Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TR017 - Law & Business - changes & CAO question

Options
  • 06-08-2009 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

It appears that TR017 Law & Business at Trinity has been changed.

Constitutional law will no longer be taught in first year, being replaced by Contract.

An additional mandatory Business course has also been added for second year - bringing the total business courses to three instead of two.

These changes were only added on July 5th, after the Change of Mind deadline.

I've e-mailed CAO asking them to erase TR017 from my choices. They wrote back telling me they had contacted Trinity, who said no changes were made. I re-e-mailed CAO, outlining the exact changes, and they've forwarded that on to Trinity.

Anyone any ideas on my chances of getting it off my choices?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Anyone any ideas on my chances of getting it off my choices?

Slim to none methinks. Could you provide a link to the info about the change in the course? Perhaps Constitutional law might have been moved to a later year? IMO, best thing to do is to phone the Law School in UD and have a chat with them to see what the story is about the course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

I'd say that if the course was changed after the change of mind, and it hadn't been communicated, you have a good chance of it being removed. The CAO, though strict, are very fair. If this is a substantial change to the course, you'd think they'd have to allow your course to be removed from your list of choices. If this isn't a substantial change, but merely a small reshuffling or alteration of your course, they might not be so obliging however. They realize how big a part they play in the path people's lives take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭the_wheel_turns

Slim to none methinks. Could you provide a link to the info about the change in the course? Perhaps Constitutional law might have been moved to a later year? IMO, best thing to do is to phone the Law School in UD and have a chat with them to see what the story is about the course...

Constitutional has been moved to second year, yeh. They are very blatant changes though in fairness.

Here's part of the e-mail with the links:

I realise that Trinity has informed you that it
    hasn't changed. This is either not true, or parts
    of their website are displaying different
    information.

For example, at
    http://www.tcd.ie/courses/undergraduate/az/course.php?id=262,
    it is clearly stated under the heading 'Course
    Content' that in second year, only TWO business
    courses are mandatory:

"The two mandatory business courses are the core
    business discipline courses: Management 1 and 2.
    In addition, students can choose from business,
    language or broad curriculum modules."

The plan was for me to take French. However, on
    the Law School's website, at
    http://www.tcd.ie/Law/Courses/index.php#Business,
    there are THREE mandatory business courses, and no
    apparent option for continuing the language.

Constitutional Law was supposed to be studied in
    first year, per
    http://www.tcd.ie/courses/undergraduate/az/course.php?id=262
    ("In the Junior Freshman (first) year students
    take six courses each equal to 10 ECTS credits.
    Students take three mandatory law courses: The
    Irish legal system and Legal skills,
    Constitutional law I, and Torts law."), however,
    on the Law School's website, Constitutional Law is
    not timetabled until second year for Law &
    Business students,
    http://www.tcd.ie/Law/Courses/index.php#Business .

The Law School website was changed on July 5th,
    after the Change of Mind deadline, ("Last Modified
    5 July, 2009 by Catherine Finnegan.") and had I
    known about such changes to the fundamental design
    of the course, I would have decided to erase it
    altogether from my choices.

pjtb wrote: »
    I'd say that if the course was changed after the change of mind, and it hadn't been communicated, you have a good chance of it being removed.

I'm hoping that's the case. :) Well, the emphasis on the original course was on Law in years 1 & 2, but the newly "reshuffled" course has a more equal focus on both law and business in the first two years.

It all comes down to whether or not the changes I've pointed out are "substantial", as you say...:(

I don't want to do the course at all, stupid idea putting it as no.2 Just trying to use this as an excuse to get it off my choices!!

*cough*

Anyway...

Methinks there might be a mistake online somewhere. Like I said, give the law school a shout and see what they have to say...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

If you end up in this course, you can switch to a different course within Trinity in the first month or something, if you have the points.

My friend went from Law (His 1st choice) to Law and German.

My brother's flatmate in 1st year went from Law to Pharmacy, etc etc.

It's all about the internal changin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

hmmm... i think i have put it down in my CAO alright , i don't think i will get it..

i don't know what to expect from the it -___- ..i didn't do my homework at all

Received the following e-mail from the Admissions Office at TCD:

I received your query from CAO regarding the “Law and Business” course at Trinity.
    I am pleased to inform you that you may proceed with your original plan, as students may select a language module or a third business module in the second year of this programme. The Law school have confirmed this information and they have updated their website accordingly.
    Regarding the timing of the Constitutional Law module: this is a core professional module that all students must take. Therefore, the timing of this course (first year v. second year) makes no major difference.
    Now my only hope is I don't get the points for it.. :mad::mad:
    What do you reckon? I'd say everyone who chose B&L in UCD would have placed Law & Business in TCD higher?! Any ideas?!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

What do you reckon? I'd say everyone who chose B&L in UCD would have placed Law & Business in TCD higher?! Any ideas?!

Not necessarily.. B&L does have the advantage of being a well established course with a good reputation and there is usually high demand for B&L graduates. People sometimes tend to be wary of a course in its first year.. take Law and Arts in Maynooth last year for example.

~Candy~ wrote: »
    i didn't do my homework at all

implied-facepalm.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement