Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Fapping'

Options
  • 06-08-2009 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭

I've been seeing this term crop up more and more all over Boards. Since when did Irish people start using it? I don't hear it used in colloquial conversation so I'm guessing a lot of users here are spending too much time on American imageboards and not enough time out and about.

You don't call taps 'faucets.'
    You don't call paths 'sidewalks.'
    You don't call aluminium 'aluminum.'
    So don't call **** 'fapping,' you ****.

(I realise that there are Americans who post here. They may continue using their version of English if desired.')

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

*faps*

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

*fapping* is a nondescript term used by internet folk

Technically you can't **** and type at the same time so fapping is more like the desire one has to be **** while talking to people online

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Technically you can't **** and type at the same time

incorrrevct

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Technically you can't **** and type at the same time so fapping is more like the desire one has to be **** while talking to people online

i learned to type left handed, only prob is lack of capitals because i don' really wanna keep on tappin caps, while i'm fapping ;]

- drav1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

You men are so silly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

It is derived from the sound one makes whilst going at one's self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Technically you can't **** and type at the same time

Well why is the dump full of sticky keyboards then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I always thought the two words were synonymous?
    GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    It is derived from the sound one makes whilst going at one's self.
    I'm aware of its etymology - it's the Americanization of our adopted language I'm against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I'm aware of its etymology - it's the Americanization of our adopted language I'm against.

Do americans sound different when they ****?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭DeCoR18

Seems more like internet lingo. Worst one making it into everyday conversation is epic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Jumpy wrote: »
    incorrrevct

Although it does lead to the occasional typo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

it's the Americanization of our adopted language I'm against.

Americanisation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Do americans sound different when they ****?

Bearing in mind the higher percentage or circumcized males in America, Yes, there is a legitimate reason to suggest that Americans sound different while ****. :pac:

kaimera wrote: »
    It was intentional, but thanks for picking up on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Aluminum is technically correct.

/boring fact

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Internet speak, I've never heard someone actually say fap.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i have plenty of times. these kids come in and play counter strike and shout FAP FAP FAP! instead of HEADSHOT!

Aluminum is technically correct.

/boring fact
    Was technically correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium#Etymology

The world has since moved on but as always the Americans have decided to keep things their way, using cups to measure volume and body parts to measure distance.
    i have plenty of times. these kids come in and play counter strike and shout FAP FAP FAP! instead of HEADSHOT!
    I mean in everyday Irish conversation. You wouldn't call Gerry Ryan a ****ing fapper, would you?

EDIT: I'm probably coming across as very anti-American. I actually like them, I just hate the way their culture is insidiously erasing our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

If ye like talking like them so much - why don't ye all just fap off and live there?

Leave me, pace, and the other 83 people (dwindling by the day mind you) who actually know who we are, and are comfortable with it, in fapping peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

It dates from the excellent webcomic, Sexy Losers,here(NSFW) is what is apparently recognized as the first use on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Was technically correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium#Etymology

The world has since moved on but as always the Americans have decided to keep things their way, using cups to measure volume and body parts to measure distance.

If you bother your banjo to isolate and name a new element, its basic fcuking common courtesy to respect that name given.

The brits can go shyte.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I mean in everyday Irish conversation. You wouldn't call Gerry Ryan a ****ing fapper, would you?

Thats a negatory. The word 'fap' sounds ridiculous as it is, it doesnt really sound like 'fap' at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I always thought the two words were synonymous?

kaimera wrote: »

Owned.

Wreck wrote: »
    Owned.
    Oh c'mon, don't assume that everyone on the internet is incapable of appreciating irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Napoli

karlr42 wrote: »
    It dates from the excellent webcomic, Sexy Losers,here(NSFW) is what is apparently recognized as the first use on the internet.

Roflcopter

moar NAO!!1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

it's the Americanization of our adopted language I'm against.

Nice.

[edit] Damn it...beaten to it by other pedants.

Napoli wrote: »
    Roflcopter

moar NAO!!1
    too much time on American imageboards

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

karlr42 wrote: »
    No need to be like that, the Austrailians are nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

It's internet lingo, the internet is not America... it's also not a big truck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

The use of the word "chav" is worse imo

Advertisement