Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More advice!

Options
  • 06-08-2009 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Have spotted an Avensis that I really like. It's an '05, but the original engine had siezed and has been replaced with an '08 one, with only 15k on the clock.
    Now, I'm not sure yet, but I think the previous engine had pretty high mileage and had probably been driven into the ground.

Question is, should I be delighted at finding an 05 with such a virgin engine, or after a month or two is it going to be like a bugs bunny cartoon, where everything falls off the car, 'except the engine which happily zips off over the horizon!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

The Avensis is ten to a penny. If your unsure, walk away, there are plenty to choose from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

The Avensis is ten to a penny. If your unsure, walk away, there are plenty to choose from.

+1

An engine isn't the only thing to look out for when buying a car. By the sounds of it the car had a rough life. I'd avoid it like the plague. Plus, the new engine might have 15k but it could just as easily have 50k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭artic

the corpo wrote: »
    Have spotted an Avensis that I really like. It's an '05, but the original engine had siezed and has been replaced with an '08 one, with only 15k on the clock.
    Now, I'm not sure yet, but I think the previous engine had pretty high mileage and had probably been driven into the ground.

Question is, should I be delighted at finding an 05 with such a virgin engine, or after a month or two is it going to be like a bugs bunny cartoon, where everything falls off the car, 'except the engine which happily zips off over the horizon!

I would walk away, you dont know if the mileage can be verified on the new engine. secondly was the engine transplant done correctly? could there be wiring issues down the road ? Thirdly if the previous owner could not be bothered to put oil in the engine,what has he neglected on the rest of the car ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

sounds like sage advice folks, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep, given the amount of them out there you don't need to settle for one with so many questions hanging over it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement