Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taylor Interview

Options
  • 06-08-2009 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭

After 14 World Championships, eight World Grand Prix wins, four Premier League titles and countless other tournament victories, you might think Phil Taylor would be a little bit bored of picking up trophies.

But according to The Power, the winning feeling just gets better and better.

Taylor's darting dominance came to the fore once again in Blackpool as he stormed to his 10th World Matchplay win, dropping just 20 legs in the entire tournament and dismantling Terry Jenkins 18-4 in a one-sided final.

But Taylor insists there is still much more to achieve in the game - and worryingly for his rivals he still doesn't think he has reached his peak.

skysports.com caught up with The Power the day after his Blackpool triumph to discuss the state of darts and where he wants to take the game in the future.

He revealed his plans for world domination, as well as telling us he has had no thoughts about hanging up his arrows just yet.

Taylor also spilled the beans on his biggest rivals, his sporting heroes... and the special haircut he sported in Blackpool.

Hi Phil. Congratulations on winning the World Matchplay...
    Phil Taylor: Cheers. I enjoyed that one.

Do you not get bored of winning all the time?
    PT: Never in a million years. I love it. As you get older it gets better because you appreciate things more. When you're young, you're foolish and you don't realise how lucky you are, but as you get older you realise how good you've got it. As a young man you think it's going to last forever, but as you get older you realise this is going to come to an end one day so you make the most of it.

Rod Harrington said on Sky Sports you shouldn't look at your bank balance because you might lose your desire. How do you keep yourself motivated?
    PT: I don't think about money, I just get on with the next tournament. Blackpool's won, there's nothing I else I can do about that, so we'll get on with the next one. You're only as good as your next tournament. It's my job, like anyone else's. You get up in the morning, you get your job done, then the next day you do your job again. That's just what you do.

Do you think you have reached your peak yet?
    PT: No. I think I can do a little bit better.

How? What more is there for you to achieve?
    PT: I want a couple more World Championships and I love the World Matchplay too. I'm going to keep pushing and pushing. I just want to keep playing and to keep enjoying it. It's up to the other players to get off their backsides...

Do you think the gap is getting bigger between you and the rest of the field?
    PT: Haha! No. Certain players can do it. James Wade can match it and Gary Anderson can do it, easy. There are certain players.

But what have they got to do to start matching you on a more consistent basis?
    PT: Well, I'm not going to tell them because if I did then they'd all start doing it! They've got to learn by working hard and making mistakes.

What mistakes have you made?
    PT: I've made loads over the years, mainly not preparing properly. Knowing how to prepare is the secret really. You've got to learn what suits you. I can practise one way, you can practise another and my way might not suit you.

Who would you list as your main rivals at the moment?
    PT: Raymond van Barneveld and James Wade. Gary Anderson is a good player, but he's not performing like he can yet. There's a lot of good players now. You've got to turn up and you've got to be at your best. It's like Manchester United, if they're not at their best they get beaten. I've got to turn up and be at my best every time.

But when you are at your best do you think anyone can match you?
    PT: Not at the moment. I don't think so, no.

Are there any young players that you think could break through and rival you in the future?
    PT: There's loads and loads and loads, but they haven't quite got it yet. There's a few that I'd like to get hold of and practise with and get them up there.

Why don't you then?
    PT: Get lost! Ha ha! To be honest, I've done it before and they don't appreciate it. Let them learn the hard way!

Are there any thoughts about retiring yet? It might give some of the others a chance!
    PT: That's an easy question to answer - bog off! Haha!

So you haven't got a retirement date in mind?
    PT: No. I was talking to Robbie Williams' dad, Pete, and he says you know when the right day comes. He says it just hits you and realise 'I've had enough, now!'

Have you had any thoughts about what you might do after darts?
    PT: I'd like to promote the game, be an ambassador for the game. I'd probably do a bit of TV work for Sky, who knows? I don't know what's around the corner yet. I might just buy myself a villa and go fishing!

So you're not going to pursue an acting career after your appearance on Coronation Street?
    PT: I'd love to do that. There's so many offers for things coming in. Barry Hearn sorts all of that out, it's just hard to find the time. But it was good fun doing Coronation Street, they treated me very well.

Do you think darts is in good shape at the moment?
    PT: Yeah. Brilliant. We're going to global and take the game abroad.

Where are you planning to conquer?
    PT: We have a little break in January so we're going to go to Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, countries like that. They love darts and they're asking for it. They are going to televise it so The Power is going global! I can't wait to play in Dubai. That'll do for me!

People say getting darts into the Olympics would also help the global image of the sport. Would you like to see that happen?
    PT: Well it's too late for the next one, but maybe in the next few years, you never know. I'm not sure if darts needs it, I think the sport is fine the way it is. I don't think the Olympics would make any difference.

Sid Waddell has listed you as one of the top five sportsmen of all time, alongside Pele and Babe Ruth. How do you react to comments like that?
    PT: It's very humbling for me. What can you say when somebody is comparing you to some of the best there's ever been? It's brilliant. If you look at my record and you go on tournament wins then obviously I will be up there because I've won thousands of the things. But it's very nice when somebody says that about you.

Which sportsmen do you admire away from darts?
    PT: I love Steven Gerrard, I think he's brilliant. I admire a lot of footballers, Stanley Matthews is another one. In boxing I love people like Joe Calzaghe and Nigel Benn. I thought Daley Thompson was fantastic and I loved Stephen Hendry when he was at his best. I like winners, I do.

So who would you list as the all-time sporting greats?
    PT: I'd go for people like Bobby Charlton. He stood the test of time, he wasn't just a one-hit wonder. Stanley Matthews was another one of those. Daley Thompson was fantastic and Steven Redgrave was an absolute star. He did 25 years of proper dedication. I know Steve and I know how he used to train, the bloke's a bloody animal. I'd love to be remembered alongside people such as those.

Do you think you get enough recognition?
    PT: I'm fine, I'm not worried about it. I live a good life, I earn a good living and I've got no hassles. That'll do for me.

And finally, a lot of people have been talking about the new haircut you were sporting in Blackpool...
    PT: That's the Power Cut is that!

What's the story behind it?
    PT: I went for a trim and the lady asked me if she could put a pattern in my hair. I said 'yes, carry on!'

So is it here to stay?
    PT: No, no, no! I'm far too old for that! Haha!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Nice little dig at Adrian Lewis in there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

he's dead right tho, Adrian Lewis was given a fast track to success, practicing with the best

he doesnt realise what he's given up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

He has the same initials as me!:eek:

Advertisement