Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening A Boarding Kennels

Options
  • 06-08-2009 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey all, I am thinking of opening a boarding kennels soon here at home. I have the land and know the plans, I have done a 2 yr animal Management course and have done classes in Kennel Management and also work at a kennels part time. However, I would like know what are your views on Boarding kennels, and what kind of services & facilities would you be looking for when choosing a boarding kennels for your dog/dogs? Thanks for taking the time to read this:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

I'd be looking for peace of mind that my dog will be as well cared for as if he were at home. Also that he was getting run around tiem every day on top of a walk.

I've seen some kennels making an enclosed area in a field where the dogs can just run about off leash (obviously supervised!) but it's a good idea especially for puppies who can't get walked too much ;)

I'd also want to know should anything happen that there would be access to a 24 hour veternarian.

Good luck with your venture!

P.S> another thing that seems to be a good idea is webcams so the owners can log in and see how their pets are doing whislt away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

yup, web cam is a good idea or daily emails or texts.

try to make it a home away from home, even something like a big shed kitted out with couches for them to lounge around.

I think the main problem people have is the thought of their dog enclosed for the majority of the day, as, for most dogs, this is the complete opposite of what their used to. if you can make it as open plan as possible, people will pay more.

best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Best of luck with it, but be warned, every kennel I know is finding business slow this year, even now in August. I know it will take a while to get it built and up and running, but people tend to cut back on the 'luxuries' first when times are tough, like holidays etc. I think also that people are getting family or friends to look after the dogs while they're away, rather than the extra cost of kennels.

Webcams are a great idea, but need to be thought about very carefully. The security needs to be very good, so that dog thiefs can't see what pedigree dogs you have on your premises at any time.

I know that when I used to put my lot in kennels I was looking more for interaction with the dogs and exercise, rather than the poshest looking building. The kennel I have used locally is just big sheds with pens in, but the dogs get loads of off lead exercise and loved going to stay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

ISDW wrote: »
    Best of luck with it, but be warned, every kennel I know is finding business slow this year, even now in August. I know it will take a while to get it built and up and running, but people tend to cut back on the 'luxuries' first when times are tough, like holidays etc. I think also that people are getting family or friends to look after the dogs while they're away, rather than the extra cost of kennels.

Webcams are a great idea, but need to be thought about very carefully. The security needs to be very good, so that dog thiefs can't see what pedigree dogs you have on your premises at any time.

I know that when I used to put my lot in kennels I was looking more for interaction with the dogs and exercise, rather than the poshest looking building. The kennel I have used locally is just big sheds with pens in, but the dogs get loads of off lead exercise and loved going to stay there.
    I agree about the web cameras cos i'd have my gang driving me nuts go log on and check ever 5 mins so no break there for me.
    What i look for of course is cleanliness and comfort,,clean bedding regularly changed and plenty of attention, Where my girl goes she is walked everyday and also let out in the long wired in runs in the field a couple of times a day( where she loves to run up and down with whom ever is next to her). And what i love is the personal touches ie when i collect her im told all about her and whats shes been up to, i know she has had some love while we've been away. best of luck when you go ahead with this,,,,where will you be based????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 AnimalCrazy09

Thanks to you all for your suggestions and advice, I appreciate it:) as for the enclosed area, I hope to have an enclosed grass area for the dogs to be let out one by one into. Thanks for the suggestion about the webcams, I saw that idea recently on an american boarding kennel website, it seems like a good idea, but I'll have to reserach it more. Security I know is a big thing, where I live there is 30arces of land, we keep horses as well so theres locks on all gates. I hope to install CCTV on the kennel site and there will be an automatic gate in and out of the kennels. The kennels will also be well fenced in. exercise is very important for dogs, so every dog will be walked daily either in fields,quite country road or the woods nearby. I also would like to set up a play area with toys and a pool etc. I hope to create a home away from home for dogs, their well being is very important, their is a vet nearby who is available 24hrs. The dogs comfort is also a must, I was thinking of using vet beds, inside the plastic beds? and also have infa red lamps for heat, that way if an individual kennel needs heat for whatever reason it would be possible. and air con in the summer. Also I was told recently about having a tv in a kennels for the dogs. I've heard of having a radio but not a tv before. To Joyce, thanks for your advice/suggestions:) I live near Rathcormac in Co.Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Most dogs probably wouldn't need a tv some people like to leave a radio on for their dogs though. There are loads of ways to design a kennel area but whatever way you choose stick to small scale first. Just enough kennels for a few dogs and see how you go from there. If things do well then add more as time goes on. Fencing etc. is very expensive.

cctv is a good idea there's a ton of things you could do but it all depends on your budget etc.

Aside from the kennel space having a room in the house or an outhouse with a sink area for washing bowls, storing feed etc. is very handy. Or a utilty room just as handy.

A big long washing line for hanging out vet bed/blankets and it also helps to hang them out to blow the hairs off them before you wash them. A seperate washing machine and dryer if possible so your own clothes don't end up covered in hairs (although that will happen anyway lol).

Easy access to water, outside taps, hose, buckets,mops etc.

One kennel I've been to has the kennels in a circle with individual runs (concrete is cleanest) and then an open grassy area so basically you can let an individual dog out and clean the kennel and they can run around the grass while you're cleaning etc. All was within another set of fencing.

It's best if the dogs have a solid wall between them rather than chainlink or see through fencing because ok some dogs might like to look at each other but a lot will just drive each other nuts.

An area in the home perhaps a dog room for toy breeds and elderly dogs that are more delicate.

There's so much you could do really. Just keep it low scale, with all the land if things go well then sure you can always extend some more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

For exercise could a kennel use those things that go round and round in a circle and you tie an animal to , like a horse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 AnimalCrazy09

Most dogs probably wouldn't need a tv some people like to leave a radio on for their dogs though. There are loads of ways to design a kennel area but whatever way you choose stick to small scale first. Just enough kennels for a few dogs and see how you go from there. If things do well then add more as time goes on. Fencing etc. is very expensive.

cctv is a good idea there's a ton of things you could do but it all depends on your budget etc.

Aside from the kennel space having a room in the house or an outhouse with a sink area for washing bowls, storing feed etc. is very handy. Or a utilty room just as handy.

A big long washing line for hanging out vet bed/blankets and it also helps to hang them out to blow the hairs off them before you wash them. A seperate washing machine and dryer if possible so your own clothes don't end up covered in hairs (although that will happen anyway lol).

Easy access to water, outside taps, hose, buckets,mops etc.

One kennel I've been to has the kennels in a circle with individual runs (concrete is cleanest) and then an open grassy area so basically you can let an individual dog out and clean the kennel and they can run around the grass while you're cleaning etc. All was within another set of fencing.

It's best if the dogs have a solid wall between them rather than chainlink or see through fencing because ok some dogs might like to look at each other but a lot will just drive each other nuts.

An area in the home perhaps a dog room for toy breeds and elderly dogs that are more delicate.

There's so much you could do really. Just keep it low scale, with all the land if things go well then sure you can always extend some more.

Thanks for your advice/suggestions Guineapigrescue. I'm still not sure about the TV, as I think maybe it could come across as being a bit extreme. But I'll definatly have a radio, cos I know with my own dogs, it helps them relax and keeps them company when no one is around. I agree about keeping it small scale and thats what I plan to do:) A washing line, I 4got all about a washing line lol. Yeah, a solid wal between the dogs is good cos it reduces noise level as well.

Advertisement