Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel leak! Dodgy mechanic?

Options
  • 06-08-2009 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I recently had some work done on my 01 passat tdi following a failed nct.
    In the last day or two i could smell deisel around my car and sure enough this morning theres a puddle of fuel on ground below the engine.Popped the bonnet and straight away i noticed the engine cover looked a little worse for wear in fact it was sitting loosely on top of the engine held down wit a couple of cable ties.
    What had happened was the underside of the engine cover was rubbing against a fuel line joint (pls see picture) and had worn half way through it.Everything under the bonnet has been soaked with deisel.
    What i want to know is was there any reason for this mechanic to touch the engine cover to fix the following nct fails.
    • Front track rod ends
    • Front ball joints
    • Front ball cv boot
    • Tracking
    Ive had the car since september 08 the nct fail was mid june this year and the work was carried out end june.

I know that the damage has been caused by this guy because im regularly under the bonnet and would have noticed the damaged sooner.Im going to see him tmrw, but he could deny and say he didnt need to go near the cover.
    Anyway sorry for the spiel, have a look at the pics and any advice or general comments appreciated.Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

DEVEREUX wrote: »
    Hello,

I recently had some work done on my 01 passat tdi following a failed nct.
    In the last day or two i could smell deisel around my car and sure enough this morning theres a puddle of fuel on ground below the engine.Popped the bonnet and straight away i noticed the engine cover looked a little worse for wear in fact it was sitting loosely on top of the engine held down wit a couple of cable ties.
    What had happened was the underside of the engine cover was rubbing against a fuel line joint (pls see picture) and had worn half way through it.Everything under the bonnet has been soaked with deisel.
    What i want to know is was there any reason for this mechanic to touch the engine cover to fix the following nct fails.
    • Front track rod ends
    • Front ball joints
    • Front ball cv boot
    • Tracking
    Ive had the car since september 08 the nct fail was mid june this year and the work was carried out end june.

I know that the damage has been caused by this guy because im regularly under the bonnet and would have noticed the damaged sooner.Im going to see him tmrw, but he could deny and say he didnt need to go near the cover.
    Anyway sorry for the spiel, have a look at the pics and any advice or general comments appreciated.Cheers

No. Idon't think the damage was caused by this mechanic,infact to do the jobs you required the tech didn't have to open the bonnet at all!!!
    Also if you look closly at the picture of the snapped bolt you can see it is quite rusty,this means it has been snapped for quite some time.If the bolt was a fresh break then it would be shiney.My guess is that this has been like this for some time and has only worn thru now,that is the fuel filter thats worn thru,so a new filter will solve that and if you can't fix the cover(i.e remove the broken studs,get new bolts,and plastic cover)
    then i would get a piece of rubber and glue it to the under side of the cover so that when you refit it it can't tighten down as far as the filter again.....hope this helps.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭anon11

I agree:)

Advertisement