Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats really in our food?

Options
  • 07-08-2009 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Not too long ago, I found a nail clipping in a roll from a deli, on bringing it back they blamed the supplier saying they have already switched supplier before because they found twigs in their coleslaw! Tonight I got chips from my local chipper and found a maggot in with them!

All this got me thinking about whats really in our food, and I found this, http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/05/06/29/how_many_insect_parts_and_rodent_hairs_are_allowed_in_your_food.htm

could be complete rubbish but makes for an interesting read. So does anyone know any more stuff which ends up in our food.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

If you get too irated about links like that ,you would starve!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Better than eating sand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

Better than eating sand.

Or Nothing...

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

There's loads of protein in a maggot. Eat that bad boy up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's the soylent green you have to watch out for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Youtube "kentuckyfriedcruelty" with Pammy Anderson. Makes you think twice about spending hard currency in KFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Youtube "kentuckyfriedcruelty" with Pammy Anderson. Makes you think twice about spending hard currency in KFC.

I'd rather eat Kentucy Fried PETA Members.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I don't actually give a sh!t, as long as it tastes good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Do the people who eat there even think once?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Who is this 'local chipper'? Name and shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

The food is perfect hangover food, Pammy can fukk right off.
    davyjose wrote: »
    Do the people who eat there even think once?

hmmmmm, the inability to construct proper sentences does not help your case dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Remember one time in like...Junior Infants a fella found a used cigarette in his packet of crisps. I'm not sure anymore was that just a dream or what...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

My cat just ate a mouse so i guess for her, fur and a tail:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

hmmmmm, the inability to construct proper sentences does not help your case dude!

That's right, it must have been all the English I used :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 iain-not-ian

I usually just eat my finger nails straight off my fingers, I didn't know you could get them in a roll.

I eat there too, love that chicken gravy so much. Bad way to treat the poor chickens though. Don't give a crap about Pammy, but sometimes it takes someone who is a celeb to get the message out, you know what I mean.

They wouldn't use celebs for any type of advertising unless it worked, and it does.

Boiling the chickens alive is hardly humane, and jumping on them and throwing them at walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

The way they treat the ole chickens is fair bad alright. But it's not just KFC. Battery farms have been around for a long time. It's a shame but how else are the fast food chains gonna produce a bucket of cheap, artery clogging chicken?

Will post the vid here for convenience, don't stop watching the second you hear "PETA".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

I watched the video and I really don't give two ****s. They're only chickens.

So long as it's not human, yeah? That's your way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I watched the video and I really don't give two ****s. They're only chickens.

What exactly do you mean by "only". It implies "less". So what are chickens "less"? Less intelligent? Less pretty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I once got a huge ball of black hairs in a take-away serving of sweet and sour chicken. The nice man must have been combing his silky locks as he was frying off my chicken balls of loveliness and it just fell into my food. I haven't eaten Chinese food since 1990 - thanks to Ming Wah Take Away, Drumcondra Road.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

kraggy wrote: »
    So what are chickens "less"? Less intelligent? Less pretty?

Pretty much, their brains are just enough to sustain life. The animal is bread for us to eat.

I didn't watch the vid and I don't agree with cruel deaths for our food. I'll happily eat anything once its killed humanely and isn't endangered. Saving that I have to state that ignorance is bliss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Better than eating sand.

Yeah well when there's no meat, fowl or crawdad to be found what else is a man going to eat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

When I was in collage in the UK there was a kebab place where we would eat after a few beers. It shut down all of a sudden one week without any notice but turned out that a man from the water company reported them to the local council health inspector. The water company had turned off the water supply to the building 3 months previously because they didnt pay their bills.
    It begged the question, how did they cook and clean the place without running water.
    I still have nightmares...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

So long as it's not human, yeah? That's your way?

Why, are you a cannibal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I got a bit of glass in a spring roll from a chinese. You know when some glass shatters into those little bits? Well, it was one of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Cian92 wrote: »
    Not too long ago, I found a nail clipping in a roll from a deli, on bringing it back they blamed the supplier saying they have already switched supplier before because they found twigs in their coleslaw! Tonight I got chips from my local chipper and found a maggot in with them!

Jeasus - don't know where your getting your food but I think you need to upgrade your selection process! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Salvelinus

Keep an eye out for a documentary film called Food Inc, supposed ot be disturbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

KTRIC wrote: »
    Pretty much, their brains are just enough to sustain life. The animal is bread for us to eat.

I didn't watch the vid and I don't agree with cruel deaths for our food. I'll happily eat anything once its killed humanely and isn't endangered. Saving that I have to state that ignorance is bliss.

They're actually quite intelligent animals.

Even if they weren't, just because something is less intelligent, doesn't mean that the pain it feels is less.

The author of my sig once put forward an interesting point: if lesser intelligence is to be the reason we should deem it morally acceptable to test on animals, then it is more morally just to perform scientific experimentation on an child with a mental handicap than it is on many primates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Biggins wrote: »
    Jeasus - don't know where your getting your food but I think you need to upgrade your selection process! LOL
    yeah, and a good wash of the hands before you dip in might help, save nail bits, twigs and maggots falling from your hands into your food...

Advertisement