Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

lowering superstrut suspension

Options
  • 05-08-2009 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

i have an 04 celica vvtli which i am considering getting lowered, should there be any issues getting this done on account of it having superstrut suspension. btw i am thinkin 30 mm and its just for appearance and not track or anything.....

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I wouldn't lower a car for the appearance, because it toughens up the ride a lot (you'll have to crawl over speed bumps) and you're going to have to have watch your front bumper a lot more too. Since there will be less of a spring rebound, a bit more strain will be put on the suspension arms and shocks.

I would lower a car for handling purposes though, it gives you a lower centre of gravity, the car sticks to the road better and you get a better feel out the suspension and steering.

My last Levin with Supersrut was lowered about 25mm and it handled great, any lower and it can have adverse effects and the handling though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭rrrkelly

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I wouldn't lower a car for the appearance, because it toughens up the ride a lot (you'll have to crawl over speed bumps) and you're going to have to have watch your front bumper a lot more too. Since there will be less of a spring rebound, a bit more strain will be put on the suspension arms and shocks.

I would lower a car for handling purposes though, it gives you a lower centre of gravity, the car sticks to the road better and you get a better feel out the suspension and steering.

My last Levin with Supersrut was lowered about 25mm and it handled great, any lower and it can have adverse effects and the handling though.

ok thanks for advice, as a matter of interest how did you go about lowering, coils etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

It came into the country lowered actually. It was lowered on TRD springs which bring it down by about 25-30 mm which is just about right if you ask me (for the Levin).

Other option is coilovers which are more expensive again but you can adjust other aspects of the suspension (usually from "really hard" to "too hard" all the way to "bone shattering" :D)

Advertisement