Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blueface and IBOOD Phone on offer today

Options
  • 06-08-2009 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Currently have a DECT phone plugged into WRT54GP2 (UPC ISP), and its working fine. The phone needs replacement though as the screen is gone.
    I noticed iboods offer today:
    http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/product_specs/12700/
    Its a Topcom Wireless DECT telephone with USB and VoIP functionality. Looks like you can plug it into your normal phone line (or in my case the router), or alternatively plug it into PC for Skype, etc.
    Sound good? Or should I be looking at something else?
    What hardware setup do other blueface users have?
    Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I use fring on my mobile normally for Skype.
    I bought 2 of these though spec looks good,it never dawned on me that I wouldneed to lug it in to the pc for Skype though.
    I am too used to wireless!!
    We need osme phones anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I had a read at that link above but it is not very clear how this thing works.

Because it is useable with Skype and apparently SIP, it seems that it needs to be tethered to a PC to make VOIP/Skype calls while the standard POTS line is useable at all times.

Am I understanding how this works correctly?

If so it is not what I am looking for unfortunately.

I am in the market for a phone that will register to Skype and simultaneously to one or more VOIP provider and work wirelessly --- absolutely no wires attached to PC or other device. It would be nice also if it could use the POTS line at the same time.
    I would have no real objection if the base station was tethered to the router as well as the tel line, but not to a PC.

Does such a beast exist?

Any info appreciated.

In the meantime I guess I could use this phone plugged into the VOIP socket of my router instead of the landline .... it is cheap enough, but means having multiple phones ... :(

regards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭malachy47

I had a read at that link above but it is not very clear how this thing works.

Because it is useable with Skype and apparently SIP, it seems that it needs to be tethered to a PC to make VOIP/Skype calls while the standard POTS line is useable at all times.

Am I understanding how this works correctly?

regards.

Your understanding is correct, to use this as a VOIP device it needs to be tethered to the PC/Laptop via a USB cable. The PC must of course be switched on and connected to the internet.

Then the USB driver for the device has an MSN mode, a Skype mode, a SIP mode etc. In effect it functions as a headset for the PC, with a USB driver that is aware of the popular VOIP/IM/Chat software.

So it's not a "real" ATA in the sense that it needs the PC to work and is not standalone for VOIP. It is standalone for regular PSTN though.

Garlad, since you already have an ATA in your WRT54GP2, it can use the RJ11 PSTN for your Blueface (or SIP to be more precise), but if you wish to use the MSN/SKYPE (or SIP via PC) features you'll need the USB connected to your PC, so it could indeed work out nicely for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Thanks all for info.
    Looked like I had to connect the base unit to the laptop via usb, rather than the phone itself, which put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

garlad wrote: »
    Thanks all for info.
    Looked like I had to connect the base unit to the laptop via usb, rather than the phone itself, which put me off.

That would be a plus from my point of view - although not ideal - as it would allow the phone to be wireless full time.

I will continue to seek my ideal ....

regards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement