Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Hosting Companies - Please Help

Options
  • 05-08-2009 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi All,

My website is currently developed and hosted by the same company. I wish to change hosting and also continue to develop the website myself. The problem is, that I am unsure what steps I must do.

The current company have agreed to supply me with all the code for my site which I assume I can just upload to the new hosting location and my website will be live again?

My biggest concern is around the database where all the information is stored. How can I move this from the current company to the new hosting company so that my data will remain the same? I am concerned about loosing some or all of my data. I assume that if my current database is an SQL one the new database will have to be the same i.e. SQL?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I have done the same on a number of sites. The main problem I had was that I couldn't migrate email accounts over. I didn't mind recreating the addresses and so on, but some people leave their mail up on the server.

I use MySQL on both platforms, and that was dead easy to move. I shut down the site that writes to the database, took a backup and restored it to the new database. I'd be very surprised if you can't do something very similar in SQL. I have done it many times locally, but not in a hosted environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

You didn't mention any technologies except for SQL which is so generic that I don't even know what mainstream Database doesn't use it. Is your site on MS hosting and using MS SQL Server as a backend? SQL Server does allow backup/restore but I think not all hosting providers allow direct access to this functionality so you may have to resort to creating INSERT statements to transfer your data.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kgpixels

I have no experience with databases but moved 2 sites recently from a US provider I'd been with since '03 to an Irish provider and had no issues.
    I had all the files on my pc to begin with, so made it easier.
    My new provider setup my account and pointed the dns servers to the one I was moving from. Once I had my files uploaded to the new provider ok, I just renamed the servers to that of the new provider and I was in business.

Advertisement