Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loan Sharks: Do you blame lender or borrower

Options
  • 06-08-2009 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

I read this on the dailymail..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1204496/Woman-paid-loan-shark-88-000-500-debt-seven-years.html

Most people would be shocked and petrified about the issue...but sadly it is a common phenomenon in most countries and unfortunately but ....unsurprisingly it is practised in Ireland.

I have two minds about this one.
    1.I think the loan sharks are evil,unscrupulous beings.I am of the opinion that they should be severely dealt with ..( but tbh there is hardly any difference between them and most banks in Ireland except that they do not get Government..sorry Taxpayers guarantees)

2.I also blame the debtors who eyes wide open decided to borrow money when they are fully aware of the consequences/ inconvenience and the sums of money borrowed are ..(usually money that can be raised or saved by spending less on drinks,chocolates,fags and other stupid purchases).

and what beats me the most... is what most of these people claim to spend the money on...xmas gifts,birthday presents etc which they could easily afford if they live within their means and not try to keep up with the joneses.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Loan sharks have been around as long as the monetary system

The only difference between them and banks are the methods used to ensure the debt is repayed.

imho anyone using them probably knows the risks etc, so I have no sympathy for anyone that gets their knees cracked or gets landed with a 15000% interest rate

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

It's their own faults idiots, they should have gone to the cops alot earlier, and just stopped paying him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

This could be a difficult one because she borrowed the money not for frivolities but for a Computer that she felt could be useful for her household,but it is still quite stupid to patronise money lenders.If she went to school she should have read some shakespear....SHYLOCK :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Blame the blender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

*Waits for inevitable "Blame the Government" post.*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

*Waits for inevitable "Blame the Government" post.*

wheres Biggins when you need him :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

jackncoke wrote: »
    wheres Biggins when you need him :P

Out blowing up terrorists probably

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

I blame the parents

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Taking 90k for a £500 debt?
    They fell into a vicious circle with a scumbag loan shark who was meant to be a friend, I certainly wouldn't lay too much blame on them; he was warning that they didn;t want to be messing with certain people etc etc.
    Of course, it's lovely to objectively say they should have gone to the police.

Sorry but in this case, I blame the lender.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

article wrote:
    By July 2001 they had paid a total of £1,750. When they told him they could not go on making payments he simply offered them a further £2,000 loan.

They were being screwed so they accepted another loan? I call stupidity on the couple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

On the plus side, loan sharks don't lend out so much that I'll be in hock for the rest of my bleeding life bailing them out.

I'll give them that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    They were being screwed so they accepted another loan? I call stupidity on the couple.

Exactly, take out a new loan to pay off the old loan. From the same guy.

I hope they enjoyed the pc though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Theyre called loan SHARKS for a reason. Not loan bunnies. The clue is in the name people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Out blowing up terrorists probably

would that not be terrorism itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 halfthetrack

anyone know of ant reasonable loan sharks in dub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I blame the bankers! :pac:
    Everything is their fault! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Don't give money to poor people, they just get notions and then get on planes with sombreros and make us all embarassed.

Advertisement