Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lexus IS250 V BMW 523i V BMW 520D

Options
  • 05-08-2009 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm really torn here as to what to buy next . The only thing I've decided is that I am changing ( from a E200K ) . I don't do a massive amount of mileage so fuel economy is not my major concern ( so whay the 520d ? Well I saw and drove the Msport and it was fine for me )

My budget is about 25K and I'm a cash buyer . I would hope to get an '06 but have no problem with an '05 plate.

What are peoples thoughts on the 3 above ?

Cheers

Shane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Here is a nice 523i M Sport which should come within budget:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200928194572098

Here is a nice 520d:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200929194642339

A nice IS250 too:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200922192925707

Given that you do very little mileage I would go for the 523i, the 6 cylinder is alot smoother than the 2.0 diesel. The IS250 would be a non runner for me even though the spec is decent and the price is good but it would be next to saleproof when you need to part with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

shanel23 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm really torn here as to what to buy next . The only thing I've decided is that I am changing ( from a E200K ) . I don't do a massive amount of mileage so fuel economy is not my major concern ( so whay the 520d ? Well I saw and drove the Msport and it was fine for me )

My budget is about 25K and I'm a cash buyer . I would hope to get an '06 but have no problem with an '05 plate.

What are peoples thoughts on the 3 above ?

Cheers

Shane

Go for the 523i. The 2.5L engine will do it justice.
    The only thing to bear in mind is selling it on.
    I cast that thought to the back of my mind though when I took the plunge and am very happy. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

If it's a nice car you want go for either of the petrol cars,4 pot diesels sound like tractors unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I'd go for the 523i, but there's nothing wrong with the IS250. Might be a tad harder to sell. Drive both and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Is250 is a great car. It's got poor leg room but thats about it's only fault. Great specification, good power. Make sure you get the multimedia edition though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Quick update -

It's come down to either of these - I can get either for the price I'm prepared to pay

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/523i-M-S/200928194544975/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Lexus/IS250/Executiv/200931194735903/advert?channel=CARS

Thoughts ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I would say the 5 series but those seats would turn me right off the car. I have black and red seats in my car but it's done a hell of a lot more tastefully than those. The look like an aftermarket addition to original half leather seats. If they could be redone maybe but they make it look a bit chav tbh.

On that basis alone I'd go for the IS. Looks a beaut

EPM wrote: »
    I would say the 5 series but those seats would turn me right off the car. I have black and red seats in my car but it's done a hell of a lot more tastefully than those. The look like an aftermarket addition to original half leather seats. If they could be redone maybe but they make it look a bit chav tbh.

On that basis alone I'd go for the IS. Looks a beaut

When I first saw the picture I had exactly your reaction but when you see it in the flesh it actually looks good ..

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭YozzerHughes

Oh I dunno... I have a bit of an allergy to red leather anyway but those seats.... Still though you'll be sitting on them, not looking at them most of the time. V nice motor other than that. Still think I'd take it ahead of the Lexus. The IS range is a tad too femine I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

The 523i is slow though compared to the 520d...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

For me it would come down to good drive in each, and then weighing up how the car would be used. If mostly me driving the Lexus would appeal, if a family car then the 5 every time. The Lexus is poorly packaged.

For me it would come down to good drive in each, and then weighing up how the car would be used. If mostly me driving the Lexus would appeal, if a family car then the 5 every time. The Lexus is poorly packaged.

What do you mean by poorly packaged ?

Cheers

mick.fr wrote: »
    The 523i is slow though compared to the 520d...

Rubbish. 190bhp compared with 177bhp in the diesel. And I know you'll start countering with torque figures, but the difference between them is marginal at best, and the petrol sounds sweeter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

What do you mean by poorly packaged ?

Cheers

Tight rear legroom, small boot. Even a 3 series is more spacious, never mind a 5.

OP, have you test driven both?
    It's coming down to personal preference at this stage. The 5-series is a class up from the IS, and as a result it is bigger inside, by a nice margin. But we don't know if that's a consideration for you!! The 5-series will probably be a tidier car from a handling point of view, I haven't driven the new IS so I can't confirm this, but I've been a passenger in a GS300 and it's a nice car. have you thought about a GS300?

Biro wrote: »
    OP, have you test driven both?
    It's coming down to personal preference at this stage. The 5-series is a class up from the IS, and as a result it is bigger inside, by a nice margin. But we don't know if that's a consideration for you!! The 5-series will probably be a tidier car from a handling point of view, I haven't driven the new IS so I can't confirm this, but I've been a passenger in a GS300 and it's a nice car. have you thought about a GS300?

I driven a good few of the BMWs and am taking the lexus for the weekend - I tend to agree with you that the BM is a class apart - its up there with the Merc -

Size is not a massive concern and I don't like the look of the GS .

• Registered Users Posts: 64,841 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Rubbish. 190bhp compared with 177bhp in the diesel.

I thought it was rubbish too, but I looked it up (presuming both have auto transmission). The 2005/2006 models E60:

520d - 163BHP
    523i - 177BHP

But the diesel has the newer 6sp autobox which makes it do 0-100km/h in 8.7s vs 9.3s for the petrol (the top speed is obviously higher in the petrol though athough that's hardly relevant in the real (Irish) world :))

So mick.fr is right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

523i v 520d question......desiel v petrol. This will run and run....subscribed.

This will run and run....subscribed.

:)

OP, as someone else said, if a IS is big enough, than a 3-series sure is too. For your budget you might be able to get an '05 M3. Now we're talkin' :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

If you could stretch an extra 5k you could probably bring in a 2008 model.

VRT on the 2008 on 520d is quite low due to their low CO2 output.
    I've seen clean looking examples on autotrader for £20k with 30k ish miles.
    You'd VRT it for about 6k Euro & have yourself one for 30k euro or so.
    And even though I know it makes little sense, the 150 euro road tax will be a big selling point when it comes to time for you to change.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    I thought it was rubbish too, but I looked it up (presuming both have auto transmission). The 2005/2006 models E60:

520d - 163BHP
    523i - 177BHP

But the diesel has the newer 6sp autobox which makes it do 0-100km/h in 8.7s vs 9.3s for the petrol (the top speed is obviously higher in the petrol though athough that's hardly relevant in the real (Irish) world :))

So mick.fr is right!

OK, admitidely I thought the 5-series was a 08, I saw 08 on the IS reg. Still, point 6 of a second on a 0-60 test doesn't mean one car is slow compared to the other.

point 6 of a second on a 0-60 test doesn't mean one car is slow compared to the other.

Agreed of course. As I said, my first reaction (in my head) was: bollocks! I was rather surprised to find the results for the diesel auto tbh. It is only a tenth of a second slower than the manual diesel on paper (and it is impossible to get manual results in the real world, but you get auto results every time). Wasn't aware of the 6 speed box - must find out about it :)

Just an update - finally decided on the IS250 for a change and pick her up later today . :D

Advertisement