Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Social Scene

Options
  • 06-08-2009 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Just wanted to profess my love for this band. Best band in the world! (Well in my opinion at least). Just the sheer variety of their stuff is incredible. You don't know what their going to do next. Definitely think that they are a very underated band, yes they did have alot of hype, but they should be alot bigger imo. Who agrees?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Massive BSS fan. Seen them live a load of times. Gigs can really depend on the quality of the line up on the night though. Cause = Time and Lovers Spit are probably 2 of my favourite songs of all time. Liked Kevin Drews solo effort but found Cannings a bit harder to get into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Bleaching your teeth, smiling flash, talking trash, under your breath.

What a fantastic band. They became one of those 'blog bands' I suppose, that had plenty of hype but never reached the level of commercial success they deserved, which would be something on-par with The Postal Service (i.e a CD in everyones car!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Absolutely fantastic band with two amazing albums. The part in 'It's All Gonna Break' where the trumpets come in 3/4 way through is one of the most 'hairs on the back of your neck raising' moments in music!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Yes, this thread was needed! Such a great band, so much talent in one place having a good time could only result in great tunes. One of my biggest musical influences too whenever I work with bands. Dying to see them live sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SauceMonster

Good on you....love love love this band. Seen them quite a few times now, always a great show. I dont know why but no matter how many times i listen to their songs (particularly on "Feel Good Lost" or "You Forgot it in People") it always feels very improvised, like they are playing it for the first time as im listening to it. And its bloody great to shag to :D.

I also read an article in The Guardian a few weeks ago (id link it if i could find the poxy thing) where the journalist highlights the "breathiness" in their songs... sounds stupid but she was spot on, next time you listen pay attention to the deep inhales and exhales. I love the way she described "Lovers Spit" saying the whole song just feels like a heaving chest.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

I only discovered this band recently myself - through the webcomic Questionable Content, which references a constant stream of quality indie bands - but I'm delighted I did. Magnificent band altogether, my favourite song is probably Love & Mathematics off Feel Good Lost. And up to 17 members too! They say '1 in every 5 Canadians is a member of Broken Social Scene'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Bleaching your teeth, smiling flash, talking trash, under your breath.

What a fantastic band. They became one of those 'blog bands' I suppose, that had plenty of hype but never reached the level of commercial success they deserved, which would be something on-par with The Postal Service (i.e a CD in everyones car!)

That's my favourite lyric!

Saw youtube footage of them performing in the hollywood bowl about a month ago, when they played Transatlanticism (AWESOME song) they had fireworks going off from the stage when he sang the lines 'I need you so much closer.... so c'mon...' Looked amazing, can't imagine how savage it would've been to have witnessed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Absolutely fantastic band with two amazing albums. The part in 'It's All Gonna Break' where the trumpets come in 3/4 way through is one of the most 'hairs on the back of your neck raising' moments in music!:P

recommend me an album? I must hear more...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭silverwater

Their self-titled is their biggest one, their Major Label Debut (which they cleverly call a song on it also.)
    But I prefer You Forgot It In People. Brilliant album.
    Feel Good Lost I couldn't get into. Think they should leave the ambient to others too be honest.

Fantastic band all in all. Saw them live last time they were in Vicar St and it was incredible. Youtube videos of Drew doing Superconnected solo on keyboard don't convey how great it was to be there.
    Shook Canning's hand and all! His leg kicks.... Mmmm....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Davie_m

think BSS are an awesome band and would recommend to anyone to give them a listen..

an aussie lad i used to work with back in 2005 gave me a listen to 'you forgot it in people' and loved it from day one.

listening to broken social scene has introduced me to a load of other stuff from either solo work from group members or where some have collaborated with other bands.
    such as:
    metric/emily haines
    feist
    stars/amy milan
    kevin drews solo stuff
    brendan cannings solo stuff (wasnt madly impressed with this save from a couple of tracks)
    jason collett
    the stills
    most serene republic
    new buffalo

saw them live over here a couple of times and always really enjoy the shows
    you forgot it in people is def my favorite album but that could be because it was the first BSS album i listened to.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭O'Neill

Don't forget Do Make Say Think.

