Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Pictures ???

Options
  • 06-08-2009 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

I was out taking a few pics of the moon this morning and I got two very odd looking pictures. My dog was barking and growling when they were taken, I didn't see what is in the pics with the naked eye at the time they were taken :confused:

My moon picture

dscf1284.jpg

and then I got these two :confused::confused:

dscf1344.jpg

dscf1343.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Thats a nice picture of the moon.
    The camera or yourself wasnt moving when you took the two latter pictures by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    Thats a nice picture of the moon.
    The camera or yourself wasnt moving when you took the two latter pictures by any chance?
    No to both, camera was on a tripod and pictures were taken using the timer, so no contact with the camera. I took a total of 90 pictures over 20 minutes and these were the only two odd ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

Yes, nice Moon.

I presume you have a good digital camera with a tripod(?), that illumination from the other photos must be moving very fast.

I'm running through some usual suspects trying to figure out what it is, Aircraft with some "wobble", a Star, a Planet, supersonic moth, a rod, "special" aircraft like area51-type experimental ones, a firefly (which I have never seen in Ireland)... Its hard to say.

It's unlikely that a camera anomaly would appear in both photos.

What is your estimate on it's distance (or how much zoom is in these detail pictures)? Is the light enhanced?

In the middle picture just above the two stars, there are another two bright objects which are absent from the third picture..

chompy wrote: »
    I presume you have a good digital camera with a tripod(?), that illumination from the other photos must be moving very fast.

What is your estimate on it's distance (or how much zoom is in these detail pictures)? Is the light enhanced?

Distance I couldn't tell you, if I saw it with my own eye then I would have some sort of idea.
    In the middle picture just above the two stars, there are another two bright objects which are absent from the third picture..

Don't know what they are either.

Camera is a Fuji FinePix S5500 Digital - 10 x Optical Zoom (had full zoom on for all pictures) and tripod set me back over €100.

Settings are below:

ffs5500p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

Thank you for posting these Hellboy. 3 Seconds exposure would have the light there for a few seconds with seemingly no arrival or departure of the object. Is there much delay between exposures?

More lights in the sky tonight .. (link)

• Advertisement

Is there much delay between exposures?
    11 seconds between each picture.

First picture taken: 06 ‎August ‎2009, ‏‎01:58:58

Second picture taken: 06 ‎August ‎2009, ‏‎01:59:09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Move aside, super awesome professional photographer coming through!

Are the second two photos heavily cropped versions of #1? Can I see the original uncropped ones?

Why were you taking three second exposures? Thats way too much for the moon. And three seconds of an exposure increases the chance of camera-shake working its way into the shot. Wind can move the camera as can the shutter opening and closing, and that can have a huge effect on distant targets eg. stars, which I think this might be.

The "two stars" are dead pixels. The two little smudges above those dead pixels are.... smudges, internal reflection, artifacts, whatever. They are not UFOs since nobody can tell if they were actually flying or not.

Overblood wrote: »
    Can I see the original uncropped ones?
    PM me your email address and I'll send the original pics to you to look at as they're 1.73MB each.
    Why were you taking three second exposures?
    Honest answer, I don't know, I'm no professional photographer :o. Hope this helps also:

Camera Mode set on: M - 250/F8
    dead pixels.
    Can this happen at any stage during the life of the camera ? last time I used it there were none visible.

Thanks for the help everyone :)

hellboy99 wrote: »

Can this happen at any stage during the life of the camera ? last time I used it there were none visible.

Thanks for the help everyone :)

The last time you used it, did you crop the pictures that much and scrutinize every pixel? Of course you wouldn't notice it. Also, the last time you used it, what were you shooting? If you were shooting a bright environment, the dead pixel would be very hard to notice.

Also, it could be a "hot" pixel. A hot pixel isn't permament. This happens after prolonged use or really long exposures. You took 90 pics in 20 mins. I don't know if that amount of usage would cause a hot pixel.

