Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVP3360 Philips HDMI DVD Player (With USB) [€70 - D.I.D. Electrical]

Options
  • 05-08-2009 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭

Decent price for a bricks and mortar store. It's £56stg on Amazon.co.uk and that's before P&P charges.

It's meant to do a decent job of upscaling. The import thing, for me, is its ability to play video off a USB stick and (certain) USB hard drives.

It was available for €65 on the D.I.D. website up until recently with the option of in-store pick up. So, if you're pleasant, you may be able to get it for that price in-store.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭steamboat

Argos (in Galway at least) were selling this 3360 model as a 'substitute product' for the dvp3980 a few weeks ago for just €49.99 (if you ordered the 3980 in the catalogue they handed over the 3360 instead – the 3980 had pretty much the same spec but no usb). I should have bought it then - now that the new catalogue is out the 3360 is €85.99! I was holding out for the renowned dvp5990 which plays pretty much everything and has a usb port that supplies enough power to run a portable HDD (which is rare), but haven’t seen that model at a decent price lately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I heard that people were doing something similar in the UK; ordering the DVP3980 in Argos but getting the superior DVP5990. I tried doing that in Swords but it didn't work for me.

I don't know the internal workings of the different models but, according to amazon.co.uk, the 3360 is a newer model and has pretty much the same spec as the 5990 (minus the S/PDIF out for audio). The USB port on the 3360 is front mounted and is the USB 2.0 standard, whereas on the 5990 it's USB 1.1 and accessed via the rear.

Edit: Past instances in which I professed to have 'the skinny' on the devices' USB standards were fraudulent!

Fnz wrote: »
    I heard that people were doing something similar in the UK; ordering the DVP3980 in Argos but getting the superior DVP5990. I tried doing that in Swords but it didn't work for me.

:D I heard the same reports and was hoping to get the 5990 in Galway - but the 3360 came out instead... close but no cigar!
    I don't know the internal workings of the different models but, according to amazon.co.uk, the 3360 is a newer model and has pretty much the same spec as the 5990 (minus the S/PDIF out for audio). The USB port on the 3360 is front mounted and is the USB 2.0 standard, whereas on the 5990 it's USB 1.1 and accessed via the rear.

Pretty sure the 5990 is USB2.0 with the port in the front. The earlier model, dvp5980 had usb 1.1. Plenty of dicussion on avforums... e.g. here. Not so much info on the 3360 though

steamboat wrote: »
    Pretty sure the 5990 is USB2.0 with the port in the front. The earlier model, dvp5980 had usb 1.1. Plenty of dicussion on avforums... e.g. here.

You're probably right - I just read a review that mentioned "previous Philips players used USB 1.1" - but it didn't specify the 5990 so... mea culpa. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I heard that people were doing something similar in the UK; ordering the DVP3980 in Argos but getting the superior DVP5990.
    I'm pretty sure that happened to me, actually! In Argos on Jarvis St.

Couldn't guarantee it was the DVP3980 I was asking for but it was definitely the 5990 I walked out with. Remember thinking "eh, this isn't what I asked for", then checking online and realizing it was actually the better model. Nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

DVP5990 available in Harvey Norman for €69

coldfire1x wrote: »
    DVP5990 available in Harvey Norman for €69

That's a really good offer.

Found the 5990 on the powercity website with online price just 49.99! Wow! I ordered online and picked it up today from their fonthill store. They didn't actually have them in stock in the store but when you order online they will arrange to have it ready for collection in the store of your choice. Here's the link
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-19-P5990

I'm chuffed I finally got my DVP5990 :D

steamboat wrote: »
    Found the 5990 on the powercity website with online price just 49.99! Wow! I ordered online and picked it up today from their fonthill store. They didn't actually have them in stock in the store but when you order online they will arrange to have it ready for collection in the store of your choice. Here's the link
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-19-P5990

I'm chuffed I finally got my DVP5990 :D

That probably deserves a thread of its own, tbh. To hell with the OP of this thread.... and their, so-called, 'bargain'. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 fuzionzone

Hi,

Does anyone know if this dvd player will play 720p HDTV X264 files ?

Any infos would be appreciate.

Regards,

FZ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭gnolan

Sorry to resurrect this, but anyone got any ideas where to get a good deal on the DVP5990? Not up on the powercity website anymore, sales person says its a "finished model that we no longer have in stock". Also not in stock on amazon.co.uk and can't find any email address for Harvey Norman.

Is it quite an old product or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

gnolan wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect this, but anyone got any ideas where to get a good deal on the DVP5990? Not up on the powercity website anymore, sales person says its a "finished model that we no longer have in stock". Also not in stock on amazon.co.uk and can't find any email address for Harvey Norman.

Is it quite an old product or something?

Hi gnolan -
    I was looking for a DVP5990 too, and I phoned the Philips Store on Dame Street, and the (very knowledgeable) guy told me that yeah, they stopped selling that around Christmas, but I should get the DVP3360, which is the updated model of the DVP5990.

I did get a DVP3360, and it's played everything I've thrown at it, and I've also used the USB port on the front with a WD My Passport portable hard drive and it works beautifully.

The Philips store had the DVP3360 in stock last weekend for €69.99, so I'm sure they still have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭gnolan

quaalude wrote: »
    Hi gnolan -
    I was looking for a DVP5990 too, and I phoned the Philips Store on Dame Street, and the (very knowledgeable) guy told me that yeah, they stopped selling that around Christmas, but I should get the DVP3360, which is the updated model of the DVP5990.

I did get a DVP3360, and it's played everything I've thrown at it, and I've also used the USB port on the front with a WD My Passport portable hard drive and it works beautifully.

The Philips store had the DVP3360 in stock last weekend for €69.99, so I'm sure they still have them.

I didn't realise it was the updated model, are you definite of that? Also do you know if it can be altered to make it multi-region? Thanks

EDIT: Also i'm hoping to play .avi's through the usb, is this possible or is it only .mpeg that it plays? Also does it support subtitle files?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I think Harvey Norman still has DVP5990 for €69

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

gnolan wrote: »
    I didn't realise it was the updated model, are you definite of that? Also do you know if it can be altered to make it multi-region? Thanks

EDIT: Also i'm hoping to play .avi's through the usb, is this possible or is it only .mpeg that it plays? Also does it support subtitle files?

Well, the dude from the Philips store who seemed knowledgeable told me the DVP3360 was the updated version of the DVP5990, but you'd need to check that out to make sure.

Yes, I made the DVP3360 region-free with these instructions: http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/philips-dvp3360-region-unlock-code-t368017.html

Yes, it plays avi's through the USB (divx and xvids).

I don't know for sure about the subtitle files, I'll need to check that.

Also, you can download and update the firmware on it from here: http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?slg=ENG&ctn=DVP3360%2F05&submit.x=0&submit.y=0#

• Registered Users Posts: 65,027 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thanks for the links, quaalude :)

Bought this player just now in Power City. Talked them down from 69.99 to 65 which is a good price for this great little player. The firmware upgrade was easy - and so was the region hack.

So far I've only used a USB stick with DIVX on it but it is working fine!

Bought a HDMI cable in Argos for 7.49...

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dazzday

Worth an update on this tread as it really is a beautiful little player.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-DVP3360-05-Upscaling-Player/dp/B0024FA8UQ/ref=dp_cp_ob_ce_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1259241238&sr=8-4

With amazons free shipping works out at €48ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭dermob

hey all, lookes like a great little player.

Does anyone know if it will upscale a standard analogue picture when ntl is ran through it?

Advertisement