Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Perfect Flight?

Options
  • 07-08-2009 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Just flew from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia in Patagonia with LAN. I dont think Ive such a hassle free flight in years. Firstly it looked like I was going to miss it- I stupidly left my passport at the hotel and had to ask the taxi driver to turn back to fetch it. Luckily the airport is only 6km from the city center. In any case I didnt get to the airport until 32 minutes before my flight. I was convinced I had missed it or at the very best hoped I could talk my way on to it. When I got to check in there was three desks open with absolutely no queue. I apologised to to the attendent immediately for being late. She hardly blinked an eyelid and just said 'Esta bueno, no problemo'. Sweet.

Then at security, which also had no queue, I realised I forgot to put my lighter in the main luggage and that I was also holding a one litre bottle of water in my hand. I put them both on the belt expecting them to be confiscated immediately. Instead the guards just looked at them
    and waved me through. I walked to the gate fairly quickly and the end of the queue to get on the plane was just dissolving. My total times from the check in to the gate was 8 minutes.

Such an experience just makes you truly realise how much hassle there is to flying in Europe/the US these days. I just wish all flights/ check in procedures
    could be as easy and simple as the one I had today.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

all off their heads on coke :D, very low security over there senior , adios

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Glad to see the OP enjoyed his flight.

Flying is my least favourite form of travel. For me, in order of preference:

1) Ships
    2) Cars
    3) Trains
    4) Buses
    10) Planes

I'm not a Ryanair basher (normally), but I had a most imperfect experience with them at Frankfurt-Hahn last Friday week. Surly attendents, non-existent customer service, lengthy queues that made you feel like a steer in a cattle-pen, and a late departure.
    Not to mention their exorbitant €15 per kilogramme for all stowed luggage over 15kgs policy, which cost me very dearly. Next time, I'll just buy two seats.
    Oh, wait---there won't be a next time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Aer Arann are the only sane aircraft operator still out there (that I can easily get to anyway). Ryanair and Aer Lingus are just awful. I only fly if I absolutely have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭StephenM_smc

RATM wrote: »
    Such an experience just makes you truly realise how much hassle there is to flying in Europe/the US these days. I just wish all flights/ check in procedures
    could be as easy and simple as the one I had today.

On a Saturday morning I've done Glasnevin to the gate at Pier A in 20 minutes, including taxi, check-in and security (Albeit with the domestic flights door into the screening area), Dublin can be stress free too, just depends on the time of day I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The only thing with Aer Arran is the way your weight determines where you sit
    ( well Aer Arran Islands anyhow ;) )

Cityjet fly from London city which has a ten minute check in

Bengaluru airport was pretty stress and hassle free when I was there, and Jet Airways were a quality outfit too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I detest air travel. It's not the actual flight that bothers me but all the continuous queueing wrecks my head.

I much prefer to travel by ferry with my car below but obviously this has it's limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,777 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I always think that the big-airport experience could be mellowed out.

The search/metal detectors should be a great opportunity to enhance the airport experience.

Think about it.

It should be your opportunity to put your bags down, take your shoes off, take some time to chat to soak in the atmosphere and chat to fellow travellers ...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,145 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If its less than 24 hours away by road, I'll drive thanks. Only flights I've taken recently were Aer Arran to Cardiff (last minute and as a result the ferry was illogically expensive compared to Aer Arran - and flying them is an altogether less ****e experience than Aer Lingus/Ryanair) and Aer Arran Islands to Inisheer. Two return trips in 5 years!

I've driven to Holland and to the UK (repeatedly) in the mean time.

Advertisement