Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shallow Reef Shortboards

Options
  • 07-08-2009 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Thinking of buying a new shortboard. Came across Shallow Reef boards on the internet. I was looking at this perticular model here:
    http://www.shallowreef.ie/irish-surfboards/surfboard-details.asp?ID=2
    Just wondering does anyone have any experience with these and are they any good? Look reasonably priced too. If they're no good can you guys recommend something else?
    Cheers,
    -Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 stupidbaby

I have dealt with Cormac in Shallowreef - would highly recommend his boards. cheap too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

i also had one of his boards, but got a bigger one in the end. I don't see any probs with his boards. If you read through the site, you know what you are getting for your money..

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Anyone know where they have been designed or where they have been made... that almost seems too cheap...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭theo4130

loctite wrote: »
    Anyone know where they have been designed or where they have been made... that almost seems too cheap...:eek:

that is the price surfboards should be sold at, when you pay over €400 it is just for the brand/ famous shaper, they will be better boards with rails... but €270 for a short board is reasonable enough to sell it ethically and to still make a profit off it.

theo4130 wrote: »
    that is the price surfboards should be sold at, when you pay over €400 it is just for the brand/ famous shaper, they will be better boards with rails... but €270 for a short board is reasonable enough to sell it ethically and to still make a profit off it.

??? how can you say that... I've just purchased materials to make my own board. And I can tell you it came to a lot more than 270 euro. Small scale shapers could not make an "ethical" profit selling boards at 270 euro.

I'll agree that mass produced "famous shaper" boards are over priced considering they are probably coming from the same factories...

• Advertisement

loctite wrote: »
    ??? how can you say that... I've just purchased materials to make my own board. And I can tell you it came to a lot more than 270 euro. .

i made my own two decembers ago and the cost of all the materials, assuming i had the tools already came to €170 (6' 10" blank) it took me about 12 hrs of work so €100 euro labour adds up, i bought off seabase in dunlaoighre...
    maybe i am being unreasonable here, but i think overpricing stuff is just as bad as capitalism (is it not the same?) a lot of people dont have a problem with capitalism though so maybe a bad analagy.

what size board you making? how is it going?

i think i miss stated myself with the ethical profit, im trying to say that over priced boards are un-ethical.. for lack of a better phrase... €270 IS a friendly price...

Check this site out then.

http://maxamco.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008800570155/Showroom/3000000149681/ALL/6.htm

I've contacted them myself. Cost of a 6ft ish short board, what ever shape or size, (a few dollars extra for a different spray job) costs 98 euro. Assuming a full container being shipped. Cost of a container 4000 euro. That will hold 200 boards depending on size, that's 20 euro a board. VAT @ 21.5%. That brings a short board to 140 euro, That is cheaper than you or I can even buy the raw materials!! Totally agree that boards that are coming from these factories being sold at a premium are over priced.

But that is because of the channels of distribution. From manufacturers to regional distributors to shops to the customer. And at each stage everyone adding their take. (Whilst making money they are also employing people). There is nothing unethical about making a profit or being a capitalist.

I think you would be nuts to accept 100 euros as an appropriate exchange for 12 hours labour (assuming that that would be your full time job). You would be worse off than if you were working for minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

That 6'0 fish looks savage...

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

as a ding repairer i get so much china stuff through my workshop!!!
    shallowreef are among the worst!!

http://allthingsglide.blogspot.com/

• Advertisement

"as a ding repairer i get so much china stuff through my workshop!!!
    shallowreef are among the worst!!"
    do you mean that they are coming in all the time for being dinged real easy?
    (when companies produce performance boards [shortboards] do they tend to use lighter glass...fibre etc... for manouverability?)

theo4130 wrote: »
    "as a ding repairer i get so much china stuff through my workshop!!!
    shallowreef are among the worst!!"
    do you mean that they are coming in all the time for being dinged real easy?
    (when companies produce performance boards [shortboards] do they tend to use lighter glass...fibre etc... for manouverability?)

yeah they ding real easy!!!

shortboards are generally glassed 2 x 4oz deck and 1 x 4oz bottom
    but all the materials in chinese boards is crap so they just dont hold up and none is going to complain till the repair bills start stacking up

thanks for that,im goin to walk away with my tail between my legs now... apologies to loctite...

when you want t board theo give one of the irish shapers a call!! ;)
    one of them will give you a good deal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Surfboard4sale

its a nice choice on board but im selling a board, in great nick and ill give you a deal. Near limerick just like shallow reef boards and i can do free posting. the re-sale value stays up on the board too :D

Advertisement