Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Greatest" is coming back home....

Options
  • 06-08-2009 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭

Boxing legend Muhammad Ali To Visit Ancestral Irish Home
    Co. Clare, Ireland — 06 Aug. 2009 — Legendary boxer Muhammad Ali has been invited by Ennis Town Council to visit his ancestral Irish home.
    The former world heavyweight champion, now 67, is expected to visit the Clare County capital during a trip to Ireland later this month. Ali will walk in the steps of his great grandfather Abe Grady, who emigrated from his home on the Turnpike Road in Ennis to the United States in the 1860s.

Grady sailed from Cappa Harbour in Kilrush, eventually settling in Kentucky, where he married an African-American woman. Their son also married an African-American and one of the daughters of that union was Ali’s mother, named Odessa Lee Grady. She married Cassius Clay, senior, and they settled in Louisville, where their son was initially given his father’s name on his birth in 1942. He later changed his name to Muhammad Ali when he converted to the Nation of Islam after winning the world title in 1964.

Mayor of Ennis Frankie Neylon said that details of Ali’s visit would be finalised this weekend when Council officials met with the former boxer’s representatives. The Mayor confirmed that Ali, who is fighting Parkinson’s disease, had expressed his desire to travel to Ennis.

Mayor Neylon stated: “The people of Ennis and County Clare will welcome Mohammad Ali with open arms. His visit will serve as a huge boost to the local economy including its bars and hotels, which have experienced a huge downturn in business over the last year. Furthermore, Clare’s international profile will be raised by the extensive media coverage arising from this event.”

Mayor of Clare Tony Mulcahy said a visit by such a high profile personality would help lift spirits throughout the entire region.

He commented: “Since he retired from boxing Ali has stayed in the limelight by promoting worthy causes such as the Special Olympics and the Alltech Ali Charitable Foundation. Even thirty years after he retired from professional boxing he manages to attract widespread attention and great excitement wherever he goes. Last time I saw him publicly was at the Special Olympics opening ceremony in Croke Park where his attendance caused quite a stir and greatly added to what was one of the largest events this country has ever hosted. The people of Clare look forward to formally recognising his work with the less well-off along with his direct ancestral links with the Banner County.”

http://www.irishpressreleases.ie/2009/08/06/boxing-legend-muhammad-ali-to-visit-ancestral-irish-home/

Ali...Boombaye....Ali...Boombaye :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Roy lives in Ipswich, but hes back every so often...nothing to get excited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Hazys wrote: »
    Roy lives in Ipswich, but hes back every so often....
    :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I could take him

phasers wrote: »
    I could take him

Same here, sure last week i beat up a pensioner with parkinson's, why not go for 2 in 2 weeks?

betafrog wrote: »
    I could never understand this whole "coming home" crap... The guys great granddad was Irish so suddenly Ireland is his home. Your great great great great great great etc granddad was African but I don't see you calling there home..

He doesn't even look Irish for god's sake...

I pretty sure Muhamed Ali is more than likely to call africa or USA home more than Ireland.

"He doesn't even look Irish for god's sake..." :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

betafrog wrote: »
    The guys great granddad was Irish so suddenly Ireland is his home.

Dont take it so seriously. I think that is the spin the local Clare paper are putting on it rather than Ali's own feelings one the issue. I doubt he is going to apply for a maroon passport anytime soon.

Advertisement