Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney in 1 day?

Options
  • 05-08-2009 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

If I get the 7am train from Dublin and be in Killarney at 10:30am - what would ye recommend to do in 1 day with no transport of your own. I can get a train back at around 6 or 8pm.
    I'm on a week's holidays next week and hoping to go to Belfast to see the Tall Ships and maybe somewhere else during the week, so the 1 day trip would suit me.
    thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Firstly, Pop into the Friary (near station) and have a look at the stained glass windows. I think they are by harry clarke. then have a wander around the town and pop into the Killarney art gallery - its a private gallery but they have some nice stuff. If its a fine day hire a bike and either go for a cycle around the Demense/ross Castle* or go out to Muckross Abbey and House. If you arent into cycling go for a walk and perhaps consider going on a boat ride to Inishfallen Island or around the lakes. Come back into town have lunch/dinner and then head away at your leisure.

*be careful if you are female as there is some flasher hanging around the demese at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I would seriously recommend that you rent a bike for the day. There are loads of places doing it in Killarney. If you want to get around a bit of the lakes, Muckross etc then some wheels are necessary for the few hours your in Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭coleen

You could go out to mucross house and gardens and they have a farm in olden style and also you could go to ross castle and they have a water bus that goes out on the lake for 1 hour so you could contact the tourist office for details of these also great bargains to be had for overnight accomadition. I saw a b & b in the town advertising for 20 euro per night it was on Lewis road. I do not know the name of it . I think you would do best to hire a bike if the day was ok. It is 15 euro to hire a bike and then you could do mucross and the waterbus in ross castle or a boat to innisfallon island and walk around the ruins of the monastery there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Yes,muckross and ross castle is all very nice if you havnt been there before.
    http://www.muckross-house.ie/
    [URL="javascript:void(0);"]184-MuckrossHouse03.jpg?t=1249579964[/URL]

11B-790x600.jpg

17B-800.jpg

And ross castle..
    http://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles/travel/attractions/castles/ross.shtm

Ross%20Castle%202.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Lett

Thanks! :)
    Not sure if I can go now, but I'll keep this bookmarked. Never been to the South West before, so hoping to go there soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement