor suggested but didnt work, worth a try. Suffered the noise and annoyance until a few days ago. The bloody window closed fully and has been operating perfect since...
    I dont know what happened but all seems ok now.
    In the meantime I have just replaced drive shaft on passenger side, bought part from UK, half the price of here..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

Chevy RV wrote: »
    It used to before the panel beater looked at it. I think he "solved" that problem with the oil but created the one whereby it doesn't close fully causing an irritating wind noise now instead which is all the time you drive and not just when you open/close the window.

Regards,

Chevy RV

Good News :- A few weeks later and the problem seems to have sorted itself out with the window closing perfectly now.

Thanks ,

Chevy RV

Advertisement