Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation Lorry trailers/ads in front of schools?

Options
  • 07-08-2009 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I noticed a big trailer parked by Fernbank school a few weeks ago and presumed they were having the building insulated as it was a cavity wall insulation company emblazoned on the side of it.

I then noticed it in the playground of Caherdavin girls school and now in front of the boys school in Caherdavin. Driving unexpectedly through Cratloe this evening, I saw a large sign attached to the school gates advertising the same thing....

Is it an advertising arrangement or are they insulating the buildings with no major evidence of work going on??

I've little to be worrying me this evening I know :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I would say theyre carrying out some work...do these things keep youawake at night? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Schools are closed so the areas in front of them are being used to park advertising trailers. One school principle that I know, has already gotten a trailer moved on from the gates of his school this month already. Similar to how Russells bar uses roundabouts and sides of roads to leave their advertising trailer around the place. Technically not legal, but it does not get clamped down on.

Hence the growing amount of companies doing it, and attaching advertising banners to fences etc. Just look at the fence by the traffic lights at Punches Cross for an example of it being done where it is not allowed, or at the next set of traffic lights on that road at where Childer's Road meets the Ballinacurra road. There is a wall beside the billboard that had a notice saying no bills/advertising allowed on the wall, and that wall gets plastered with adverts and one was over the "No bills" sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

They were outside Mungret/St. Nessans Primary school too.
    (some vans/trucks with some form of insulation business on them)

Raheen Business Park has at some trailer advertising Fran's
    sitting on the grass just off one of the footpaths for months.
    It looks as though someones tried to vandalise it on occasion, and
    one morning someone had tried to push it some distance and ended up collapsed
    across the foot bath. (the trailer not the person)

Outside Extravision and near the round about near the Cresent Shopping center there
    used to be trucks parked with Advertising that scrolled from ad to ad. Thought that
    was a little bit much as its a busy road and something like that especially where a huge
    had starts to move to a different ad is the kind of thing that could catch your eye and potentially distract you. They disappeared one day never to come back again.

Dunno if this is true to not but I thought I heard someplace that they are going
    to Ban people from putting For Sale Signs up on Cars driving about the place and
    leaving them parked by the road side as they could distract drivers which may
    lead to an accident.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

bullets wrote: »
    They were outside Mungret/St. Nessans Primary school too.
    (some vans/trucks with some form of insulation business on them)

Raheen Business Park has at some trailer advertising Fran's
    sitting on the grass just off one of the footpaths for months.
    It looks as though someones tried to vandalise it on occasion, and
    one morning someone had tried to push it some distance and ended up collapsed
    across the foot bath. (the trailer not the person)

Outside Extravision and near the round about near the Cresent Shopping center there
    used to be trucks parked with Advertising that scrolled from ad to ad. Thought that
    was a little bit much as its a busy road and something like that especially where a huge
    had starts to move to a different ad is the kind of thing that could catch your eye and potentially distract you. They disappeared one day never to come back again.

Dunno if this is true to not but I thought I heard someplace that they are going
    to Ban people from putting For Sale Signs up on Cars driving about the place and
    leaving them parked by the road side as they could distract drivers which may
    lead to an accident.

~B

The thing about the for sale signs on cars is already in effect, it is just that people ignore it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Won't someone think of the children? :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I would advise all parents to get their children insulated before we head into the Winter months. It may seem costly at first but you will save the money on cough bottles and GP visits in the long run. I would go for a lagging jacket/fibre glass combo. Keep the poor cratures nice and warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

All the schools have been given grants to get insulation in before the new school year starts hence why every school is surrounded by companies supplying insulation and wall cavity insullation at the moment,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

not a great idea to have these trucks parked in school playgrounds though - from a safety point of view. Caherdavin yard in particular was always a great place to have a kickround or learn to cycle in safe environment, having this truck parked there blocks that off. Of course, with the school getting fully enclosed with railings any day now, the community looses that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I am sure you shouldnt be trespassing anyway oh well?

Its been a right of way for over 30 years that the school has been open. In the appeal against the planning application for the fencing, it was unfortunately unable to prove that right of way. I wouldn't be trespassing anyway - don't live in the area but know it well. Have seen many kids learn to cycle there, play safely, etc. There is no footpath outside the school so its a safe route for kids to go through the yard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

oh well wrote: »
    There is no footpath outside the school so its a safe route for kids to go through the yard.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

oh well wrote: »
    Of course, with the school getting fully enclosed with railings any day now, the community looses that anyway.

Surely it's much better for the safety of school children in the yard during the school year? The boy's school has well enclosed playgrounds but the girl's school has been wide open. It's a school first and foremost. (Spot whose daughter is starting there next year?! ;) )

the girls school has a large enclosed playground at the back of the school where there is a basketball court and grassed area but the school chooses to only use this for the senior classes. The jnr/snr infants use a totally enclosed yard area. I can think of lot of better things to do with public money than spend over 300k on railing a school yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

The 'senior classes' use the enclosed one to the rear and the jnr/snr infants use another enclosed one? So 1st class to ??? use the large one in front of the school? These are still very young children. With a gaggle of them playing it is surely safer for then to be in an enclosed yard?

I take your point about the community having used it for over 30 years but I stand by my point that it is a school that has been wide open and this problem is now being addressed.

1st to 4th classes should have been in the back enclosed yard years ago - its been argued many a time but BOM won't accept that. The boys school managed to move their senior pupils into the enclosed yard 2 years ago with no argument from anyone (before that they played in the outer area in front of the scout hall).

Fully agree that safety is paramount, but there is a cheaper option though than spending excess of 300k to fence it in. Think of how much learning support/free schoolbooks, heating/lighting you could buy with that sum of money. move the middle age girls into the basketball yard too and no cost involved to anyone.

Advertisement