Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Merchandise Shop

Options
  • 05-08-2009 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I am looking to sell some merchandise to people who visit my website... I have heard of Cube Cart and Zen Cart. Has anyone heard of these or use them? Or can you recommend anything else? I only have about 10 - 20 items so just looking for something straightforward and I dont want to re-direct to Ebay if at all possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

I set up a shop for a client with Magento. It's core theme looks so much better than that of ZenCart, and the admin panel seems rather easy to use.

The only problem you might have with it, is that it has some server requrements which are not met by the average shared hosting package.
    # PHP Compatibility:

* Required extensions:
    o PDO_MySQL
    o simplexml
    o mcrypt
    o hash
    o GD
    o DOM
    o iconv
    o SOAP (if Webservices API is to be used)
    * Safe_mode off
    * Memory_limit 32M or more

# MySQL:

* 4.1.20 or newer
    * InnoDB storage engine

# SSL:

* If HTTPS is used to work in the admin, SSL certificate should be valid. Self-signed SSL certificates are not supported

# Server - hosting - setup:

* Ability to run scheduled jobs (crontab) with PHP 5
    * Ability to override options in .htaccess files

There's a list of things you need to run the shop. If you're not sure whether your server meets the requirements, click here and follow the instructions.

On Magento's website there's a demo, if you want to see the cart for yourself.
    Front-end Demo here
    Admin Panel Demo here

I'm really happy with the way it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

+1 on Magento, it's pretty good. It does require a lot of extensions to be installed on your server. This can pose a problem for certain hosts. Others will be willing to sort you out when you explain why you use them.

My personal favourite ecommerce application at the moment is Prestashop. It's handy enough to install if you have some basic web knowledge, and very easy to update and customise.

One thing Magento certainly has in it's favour is the amount of themes and templates available for it. This might be an advantage if you are looking for web design on the cheap.

I have prestashop installed on a server, pm me if you want access for a few days to check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ifnotwhynot

Hoku, thanks for that - I will look into Magento - I should be ok regarding the system requirements. And all the themes and templates would be a great plus.

Thanks too spartacus93 I remember someone talking to me about Prestashop but i just couldnt remember the name. Will check that one out too.

Thanks folks, really appreciate it.

Advertisement