Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Building Cost?

Options
  • 06-08-2009 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, i m new to the boards but hope you can help me as we building at the minute and want to know what people think on our current costs to date. I ll try give as much detail as possible:
    Its a 3100 sq ft bungalow with 800 more in attic.
    its an unusual shape, in 2 seperate areas with an adjoining lobby that connects them both. There are 2 wrap around windows, 3.5m around both corners, and 2 single windows of the same on another wall all 1.75m high. We ve 2 french doors, a front door in same style in teak, and 14 other windows. The windows are all triple glazed pvc tilt and turn. The singles are 1.75m high x 800mm
    We went with 80mm insulation in a 120mm cavity and a 9ft ceiling with 150mm insulation. The floor is in 2 stages with 100mm insulation. We ve geothermal and underfloor split into 2 areas, living v bedroom. Its a nap external finish with, with 2 chimneys. it has 1 main bathroom, 2 ensuites and 1 wc. We re going with oak doors and skirting throughout. The wiring is as per most houses, nothing high tech. We went with granite cills and chimney pots. The roof has trutone slates and 3 veluxs in the rear above the attic space. The build is really high quality work, and i am not alone in saying that.

Currently, for the build to that spec, including the geo/ufloor, attic floored and slabbed but not skimmed, no sanitry ware though, we re looking at £238,000. This is on our own site in carlow. In addittion, I ve paid for all the digger work and there is quiet a bit, and getting the site ready. This will be about £9000- a bank of 10 ft at the back of the house. We re looking at a 1.5m x 60m retaining wall which will be £4000 or so. Throw in the well digging at £1500.. Its all adding up!! We hope to be in the house, completly finished externally and internally, furnished/painted/landscaped, solicitors, development fees, fenced, for £350000, which would be £100 approx per sq/ft on our own site.
    What do ye reckon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

If already built there seems not a lot the board can do except make you feel guilty or not guilty..:rolleyes:

Seems ok though compared to what my 2 brothers spent on their houses - both just short of 4000 sq ft and both around 400k.

100 euro per sq ft should give you a very good final spec with a little DIY and self managed build.

Steve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Sounds like a great spec for that mula.

Get the BBQ and a crate of beer and ENJOY:)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mazotasan

Yeah agree with above €100/sq ft is a good rule of thumb for a decent spec. Am just getting into our own build and have constructed a detailed spreadsheet for to check/manage the budget. After retreating from the detail I found €75/sq ft would probably do it for a basic spec and this increases then when you choose higher quality materials / plumbing / electrical / finishing etc. The likes of say a high end kitchen will skew these figures also...but its down to a 'nice to have' v's 'have to have'!! best of luck with the completion

• Registered Users Posts: 8 old yellar

thanks for the views. its very hard to know how things are working out when you get into them. you think you are being taken a bit when the extras start coming in etc. its hard to factor in all the bits that are outside of building the house, like the digging, the well and all that. You d wonder were you getting a good deal done at all.. I ve attached a picture of the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Mouth

ya nice house,,, when did they say it will be ready....

im looking for someone to do my walls and gates was told to use www... tut tut read the charter....com but their site isnt working at the mo, or else its my comp, any other recommendations,,, are you getting a retaining wall done for the house???

any how looking good..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 old yellar

yeah to the rear and side of the house hopefully. This is a better pic. large bank to the rear of the house and at sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Lightning McQue

Old Yellar

Could you let me know where did you get you're windows from?

Lightning

Advertisement