Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Onions and when to pull them

Options
  • 06-08-2009 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Hi, Just wondering if there is a normal time to pull onions?
    During July with all the rain the stems were bent over and bulbs have started to swell, (about the size of a tennis ball) but not as bug as last year. Some of the leaves are starting to turn colour and I had to pull a few as they had started to rott, due to all the rain we had.

Should i leave the rest in the ground for a bit, mid August or so and then pull them or what is the normal time to pull?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

when you think they are big enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

i picked my onions last week, (and my garlic) now hanging in the garage,

lovely smell when you open the door now, Keeps away the Vampires . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

I also grew some onions this year. Do I have to hang them or is it just your garlic?

If I have to hang them I take it that the bulb is lowest down?

Sorry for dumb questions - just starting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

dfbemt wrote: »
    I also grew some onions this year. Do I have to hang them or is it just your garlic?

Once they are pulled you should leave them out in the sun (if we get any) to dry/rippen. I often use the garden bench for this and have a sheet of plastic ready so i can cover them quick if the rain comes,

after a 7 to 14 days you are ready to hand them, I think this is the best method as it allows air to circulate around them and so help to avoid rot.

I would pull the excess leaves off leaving a stem of about 4 inches, then bend this over and tie it with string and then tie this onto you long rope that you will hand up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

dfbemt wrote: »

both.

i have the windows open so they have dried out fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Thanks for the help and sorry to hijack the OP on this.

Pics are great, speak a thousand words as they say.

Put some more in ground today that I had grown from seed a few weeks back. Hope to have them up before winter sets in.

Have grown strawberries and tomatoes for the past few summers. This year I moved onto the onions, beans and rhubarb.

Great for the kids to see everything growing plus it gives a sense of achievement to eat something you have grown.

Planning for next year already......... :cool:

Advertisement