Or it could be.... an alien mothership entering the Earth's atmospehere hell bent on destroying us. Is that what you really wanted to hear?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Are you sure? Dead pixels are typically permanant and show consistently on all exposures

• Advertisement

Is that what you really wanted to hear?
    Not really, I might have the MIB round to take my camera :P. Just looking to see if I can get an explanation as to what it is :)

Are you sure? Dead pixels are typically permanant and show consistently on all exposures

Am I sure about what? I said a lot of things in my post.

Just looking to see if I can get an explanation as to what it is :)

Why didn't you post your question in the astronomy forum? Or the photography forum?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Why didn't you post your question in the astronomy forum? Or the photography forum?
    Hey, dont badger the poor guy. This forum gives an all round response, with no particular fixed viewpoint. I see a mix of rational responses here, none of which say 'ah yes, that'll be the alien invaders, there'. Except yours. :)

Oryx wrote: »
    Hey, dont badger the poor guy. This forum gives an all round response, with no particular fixed viewpoint. I see a mix of rational responses here, none of which say 'ah yes, that'll be the alien invaders, there'. Except yours. :)

I ain't badgering nobody. If you look at my last post, I asked two questions. That is all. Badgering would be to ask those two questions over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again and then maybe some more.

But yes Oryx I will stop badgering.... I won't mention aliens again. Since he posted the questions in a forum that deals mainly with ghosts, I was inclined to think that he wanted a ghostly/spooky answer.

Since he posted the questions in a forum that deals mainly with ghosts, I was inclined to think that he wanted a ghostly/spooky answer.
    I first posted it in the Astronomy section of the forum.

Reason for myself posting it here was that it's an odd picture and my dog was going nuts at the same time they were taken, so it seemed to me as a good section to post them up on.

Like I say I would just like to get some views on it and an answer as to what it may be, be it logical or not, I'm not hoping for it to be anything in particular, ie. UFO etc..

Fair enough, it just reminded me of the poster who asked the mythology forum why her dog was afraid to enter other people's houses. I was like... eh.... there's an Animal & Pet issues forum you know. Some people just prefer bull$hit answers to rational ones or to no anwers at all.

I just found it odd when my dog went nuts at the same time the pictures were taken.

You get the pics I sent to your email Overblood ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

disappointed to only see 3 pics, change thread name to pics which I taught were strange.

I just found it odd when my dog went nuts at the same time the pictures were taken.

Perhaps a slight vibration shook the camera unbeknownst to you,thus causing the anomaly.
    However your dog,with their heightened senses,may have picked up on it.
    Where you within 10 miles of a road?

Where you within 10 miles of a road?
    Yes.

• Advertisement

I should have eloborated.
    Were you within 10 miles of a road which heavy vehicles frequent?

Don't mind roads. The slightest gusht of wind will do the trick, as will your camera's shutter opening and closing. I'm always out taking pics of the night sky and I have to deal with vibrations a lot.

Look there's something hiding behind these trees, it might be a ghost...

3684834950_83770f5444.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

Don't mind roads. The slightest gusht of wind will do the trick, as will your camera's shutter opening and closing. I'm always out taking pics of the night sky and I have to deal with vibrations a lot.

cracking pic

Droll

Nice pic :cool:
    I should have eloborated.
    Were you within 10 miles of a road which heavy vehicles frequent?
    Yes.

Nice pic :cool:

Yes.

Cool.Case closed.

What were you aiming at when you took the two pictures?

What were you aiming at when you took the two pictures?
    Between the moon (left side) and Jupiter, I was trying to see if I could get a picture of some stars.

Hellboy I got the pics, thanks. Well as you said you were trying to get a pic of some stars, it seems like you got at least one star/planet as well as some camera shake.

Here's a pic from when I was trying to capture the orion nebula (click for a larger version). Notice the stars around it all have the same squiggly form. That's camera shake, and my camera was on a tripod. I was also using a shutter release cable so I didn't actually touch the camera. There was a gentle breeze that night. It was enough to affect the shot.

2982474641_4defe9137f.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement