Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths: Higher or Ordinary?

Options
  • 06-08-2009 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hello,
    I am currently doing HL maths but my whole 4th year was a time consuming struggle with it. I am only interested in a Law or Business degree and what I mean by that is that Science courses are not on my agenda at all. What courses require HL maths and is it worth keeping on if my other subjects will be losing out on time I can spend on them if I keep HL maths on thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭ascend

hi samapp,

I was in a similiar situation to you when i was doing my leaving cert. I dropped down to ordinary level maths, and did fairly well in it. I went on the study a business degree (accounting and finance) and I am now working in an accounting practice.

I don't believe that doing honours maths at leaving cert if critical if you intend on studying business (or law), but i think that if you did do honours maths it would look slightly favourable in an interview for a job after college (from experience from accountancy firm interviews).

At the end of the day if you think that your other results are suffering as a result of having to put too much time into honours maths then maybe consider dropping to ordinary level. Just make sure you concentrate on aiming to get the points you require for college course you wish to apply, as well as the specific entry requirements, (such as a minimum C3 in some honours subjects).

Have a discussion with your maths teacher / career guidance individual to get their opinion. hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

As the poster above said keep it up till 6th year as you ll benefit much more from the higher standard of maths problems you ll be doing and more importantly you won't ignore the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭shovelsfc

My advice is to continue doing higher level...i did it too and i dropped back to pass few weeks before exams, biggest mistake!!
    If you want to drop to lower level, make sure u do it a year before the exams, because the format is different between higher and lower level.

Advertisement