Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Tutorial: How to move to your personal domain to google apps mx records

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 theh

No comments... ? Was it that bad or did anyone find it atleast a bit useful ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

theh wrote: »
    No comments... ? Was it that bad or did anyone find it atleast a bit useful ?

you didnt explain what google apps mx records is?

not useful at all, no affence

Tim M-U wrote: »
    you didnt explain what google apps mx records is?

not useful at all, no affence

Oooh sorry,the video was aimed for users that host their own websites and have to deal with outgoing emails etc etc.

Here a little run down for you :

An MX record or Mail Exchanger record is a type of resource record in the Domain Name System (DNS) specifying how Internet e-mail should be routed using the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP). Each MX record contains a preference and a host name, so that the collection of MX records for a given domain name point to the servers that should receive e-mail for that domain, and their priority relative to each other.

So lets say you have a website for example http://www.kilfenoraclare.com/
    and you want to sent e-mails out on behave of your domain lets say ken@kilfenoraclare.com or info@kilfenoraclare.com. Then the process of e-mailing uses "MX records" for delivering your e-mails.

Your mx records are

30 mx.kilfenoraclare.com 65.254.254.50 3600

Now if your 65.254.254.50 is a shared server and other users with different domains would spam so let say mx.evilspammer.com also points to 65.254.254.50 that would mean that you would be screwed and black listed...

even though you never did anything at all then the above video would come in handy for you to resolve that problem ! :)

Or if you want to use google apps for your email instead of your default mail tools you got with ur server.

Like i said this video was more for people that do understand a bit more of the back bone of the internet...

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I think people who "understand the back bone of the Internet" are probably competent enough to follow the fairly basic instructions on changing MX records all by themselves, so in that respect I think you're probably preaching to the converted!

The audio quality is also pretty ropey, and you mumble quite a bit.

Leaving that aside, the major conceptual problem here, I think, is that you're picking a task and then justifying the reason for doing it throughout the video. It requires that the viewer already understand that they want to "change their MX records", but actually assumes that they have no idea why they're doing so!

If I'm watching a tutorial about how to change MX records, I don't need a three minute explanation of why I'm doing it. I probably already know why.
    If my mail is being blacklisted, I'm going to be looking into why it's being blacklisted, I'm not going to have a fig's notion that changing my MX records in order to move the mail to Google Apps is the solution before researching. You follow?

I'd probably start with a separate video about the problem. The problem being, of course, that the viewer may be suffering from their perfectly legitimate mail being blacklisted for some reason. I would then go on to list the symptoms of this problem, and then begin to identify potential solutions. This would be done very concisely, ideally lasting no more than a minute. I would then propose which solution I think is "best" or just the one I plan to tackle. This is the reasoning or the "why" behind the next video.

The next video would be a straight forward tutorial explaining what to do (rather than why) in order to reach the solution, step by step, assuming the viewer is watching the video because they have concluded that they need to move their mail to Google Apps.

You could make it all one video, but I think you'd have a broader audience by separating the "why" from the "how".

CuLT wrote: »
    I think people who "understand the back bone of the Internet" are probably competent enough to follow the fairly basic instructions on changing MX records all by themselves, so in that respect I think you're probably preaching to the converted!

The audio quality is also pretty ropey, and you mumble quite a bit.

Leaving that aside, the major conceptual problem here, I think, is that you're picking a task and then justifying the reason for doing it throughout the video. It requires that the viewer already understand that they want to "change their MX records", but actually assumes that they have no idea why they're doing so!

If I'm watching a tutorial about how to change MX records, I don't need a three minute explanation of why I'm doing it. I probably already know why.
    If my mail is being blacklisted, I'm going to be looking into why it's being blacklisted, I'm not going to have a fig's notion that changing my MX records in order to move the mail to Google Apps is the solution before researching. You follow?

I'd probably start with a separate video about the problem. The problem being, of course, that the viewer may be suffering from their perfectly legitimate mail being blacklisted for some reason. I would then go on to list the symptoms of this problem, and then begin to identify potential solutions. This would be done very concisely, ideally lasting no more than a minute. I would then propose which solution I think is "best" or just the one I plan to tackle. This is the reasoning or the "why" behind the next video.

The next video would be a straight forward tutorial explaining what to do (rather than why) in order to reach the solution, step by step, assuming the viewer is watching the video because they have concluded that they need to move their mail to Google Apps.

You could make it all one video, but I think you'd have a broader audience by separating the "why" from the "how".

True you might be right , although most people i spoke to about the option of using google as your mail delivery service didnt even know it was possible in the first place.

But thanks for the constructive advice anyways,ill keep it in mind in the next vids

• Advertisement
Advertisement