Also dont forget Raising The Fawn....John Crossinghams solo project....The North Sea is a fine album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRbE_IElMPk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

O'Neill wrote: »
    Don't forget Do Make Say Think.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

O'Neill wrote: »
    Just wanted to profess my love for this band. Best band in the world! (Well in my opinion at least). Just the sheer variety of their stuff is incredible. You don't know what their going to do next. Definitely think that they are a very underated band, yes they did have alot of hype, but they should be alot bigger imo. Who agrees?
    Well when you have 20+ members...

But yes, BSS are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Kold wrote: »
    Well when you have 20+ members...

But yes, BSS are very good.

Hmm in fairness its not a constant line up of 20+ members, it seems to be a rotating line up as such, anyway I'm just being argumentative, they are a savage band - was just listening to them a while ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Their gig in the Music Centre was one of the best I've ever witnessed. Hadn't listened to them in a while, decided I'd head along to check out the new stuff and was absolutely blown away for nearly 3 hours! Magnificent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Cubscout

They are possibly the best band of the last 10 years.However I think Kevin Drew's "Spirit If..." trumphs any BSS effort.Off-topic but aren't Leslie Feist and Kevin Drew such a creative couple!I mean "Teh Reminder" is such a great album too."You Forgot It In The People" and "Broken Social Scene" are both great albums too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Absolutely wonderful band. Vicar St last year would be in my top 5 gigs EVER. I had to go home after the gig as it was week before the Leaving Cert, but the people I went with headed on to Whelans where the band turned up. The guy I was seeing at the time got chatting to Kevin and got me the greatest present I've ever received: Clicky!
    th_Photo153.jpg

Lovers Spit on Bee Hives is beautiful, sung by Leslie Feist.
    Wasn't keen on Cannings BBS Presents, and really don't like Stars, but the others are pretty great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Twee. wrote: »

Lovers Spit on Bee Hives is beautiful, sung by Leslie Feist.
    Wasn't keen on Cannings BBS Presents, and really don't like Stars, but the others are pretty great.

Ah Stars have some good songs like Your Ex Lover Is Dead and Soft Revolution. Havent liked much since the Set Yourself On Fire album though. Saw them in The Village when they were touring that and they were brilliant but when they came back touring the next album they were rubbish.

Was anyone at the Kevin Drew gig in Tripod where he was drinking the bottle of JD and kept getting drunker as the set went on. He did a cover of The Streets Have No Name which was brilliant and then did a stage dive after saying he wouldnt all night. Good times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

The Reminder was very weak, imo. Very poppy and meh. Let it Die was a better album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

brilliant band definitely my favourite ever (hence the user name) great guys as well. i've seen them 10 times now and every gig was outstanding :)

they are working on a new album at the moment will probably be out late this year or early next.

charles spearins (bss and do make say think member) solo album is brilliant as well i definitely recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭ronano

not sure if ppl mentioned the apostle of hustle but some fantastic stuff there

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭pancake_tuesday

Havn't listened to this band in a while. Really good. Never seen them live but can only imagine that they are epic!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

BSS rock. Fire Eye'd Boy is almost a perfect song. They approach genius at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Can't seem to find the video that got me into them , it was just bandwitch used over some crazy footage of some bicycle couriers racing in new york

will post it if i can find it :mad:

Edit found it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jamieharte

My brother got me the self-titled album about 3 years ago and I've been hooked ever since. If ever an album rewards repeated listening it's this one. However I'm starting to think 'You forgot it in people' was even better. BSS fans should check out the film 'Half Nelson' where a lot of their music is beautifully used. There's an absolutely amazing scene using 'Shampoo Suicide' at the climax of the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdPwFKsDS2Y

Advertisement