Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Teach me how to service my own car

Options
  • 06-08-2009 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭

Im sick of getting ripped off by garages and mechanics. Ive been driving 7 years and i know ive been ripped off on numerous occassions. Im not afraid to do it myself and id love to know how to service my own car. Is there such a thing as a "car service course"?

Im just talkin about the basics here (oil change,brake pads,general wear and tear). Is this an impossible ask?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Get a Haynes Manual and and some basic tools. sorted. :)

The lot would probably pay for its self in the 1st service

http://www.haynes.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

If all you want to save on are the basics, you'd be better off finding yourself an honest local mechanic who's happy for you to supply your own parts and a good motor factors to work with.

A basic oil and filters interval change shouldn't cost more than the parts and about an hours labour, and brakes should be done in an hour or so per axle, or thereabouts...

The other thing is that they'll point out the other things that you might/will miss, things that affect your safety and protect the working lifespan of your car. Unless you plan on getting very well acquainted with your car and spending a lot of time tinkering and buying tools, you'll miss things that are important.

There are plenty of decent mechanics who won't rip you off - I referred other boards.ies to one in the past and I know they've been delighted with his work and what he charged, and I'm sure there are many, many others here who will have solid recommendations too if you let us know where abouts you're based.

The mechanic I recommended would typically charge about €50 for the labour on a basic service, and maybe €100 for the labour for pads, disks and a fluid bleed - Parts in each case I'd arrange to supply myself from a motor factors he's recommended, and they look after me on price there too. I do all my own work, but refer friends and family alike to this fellow.

Those kind of rates are 'peanuts' for a professionally qualified time served pro with 30 years of spannering under his belt, but he's happy to save me the cost of him running around buying parts, and he's still putting €50 an hour through on his books. And I don't get lumped with the mess on my driveway, skinned knuckles on someone elses car, and trying to clean up the mess afterwards. Win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Read up on the type of car you have all the info you need is out there mostly on the internet. Get some basic tools, just get stuck in if its hard to open give it some stick its not going to break if your twisting it the right way, leave yourself a way out the first time, for example service it on a Friday evening rather than Saturday because if you mess up every place is closed Sunday and your getting the bus to work Monday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

O.A.P wrote: »
    Read up on the type of car you have all the info you need is out there mostly on the internet. Get some basic tools, just get stuck in if its hard to open give it some stick its not going to break if your twisting it the right way, leave yourself a way out the first time, for example service it on a Friday evening rather than Saturday because if you mess up every place is closed Sunday and your getting the bus to work Monday morning.

She can take a sicky Monday if the factors don't have the parts in stock. :P

He is a She :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Didnt someone make a thread on this very topic? Its was excellently done, I cant find it on a search though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

FearDark wrote: »
    Its was excellently done

+1,000

Excellent thread!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Gil_Dub wrote: »

Sticky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

yup that should be a sticky 7up bottle funnel I never thought of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Added to 'useful threads' in the charter

Advertisement