Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail Query

Options
  • 06-08-2009 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭

I've got a query which I'm hoping someone here can help me with was looking for an email address on the irish rail website and couldn't find a suitable one... (Disclaimer i could just be blind)

I have a ticket to go from Galway to Kilkenny

However I can only leave galway this evening on the 6pm train this gets me into Dublin at 9pm tonight however the last train from Dublin to Kilkenny was 625. Can I now get the train to kilkenny tomorrow morning or will Irish rail accept my ticket?

I did this before after asking a cashier in Galway before buying the ticket and she said I could but when I got to dublin the next morning guy told me ticket was already used and only after a fair bit of explaining he told me to go ahead. However I got the strong impression he didnt believe me and just didnt want the hassle. So I'm wondering A - can i do this? and B - how am i meant to prove my ticket is still valid? as the guy in Galway always stamps the ticket with todays date but I can't get a kilkenny train until tomorrow.

Also say for example i dont want to get the first train down to kilkenny and want a lie in tomorrow can I just get e.g. 1 o clock train from dublin to kilkenny? Ideally this is what id like to do but i fear if i did this the person is more likely to think im lying.

thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

what you need is proof of the train you left Galway on....surely its reasonable to continue your journey the next day if you got the fiorst available train, Notwithstanding that> i think you may well be entitled to break your journey anyway but I wouldnt be sure of that.

I guess all this changes if it is a day return you bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

corktina wrote: »
    what you need is proof of the train you left Galway on....surely its reasonable to continue your journey the next day if you got the fiorst available train, Notwithstanding that> i think you may well be entitled to break your journey anyway but I wouldnt be sure of that.

I guess all this changes if it is a day return you bought.

well I bought a monthly return on Monday in Kilkenny and travelled down to galway that day so I won't have proof of date/time of the galway train I got from galway to dublin except for the stamp on the ticket with todays date which I know from before they'll claim is just proof the ticket is already used.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

As long as it was a monthly return (as opposed to a day return), then you're ok:

http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_info/ticketing.php#break_of_journey

/csd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

If I do a search on the irish rail website for journeys from Galway to Kilkenny tomorrow (though oddly not today), the last one shown is:

Galway - Kilkenny 07/08 18:05 09:24
    Galway 18:05 - Kildare 20:11
    Kildare 08:11 - Kilkenny 09:24

So their own journey planner is showing you can break the journey. I'd just print that off and bring it with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

just in case anyone is interested I got a reply back from Irish Rail
    This query is covered under Section 8 (Break of Journey) of the Iarnród Éireann ‘Conditions of Carriage of Passengers and their Luggage’ as under which can be found in the FAQ of www.irishrail.ie under Company Information:
    8.2. Except as may be specified in the publications and notices of and applicable to Iarnród Éireann, the holder of a return ticket may break his or her journey at intermediate stations on any route for which the ticket is valid, provided the journey is completed within the same calendar day, except where the timetable does not permit, in which latter case the journey must be completed on the next available service.
    So in answer to your questions:
    A) As your train from Galway doesn’t arrive into Heuston until 20.57 hrs and the timetable does not offer a service to Kilkenny after 18.25 hrs you can stay overnight in Dublin.
    B) Your ticket is valid for travel the following day but you must travel on the next available service to Kilkenny which is at 07.30 hrs tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Print that e-mail out and bring it with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i wonder if you'll get away with getting a later train than the 7.30? Probably;)

Advertisement