Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inbound delay on Ennis Rd today - 5.45pm

Options
  • 06-08-2009 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Does anyone know why there was such a traffic problem this evening inbound from Shannon? Approaching Setrights, traffic was all backed up so I took the Setrights exit only to get stuck for over 15 minutes at Cratloe level crossing with cars as far as I could see (nothing to do with level crossing gates).

Oncoming traffic told us to turn around and take Gallow's Hill route as nothing was getting through, so just when I went to turn, the car in front of me moved and then there was no evidence of anything - a clear run into Caherdavin.

Did I dream it all?! Was it something to do with the roadworks? Checkpoints?

Soooo frustrating :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is major construction work going on at the new Shannon Tunnel interchange at the Radison. It could have been that.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

Thanks bazz, I initially thought that (I travel the road every day) - but when the Cratloe Road was blocked as well, that didn't make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

it is due to the roadworks, I was caught in them about 8pm. There were delays both ways, and a warning for those who may be driving towards Limerick in the evening/night. When you come out of the roadworks after Setrights, they are placing a speed camera most evenings near the Ford dealer.

Keep in mind that many stretches of the dual carriageway, both inwards and outwards, now has a speed limit that varies between 50kph and 60kph, even in some stretches that have no roadworks, so it is like shooting fish in a barrel for the gentleman with the speedgun.

As a rule of thumb now, don't try to get to dual carriageway speeds until you pretty much reach Setrights on the road out, and on the road in, reduce your speed down from that point.

Thanks Kess73,

Whilst driving out this morning, I saw what the probable reason was. The inbound dual carriageway is closed entirely either side of the Radisson and the outbound is two way for that stretch.

Doesn't explain Cratloe road log jam unless it was normal dual carriageway users panicking at having to hold your breath while passing an oncoming car!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Probably some dual carriage way users using it as a rat race to avoid the roadworks when they see the traffic backed up. The old Cratloe road is not able for that sort of traffic volume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,789 ✭✭✭✭phog

Osk wrote: »
    Does anyone know why there was such a traffic problem this evening inbound from Shannon? Approaching Setrights, traffic was all backed up so I took the Setrights exit only to get stuck for over 15 minutes at Cratloe level crossing with cars as far as I could see (nothing to do with level crossing gates).

Oncoming traffic told us to turn around and take Gallow's Hill route as nothing was getting through, so just when I went to turn, the car in front of me moved and then there was no evidence of anything - a clear run into Caherdavin.

Did I dream it all?! Was it something to do with the roadworks? Checkpoints?

Soooo frustrating :mad:

Just as I approched Setrights I saw a few cars put on their hazard warning lights, I took the exit but decided to head for Gallows Hill as I thought the back road could get congested because a lot more traffic use that road since the crossover at the Radisson was closed.

BTW...if it was the roadworks then someone needs to learn about traffic management as there was no great warnings about traffic queues forming around the bend of the road :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

the roadworks had a traffic light system working in place yesterday at lunch time. Alot of traffic from Shannon coming into Limerick took off through Cratloe to avoid the roadworks and just congested that road. There is a speed limit of 50k along there, so should be well able to handle a traffic backlog and slow down appropriately. I thought there were plenty of warming lights and signs - its just that people don't obey the new speed signs.

oh well wrote: »
    the roadworks had a traffic light system working in place yesterday at lunch time. Alot of traffic from Shannon coming into Limerick took off through Cratloe to avoid the roadworks and just congested that road. There is a speed limit of 50k along there, so should be well able to handle a traffic backlog and slow down appropriately. I thought there were plenty of warming lights and signs - its just that people don't obey the new speed signs.

The traffic light system only went up yesterday, and it was only the outbound route that had plenty of signs up to yesterday. It was a right mess at the start of the week with long hold ups, and a poorly marked system.

Looked as though the new work had started before they put up the warning signs for motorists a few days later.

And the asshole drivers who ignore the 'fast-lane ending' warning signs and feel it's their god given right to force their way in at the last minute without even acknowledging the driver letting them in is a whole other thread. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

And the asshole drivers who ignore the 'fast-lane ending' warning signs and feel it's their god given right to force their way in at the last minute without even acknowledging the driver letting them in is a whole other thread. :mad::mad:

Thanks for that today,i saved so much time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

i try, whenever possible, to never let those idiots out in front of me...

The Dock road outbound is the exact same day after day. A total joke of a road, at least the dual carriageway bit should be back to normal in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

When i was going out to adare yesterday, there was a tailback and a few cars couldnt wait a few minutes - they were driving up the hard shoulder with their hazards on and then indicated to pull back in - Needless to say i didnt leave them back in!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

that happens all the time, but one time when I was in the traffice some people who used the hard shoulder were follwed by the gardaí in their unmarked car with the siren whaling, I was so delighted for them to get caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

bazz26 wrote: »
    Probably some dual carriage way users using it as a rat race to avoid the roadworks when they see the traffic backed up. The old Cratloe road is not able for that sort of traffic volume.

Why so? Were they hoping their Boss would be really impressed with their traffic congestion avoidance skills and promote them? :P
    When i was going out to adare yesterday, there was a tailback and a few cars couldnt wait a few minutes - they were driving up the hard shoulder with their hazards on and then indicated to pull back in - Needless to say i didnt leave them back in!

BMW Drivers, they just deserve to get there quicker than you or I...... Who does leave them back into traffic? I hate those Eejits even more!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Raiser wrote: »
    BMW Drivers, they just deserve to get there quicker than you or I...... Who does leave them back into traffic? I hate those Eejits even more!!!

Wasnt just BMW drivers - locals probably.

But nice to hear the gaaaardeeeeeeee were actually doing their job!

Advertisement