Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NRL coverage on Setanta

Options
  • 06-08-2009 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Noticed last week no sign of any live games in the TV listings and again this week! So is that it?? They just pulled the plug on any coverage coming up to the Finals?? Bloody gutted if thats the case:mad: Damn you Setanta!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

yep, it's frickin' heartbreaking

as a follow-up to this (the greatest disaster since the Great Emergency) ...
    I emailed the NRL and today received this reply:
    Hi Michael,

Thank you for your email.

We are still looking into finding a new broadcast partner in Ireland. In the meantime, all NRL matches, Finals & Grand Final are being streamed live on our website www.nrl.com for our fans in the UK and Ireland.

Kind regards

Elke Smith

Reception
    T: +612 9339 8500
    F: +612 9339 8509
    E: reception@nrl.com.au

National Rugby League Limited
    The Entertainment Quarter
    Level 2, 215 Bent Street
    Moore Park NSW 1363
    GPO Box 3498, Sydney NSW 2001
    www.nrl.com
    the last I checked, the watch live link did not work but who knows what will happen next week.

p.s. for a bit of unrelated fantasy ... my weekly email newsletter from the Sydney Roosters today contained the following gem:
    Roosters out to haunt Eagles at SFS

The Sydney Football Stadium is the very place that could bring the Manly Sea Eagles title defence to its knees and Brad Fittler knows it.

If only it could be true, life it tough for us chooks

well, the picture quality was a bit suspect at times but it worked:
    http://bigpondtv.com/SOO2UK
    will only work for live games, if you try to catch replays or anything else it will just redirect you to where to pay for stuff.

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Cheers for that Gregg, I'm sure you're pissed that the Roosters ended with the wooden spoon, threw it away 'gainst the Cowboys. Disappointing send off for Fitzgibbon. Oh well theres always next season;)

you know, much and all as I've been a Roosters fan for many decades I'm hugely disapointed at the way in which the club and some of it's players conducted themselves this year off-field. I reckon they got what they deserved at the end of the day. Harsh words but I love the game more than my team. Sad for Fitz though.
    Would love to see Parra go all the way, failing that, Manly for the title will keep me happy.

• Advertisement

so the NRL are now providing a pay per view service via omnisport.tv for the rest of the season:
    http://www.nrl.com/newsviews/latestnews/newsarticle/tabid/10874/newsid/56667/living-overseas-watch-the-finals-live/default.aspx

so the free streaming option is gone. I've not tried the new ppv service for today's Manly/Melbourne game but will give it a spin soon enough. Works out at around EUR4.12 per game. All subjective but it's worth it to me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

old gregg wrote: »
    so the NRL are now providing a pay per view service via omnisport.tv for the rest of the season:
    http://www.nrl.com/newsviews/latestnews/newsarticle/tabid/10874/newsid/56667/living-overseas-watch-the-finals-live/default.aspx

so the free streaming option is gone. I've not tried the new ppv service for today's Manly/Melbourne game but will give it a spin soon enough. Works out at around EUR4.12 per game. All subjective but it's worth it to me anyway.

Am looking for a place to watch the mighty Eels beat the Storm this weekend in Dublin. Looks like the Woolshed aren't showing it live?

Did you have any luck with the paid streaming during the finals so far?

yep, tried it out for the mighty Eels v Puppies game last week and was happy enough with the quality. It's not perfect but on a decent broadband connection and by clicking the Hi Def button it's totally watchable, maybe as good as a good quality youtube video.

The downsides are that the coverage only begins when the teams take to the field, stops during half time and ends as soon as the game finishes. maybe that will expand a little for the final but it would be nice to enjoy the build-up, half time banter and post match celebrations.

This week'#s game will start at around 06:00am according to the interweb site which is a minor bummer as I'll be partying in Dublin the night before and was hoping for a sleep in :D

For sure GO PARRA!!!!!

old gregg wrote: »

This week'#s game will start at around 06:00am according to the interweb site which is a minor bummer as I'll be partying in Dublin the night before and was hoping for a sleep in :D

For sure GO PARRA!!!!!

You've got an extra couple of hours sleep...by my calculations the game will KO at 8am. (5pm local time + we are minus 9hrs at the moment). GO PARRA!

Ok that's a little more respectable an hour for a middle aged party animal :D

btw, was in Dub today and while walking past the woolshed (is that what it's called) and they have it playing as a 12:00 Sunday afternoon replay ... assuming you could spend all morning listening to death metal on headphones to prevent you hearing the score from the throngs of celebrating Parra fans taking over the GPO and drop in just before kickoff you could even pretend it was live .... sort of.

• Advertisement

can't risk it!! It's gonna have to be live somewhere!!

yea, know how you feel. I'm supposed to be staying in Dublin for the weekend for the music show and have pretty much decided to travel back to Waterford on Sat night just I can be certain that I'll catch it live and then drive back to Dublin. Anywhere else leaves too much that can go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭mountain

another alternative would be to listen to radio coverage from one of the sydney radio stations, maybe roy and hg are calling it on triple m?

Dont forget that roy and hg will be giving their opinions on monday on triple m regardless, i download it from itunes.

Have signed up at www.omnisport.tv for US$5.99 -streaming starts at 6am - I think KO is at 7am because the clocks changed in Sydney overnight and it is now a 10hr difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If KO is at 7 and I can find a half-decent free stream I should see the second half. :)

IH77 wrote: »
    Have signed up at www.omnisport.tv for US$5.99 -streaming starts at 6am - I think KO is at 7am because the clocks changed in Sydney overnight and it is now a 10hr difference.

yep, same here. o dear, it's sad when you have weekend tix for a music show and you can't stay in case you miss the footy so travel from dublin back to waterford just to make sure everything is set up for some 'ribbed for extra pleasure' footy.

soccer fans don't have this problem. neither do Darts fans for that matter :D

GO PARRA!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement