Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving license in America?

Options
  • 07-08-2009 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

hi everyone,

just wondering can anyone tell me is my irish license valid to use in america for 2 weeks?? is it valid for me to drive an automatic car???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You need to get an international driving permit. If a cop stops you with an Irish license he will do you.

http://www.aaireland.ie/travel-insuranceone/idp.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

You need to get an international driving permit. If a cop stops you with an Irish license he will do you.

thanks for replying so quickly!
    i dont see anything on that link that says this is a necessity though, where did you get this idea? i thought the international driving license is only required when your license is not written with the alphabet used in english and so it is just a translation of your own

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

You need to get an international driving permit. If a cop stops you with an Irish license he will do you

Really ?

I have hired cars in the US many times on my driving licences ( a few times on a British licence and few times on an Irish one ) , never had any problem .

thanks for the info :D do you know if our licenses are okay with automatic cars as well? im assuming so but i want to make sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

thanks for the info :D do you know if our licenses are okay with automatic cars as well? im assuming so but i want to make sure!

Yes - no problem with hiring an automatic over there, personally I liked driving an automatic car, it meant I had less to worry about when driving on the 'other side'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭childoforpheus

thats great thank you! im thinking now that i should be safe without one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Really ?

I have hired cars in the US many times on my driving licences ( a few times on a British licence and few times on an Irish one ) , never had any problem .
    For the sake if e5 and a postage stamp I would rather have peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

No I was just surprised , I have now double checked , glad I was never done for speeding or whatever ....

I would now get one to be honest

i would get one if i had the time but im travelling in 2 days. ive checked it out, i dont need one so its grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're in Dublin, it appears you can wander into the AA office and they'll print it on the spot.

Useful to know, might grab one myself. My Irish driving licence is in tatters but doesn't expire till 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

The international drivers license is for people who dont have their normal license in the english language.
    It is NOT required in the US and is of no use to you unless you are going out of the EU and to a non english speaking country.
    The rental company in America will want your Irish/EU license only.
    Don't waste ur time/money folks.

I speak from various experiences of handing over one to the rental company and getting it handed back with "what is this? wheres your real license?"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Last January I drove a 5litre cadillac from PHX to Vegas on a full Irish driving license. Hired from Hertz, no questions asked about international drivers license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AA Ireland

dobsdave wrote: »
    The international drivers license is for people who dont have their normal license in the english language.
    It is NOT required in the US and is of no use to you unless you are going out of the EU and to a non english speaking country.
    The rental company in America will want your Irish/EU license only.
    Don't waste ur time/money folks.

I speak from various experiences of handing over one to the rental company and getting it handed back with "what is this? wheres your real license?"

We'd like to clarify a few issues raised here:
    Firstly, the AA would ask that you watch out for anything described as an International Driving Licence. There have been numerous scams in the past with such documents, where victims have been charged up to €80 for one. There is only one document of this type available in the Republic of Ireland and it's the International Driving Permit or IDP, which is available from the AA in Drury St, Dublin and South Mall, Cork for €5.08 (the 8c is due to the price remaining unchanged from the original £4 charge). No other document is recognised internationally and AA Ireland is the sole authorised issuer of Irish IDPs. They're available to anyone with a full Irish driving licence or an Irish resident with a full driving licence from an EU/EEA member state (utility bill with Irish address required).
    Secondly, the need for an IDP varies from country to country. There are very few places where an IDP is compulsory and certainly in the EU, an Irish driving licence is usually sufficient (that said, we have heard anecdotally of IDPs being requested by police in rural parts of southern Europe). In the US, car rental companies would be used to seeing Irish and other foreign licences and would have no problem accepting them with no further questons.
    However the IDP is often a good document to have if you're asked to produce your licence by police, who may not have come across an Irish driving licence before. The IDP is a translation of your national driving licence but it's also quite standardized throughout the world, so chances are that a police officer would be more like to have encountered an IDP before than an Irish driving licence.
    Thirdly, an IDP is not an independent document and is only valid with the national driving licence it was issued for. Handing it over on its own will not satisfy anyone, so it's important that your licence is kept with it at all times.
    More information is available on the AA Travel number: (01) 617 9988.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Sorry, that's nonsense.

For two weeks, an Irish drivers licence will cover you.

I'm moving abroad in three weeks time. That's where you need the International Drivers Permit, seeing as it is outside the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭SeanW

Nonsense. I rented a car in the U.S. with an Irish license and no IDP, no problem. Most states - if not all - do not require the IDP if your license is readable in English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I hired a car in San Diego last year with my Irish driver's licence. Was stopped by the highway patrol and they were happy with the Irish driver's licence too

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Geog

No problem to use your Irish licence there.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Geog

I produced my Irish licence when stopped by a cop on a routine check and there was no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,145 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You absolutely do not need an IDP in any English speaking country - its a translation of your licence and nothing more. RTDH is being paranoid, as usual.

In Tom Dunne's case, an IDP is of no use when moving abroad unless moving to a country where an Irish driving licence isn't accepted at face value due to language. It is not a permanent allowance to drive in another country - if the country you move to doesn't swap Irish licences you can only use it for however long they accept, usually 3, 6 or 12 months.

• Advertisement

thanks everyone for all your help and info :)

Advertisement