Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats Boston Scientific like to work for?

Options
  • 06-08-2009 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

They a nice firm to work for??..Salaries etc look good as would any pharma company...but does anyone know if they go overboard on anal stuff?(painful constant reviewing/hassle etc. instead of letting you get on with job)
    Cheers,
    Marty.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Are you looking for a job that will let you chillax & arse around? Try pennys or something.

They build pacemakers in Boston so it's as strict and controlled as you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Beaucoupfish

I worked there for 16 months 2004/05 on a production line.

It's big, very mundane and it can suck the life out of you because you could be doing the same thing day after day for weeks on end e.g glueing a piece of plastic onto a stent using a microscope

A wide cross section of people thrown together all day everyday in a room can be either very interesting or a nightmare.
    I used to day dream to get through most days or if someone nice was sitting beside me I often had interesting conversations.
    I found that employees who had been there for years resented the attitude of those who were only using the place for cash and had a plan of doing something more fulfilling.
    You will be given a rolling contract so job security is always an issue until after 2 years you must be by law given a permanent contract.

However on the upside I took advantage of any overtime available and got a respectable amount saved.
    Probably the highlight was the 3 day 12 hour shifts which gave me plenty of free time to look forward to.
    Canteen is good value.
    I also had Health cover which is a lovely perk, something I don't have now.

As it's so important for the products to be perfect there is absolutely no reason for you to have initiative, just follow the rules.

I eventually left because I gave up on trying to defend a colleague who was being bullied and it was being bogged down in protocol and red tape when all she needed was a good bollocking. It was easy to quit a job back then.

So overall it one of the worst experiences (although not the worst) I ever had but I had money in my pocket and it inspired me to do something where I could express myself and use my own initiative which I did straight afterwards. A good lesson for me.

I'm not trying to persuade you in anyway. That was my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Overblood, I certainly am not...quite the contrary in fact, i work in an FDA regulated environment and i know how mundane it can be. Very little scope for innovation as beaucouop fish eluded to.
    The position that i am looking @ is a staff position(days...desk job etc) , similar to one i have done for years, was thinking to myself "the grass is greener over there" but sounds like it may even be worse than where i am.
    Where i work they drive any initiative out of you by constant development type meetings that are beyond cringe...too american an approach altogether...too many buzz words and SFA action or accountability.
    Marty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Well marty it's the exact same in Boston Scientific. The answer is yes to every question in your original post. Money is all you want at the end of the day and that's all I'm there for. I'm leaving in 2 months for a rtw trip.

Advertisement