Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking in Thomond Park

Options
  • 06-08-2009 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

hi, i dunno where the rite place for this thread is but i was just wondering if its ok to drink in the stadium for the ireland v australia match? just wanted to know if im able to bring my own etc and was also wondering if anyone knows if its going to be a sellout?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I'd hazzard a guess at No ... No ... and No

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

there are bars but you cant bring booze to your seat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I was in Croker having a sneaky pint at the concert in the Premium level not bothering anybody. Plastic cup, drink neatly tucked away under my seat and then this heavily pregnant woman 3 seats away rats on me to the steward that I had a drink stashed.

For no reason at all !

unbelievable.

If you're reading Love, GFY

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Pal wrote: »
    I was in Croker having a sneaky pint at the concert in the Premium level not bothering anybody. Plastic cup, drink neatly tucked away under my seat and then this heavily pregnant woman 3 seats away rats on me to the steward that I had a drink stashed.

For no reason at all !

unbelievable.

If you're reading Love, GFY

What a bitch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

So, is there a good reason why you can't have a drink at your seat in either croke or thomond?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

It just seems to be the norm these days in most stadiums in the UK and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Noffles wrote: »
    So, is there a good reason why you can't have need a drink at your seat in either croke or thomond?

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

in Germany recently at the U2 show there was drink allowed on the train to the stadium (sold on the platform kiosk) and then also OK during the gig in the seats.

try that in Ireland !

Some people have a different attitude to drink completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭sioda

Personally I miss having a few pints while watchin the rugby especially on the rare fine evenings.

Still bring my hip flask of jameson to every game though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

i know they are allowing people bring their drinks (from the bar to their position in the stadium) which was allowed from the elton john concert onwards but im wondering if id get away with bringing in a normal sized bottol of coke with vodka in it? i plan on heading out afterwards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

yeah i say you be grand with that.if its in a bottle of coke they're not gonna know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

You definitely cant drink in the stands but im pretty sure (not 100% certain tho) that u can still bring a plastic pint into the terraces.
    Last time in the stand i brought a plastic lucozade bottle with vodka and mixer in it...no ones gonna know!!
    Marty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

martyc5674 wrote: »
    You definitely cant drink in the stands but im pretty sure (not 100% certain tho) that u can still bring a plastic pint into the terraces.
    Last time in the stand i brought a plastic lucozade bottle with vodka and mixer in it...no ones gonna know!!
    Marty.

No beer on the terraces

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

It just seems to be the norm these days in most stadiums in the UK and Ireland.

Millenium Stadium...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

he's not talking about a drink from the bar, he's talking about bringing in a bottle of coke with vodka in it..i don't think you'll have any problems.. i brought in bottles of 7up and water to a few of the rugby matches and they don't mind...
    going into the concerts they were taking the tops off peoples bottles but i presume they'll be using the normal turnstiles for the soccer match so you should be fine out..

cool good stuff, cheers for the feedback lads, hopefully it will be a good night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Noffles wrote: »
    So, is there a good reason why you can't have a drink at your seat in either croke or thomond?

dont know the official reason but look at it this way.....

a guy brings a beer to his seat. has another. has another. has another. has another.has another. has another.has another. has another.has another. has another. now he is well jared but falls while he is making his way from his seat down the steps. what do you think is going to happen...........

1 clue he is a dirty irish man and just like alot of us good ol irish or brits or americans we like to make a fast buck so we sue sue sue. that could be the problem. but its just what i always assumed.

i was talking to someone who is high up in the security at thomond park there and she said that any venue ie thomond park, needs to host a certain amount of games etc in order to be able to allow drink outside, the elton john concert was the first venue hosted that was allowed, so i suspect that you'll be able to drink in your seats for the matches coming up and next season (drink that they provide you, not your own!:D)

makes sence too, you wont have thousands of people trying to finish off their drinks before the match starts and have massive queues and empty seats as a result

for the rest of the stadiums around britain and ireland, i prasume its up to the people who own the stadiums to allow..soccer fans tend to be more violent than rugby so that could be the reason

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    i was talking to someone who is high up in the security at thomond park there and she said that any venue ie thomond park, needs to host a certain amount of games etc in order to be able to allow drink outside, the elton john concert was the first venue hosted that was allowed, so i suspect that you'll be able to drink in your seats for the matches coming up and next season (drink that they provide you, not your own!:D)

makes sence too, you wont have thousands of people trying to finish off their drinks before the match starts and have massive queues and empty seats as a result

for the rest of the stadiums around britain and ireland, i prasume its up to the people who own the stadiums to allow..soccer fans tend to be more violent than rugby so that could be the reason

Well in Croker you cannot drink at your seat and that applys for both GAA and rugby games.

When i went to St James Park in Newcastle your not allowed drink in your seats, ill never forget downing 2 pints of Newcastle Brown Ale at half time, good times :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭4tothefloor

Harpy wrote: »
    yeah i say you be grand with that.if its in a bottle of coke they're not gonna know.
    There'll more than likely be FAI stewards at it and they'll take the top off the bottle. So make sure you bring a spare cap ;)
    i know they are allowing people bring their drinks (from the bar to their position in the stadium) which was allowed from the elton john concert onwards but im wondering if id get away with bringing in a normal sized bottol of coke with vodka in it? i plan on heading out afterwards!
    There is never any alcohol sold inside the stadium bars at soccer internationals. I've never seen it at Lansdowne or Croke Park, or on any of the away trips. I'd be surprised if it's allowed at Thomond.
    ..soccer fans tend to be more violent than rugby so that could be the reason
    :p :rolleyes:
    Paulegend wrote: »
    dont know the official reason but look at it this way.....

a guy brings a beer to his seat. has another. has another. has another. has another.has another. has another.has another. has another.has another. has another. now he is well jared but falls while he is making his way from his seat down the steps. what do you think is going to happen...........
    It's for crowd control purposes and nothing else. It also means a more efficient and cost effective stadium clean up afterwards. Lads who are jarred tend to get in to fights and arguements for no reason and this is all the more possible at sporting events. Your example would never happen as bars are never kept open during the games anyway, only before and at half time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

There'll more than likely be FAI stewards at it and they'll take the top off the bottle. So make sure you bring a spare cap ;)

What do they want with all the little plastic bottle caps - them and their €55 Stand tickets - Feckin Eejits :P

Was at a Concert before and a Security type person took a 500ml bottle of Coke [and vodka] off a girl with us, sniffed it and then poured it out slowly and lovingly all over the grass with an orgasmic smile on his face.

- I think horrific, slow, agonising deaths were created specifically for Cnuts like him............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Raiser wrote: »
    What do they want with all the little plastic bottle caps - them and their €55 Stand tickets - Feckin Eejits :P

Was at a Concert before and a Security type person took a 500ml bottle of Coke [and vodka] off a girl with us, sniffed it and then poured it out slowly and lovingly all over the glass with an orgasmic smile on his face.

- I think horrific, slow, agonising deaths were created specifically for Cnuts like him............

What glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    What glass?

No - PET (polyethylene terephthalate), this is plastic recycling type number 1 ;)

Edited out my typo - It was indeed grass!!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I fail to see how anybody thinks it's okay to fantasize about security personnel dying but is in favour of spirit-drinking in public places. Why can't people just enjoy these occasions without getting drunk?

Also,
    Raiser wrote:
    poured it out slowly and lovingly all over the glass with an orgasmic smile on his face
    Itsdacraic wrote:
    What glass?

Let's just assume you meant to type "grass"...

Advertisement