Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Place to drink after 2am

Options
  • 05-08-2009 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all

I'm getting married in Dublin next year. Just a small registry office affair, reception and afters at The Harbourmaster bar in the IFSC, which only opens until 2am. If I know our mates there will be more than a few people wanting to drink past that time. We'll probably be leading the way to be honest...;)

I know hotels serve alcohol to residents past 2am but I'm assuming that everyone drinking at the bar has to be staying at that hotel. I looked at Early Houses but they seem to only open from 7am. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

i'm pretty sure the latest you can serve alcohol in Ireland is 0230, so you'll just have to go home or have a house party. Sucks doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

You could head into the Czech Inn in Temple Bar (used to be Isolde's Tower) I think they're open til 4.30 (not 100% sure about the time)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Plenty of after hours places... can't broadcast though! PM you now Groom, congrats by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

lightening wrote: »
    Plenty of after hours places... can't broadcast though! PM you now Groom, congrats by the way.
    can you PM me these as well please? nearly drove each other demented the other week looking for places to go after 2am!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 miami365

any chance of passing them on to me as well if you dont mind?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

bucks, leggs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

is the viper rooms still oppen on the quays? I remember (or not lol) a few late nights there a couple of years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

go to the gigs place and order a 'special tea' and ask for a large teapot;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I think the Gaiety Bar is late closing. 3.30 or 4.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭salutations

You'd be left in Coppers til 3.30-4, then hit Gigs Place for some wine with your grub for a few hours then head to the early houses. That sounds like a very good craic wedding.
    Can i also get pm of the late places please. These latest closing times are a cnut, fckn TD's are so out of touch, just cause a small percentage of idiots are dunken messes we all have to suffer ****e closing times. I remember fondly the 24hr drinking of Sydney, ah happy days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

There's a small place opposite Eamon Dorans which is open late, but you can only get in there early (ie: not drunk). Remember leaving there at 3am, and they were still serving drinks.

From the front, the place is small, but has 4 or 5 floors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

the_syco wrote: »
    There's a small place opposite Eamon Dorans which is open late, but you can only get in there early (ie: not drunk). Remember leaving there at 3am, and they were still serving drinks.

From the front, the place is small, but has 4 or 5 floors.

Pal Joey's this place is called.

And I've gotten in there well after midnight, with pints on me.

But they can be fairly picky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

Des wrote: »
    Pal Joey's this place is called.

And I've gotten in there well after midnight, with pints on me.

But they can be fairly picky.

did that place not close down a few months ago? seen a for sale sign on it about 2 months ago . i used ta go there all the time after work didnt close til nearly 4o clock

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hellojed

Brilliant suggestions there lads, thanks a million for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭nia121

You'd be left in Coppers til 3.30-4, then hit Gigs Place for some wine with your grub for a few hours then head to the early houses. That sounds like a very good craic wedding.
    Can i also get pm of the late places please. These latest closing times are a cnut, fckn TD's are so out of touch, just cause a small percentage of idiots are dunken messes we all have to suffer ****e closing times. I remember fondly the 24hr drinking of Sydney, ah happy days!

Where's Gig's place???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

dont mind the review on that page, everything apart from the breakfast is disgusting in the gigs, and dont touch the wine, its some cheap german crap, leefamage (sp?). like i said earlier ask for a special tea served in a large teapot

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭nia121

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭salutations

dont mind the review on that page, everything apart from the breakfast is disgusting in the gigs, and dont touch the wine, its some cheap german crap, leefamage (sp?). like i said earlier ask for a special tea served in a large teapot

Whats in the special tea? It sounds intriguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Wish we'd know about the "large teapot" when living in Rathmines. I remember my last visit after a late night in the Portobello. I got a really horrid beans & toast and this is a pretty hard "dish" to fe*k up! Perhaps it would have gone down a lot easier if we'd ordered a large teapot :D

• Advertisement

whiskey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

Ah yes the old 4 am closing
    pal joeys is closed
    Viper room only opens on the weekends and its 230
    theres no way the gaitey stays open till 330 or coppers.
    its pretty mush as another poster said 230 last orders and half an hour chucking out.
    sundays are worse 130 god if I dont work monday why do I have to be peanalised.
    its high time these laws were repealed so we can get more tax revenue.
    24 hour drinking and 5 cent on the pint I could live with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

IRISH RAIL wrote: »
    Ah yes the old 4 am closing
    pal joeys is closed
    Viper room only opens on the weekends and its 230
    theres no way the gaitey stays open till 330 or coppers.
    its pretty mush as another poster said 230 last orders and half an hour chucking out.
    sundays are worse 130 god if I dont work monday why do I have to be peanalised.
    its high time these laws were repealed so we can get more tax revenue.
    24 hour drinking and 5 cent on the pint I could live with that.

No wonder tourism from UK is down so much(heard a guy on radiop recently).
    Most tourists that come to Dublin would want the option of a late drink. Imagine being here on holiday on a sunday night and everywhere shutting so early.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

I was over in Brighton last weekend (spent 4 nights there) and the clubs and bars there open and close at various times. One pub opened at 11am on Friday and opened all the way through till 2am on Tuesday.

Other pubs opened till 4, 5, 6, 7am. Some clubs opened till 4am and then other clubs would start up at that time until midday.

The staggered opening hours seems to work over there. I didnt see any trouble and the fact that you could drink for 24 hours didnt mean that there was a swarm of drunk zombies falling around the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I don't understand why we don't complain and protest more about the ridiculous closing times in this country. The absolute vast majority of us are in favour of being allowed to go out for a drink at whatever time we fancy.

Give pubs and clubs 18 hour licenses. Let them open for 18 hours of the day and it doesn't matter what times that is (but the pub will have to have a set time on their license). The 6 hours closed means people can't literally drink themselves to death in the pub and anyone drinking for too long will probably be refused from another place.

We'll still have most pubs opening to the hours they do now with an extra couple of hours on top of that.

Being drunk is no excuse for breaking the law but the government seem to be making it an excuse to miss work seeing as they don't trust anyone to make a decision when to go home.

Sunday's are the perfect example. Lot's of people will go out relatively early on a Sunday but they don't stay out til the death.

Advertisement