Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine Stalling when decellerating

Options
  • 05-08-2009 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

Any ideas of where I should start looking, my 2000 1.8L Nissan Primera keeps stalling while I'm slowing down.

I need to keep blipping the throttle to keep it from stalling, if I rev the engine to 4000 and let go quickly it will also stall.

Other then that no problems at idle or accelerating.. I believe I might need to check the throttle valve make sure its clean. Also I changed the drive belts last week the (year 2000 belts) where in a really bad condition and I put the recommended NGK spark plugs into the engine as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Did the problem start before or after you changed the belts and plugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I had a 00 Almera for a while and it did this too..
    didn't really take any notice of it as I didn't own it and only had it for 2 weeks but it would be nice to know what the problem was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

you would want to get a code read on it, and may be put iton a good scanner. it could be any thing but i would be looking at the basics first.is the engine good? does it do it all the time even first thing in the morning? is there any fues gone. i could say check the icv and air flow meter but i'm guessing you don't have the tools. it should only cost about 35 euro to get a proper diagnostic report done which would give you a definite answer to your question
    any garage charging more than that is a bit of a rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

The problem started before I changed the belts and plugs, however it was very rare, yesterday morning it happened a lot. I drive the car 37miles to work, it had been sitting up for a few days since the work I did on it.

Now strangely last night and this morning it did not stall once although the revs did drop very low a couple of times. Also after the belts were changed the engine actually runs a lot smoother.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭X1R

It could be anything from the gap on the plugs to the Lambda Sensor on the exhaust. This may sound daft but it could be dirt build up in the engine. Not being smart but running an engine at 37mph won't burn off the carbon build up. Bring it for a right good hard run (accelerating hard, reving high) through all gears. This might clear it's throat ?? I used to rally a nissan Sunny and when I got the car first it was horribly under powered and dead, after the first hunt she was 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

X1R wrote: »
    It could be anything from the gap on the plugs to the Lambda Sensor on the exhaust. This may sound daft but it could be dirt build up in the engine. Not being smart but running an engine at 37mph won't burn off the carbon build up. Bring it for a right good hard run (accelerating hard, reving high) through all gears. This might clear it's throat ?? I used to rally a nissan Sunny and when I got the car first it was horribly under powered and dead, after the first hunt she was 100%.

I usually do run the engine vigorously, I drive 160 miles over the 2 days im in Dublin a week on combination of country, dual carriageway and city driving. Not running at 37mph I usually get to 60mph or 80mph on the Motorway.

I believe the engine is quite clean as the emissions results on my last NCT were very low, thanks to an enjoyably ;) drive to the NCT centre using the full 6500 RPM range of the engine.

Think I will have a look at the throttle valve and air intake over the weekend to see if I spot anything.

Advertisement