Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking Dundrum

Options
  • 05-08-2009 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

My fiance has just accepted a job working in Dundrum Town Centre. She will have to drive to work and we have just realised that parking in the shopping centre is very expensive. Does anybody know of anywhere else in the area where there is free or cheaper parking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

has she asked about staff parking, mayb the might give her a disc to say she works in X , , im sure with so many ppl workin out there, they would have to soffer some sort of staff parking

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fox1978

Cheers,

Yeah there's no staff parking in Dundrum - one of the "perks" of the job! You gotta fork out the full day's rate each day. It's useless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Luas?

Yeah maybe. Could look into parking at the Luas station maybe or getting it over from Sandyford. We live in Dun Laoghaire so public transport is crap to get to Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the 75 goes from dunlaoire to dundrum...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,185 ✭✭✭✭L1011

the old dundrum shopping centre down the hill is 6 euro a day for parking - its one of the cheaper places around. May even have a slightly cheaper week rate. Its not free, but its better than having to park miles away and walk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭TiwstaSista

a real harsh reality eh? :D may i suggest commuting then if it will be more convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

thats a bit sh1tty that they dont have staff parking - i woudlnt chance parking in any of the housing estates though as im sure they are always full of clampers - check out the carpark up the town and see how much that is, bout 2 mins walk from SC and then the one straight across from winters at the cinema enterance, i think its a council car park so it might not be as expensive, otherwise only option really is luas - drive to sandyford and park car ther and get luas into dundrum

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

There's a Luas car park across the road from the centre at the station - I think it's 4 euro all day. It's only meant to be for Luas passengers, but I'm not sure how much they check.

Cheers for all that guys,

Yeah she knows about the 75 but if you know about that bus you'll know it's a pain in the ass as it goes like once an hour or something.

The Luas car park sounds promising. Think we'll just go up and suss out the area, talk to other people who work in the Shopping Centre and see what most people do.

Appreciate the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Fox1978 wrote: »
    Cheers for all that guys,

Yeah she knows about the 75 but if you know about that bus you'll know it's a pain in the ass as it goes like once an hour or something.

The Luas car park sounds promising. Think we'll just go up and suss out the area, talk to other people who work in the Shopping Centre and see what most people do.

Appreciate the advice.

I'd have to say that as a very regular 75 user you're being a little unfair to the service. The 75 operates every 30 minutes off-peak and more frequently at peak hours. Since the introduction of the revised timetable in April 2008 it has become very reliable. Therefore I would suggest that your initial comment that "She will have to drive to work" is not correct. Rather "she would prefer to drive to work.

Journey time is approximately 25 minutes from Dun Laoghaire to Dundrum, except the buses that go via Sandyford Industrial Estate, which would take about 35 minutes. In the opposite direction, allow approximately 35-45 minutes for the bus to get from Tallaght to Dundrum (depending on peak/off-peak).

Times are at http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/75/

The fare is EUR 2.20 each way - buy a 10 Journey Travel 90 smartcard and that reduces to EUR 1.80 per journey. FAR cheaper than car park charges.

A 30 day Rambler Smartcard costs EUR 100 and is valid for use on any individual 30 days over an (approximately) 18 month period. Using that the fare drops to EUR 1.67 per trip assuming two trips per day.

KC61 wrote: »
    I'd have to say that as a very regular 75 user you're being a little unfair to the service. The 75 operates every 30 minutes off-peak and more frequently at peak hours. Since the introduction of the revised timetable in April 2008 it has become very reliable. Therefore I would suggest that your initial comment that "She will have to drive to work" is not correct. Rather "she would prefer to drive to work.

Journey time is approximately 25 minutes from Dun Laoghaire to Dundrum, except the buses that go via Sandyford Industrial Estate, which would take about 35 minutes. In the opposite direction, allow approximately 35-45 minutes for the bus to get from Tallaght to Dundrum (depending on peak/off-peak).

Times are at http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/75/

The fare is EUR 2.20 each way - buy a 10 Journey Travel 90 smartcard and that reduces to EUR 1.80 per journey. FAR cheaper than car park charges.

A 30 day Rambler Smartcard costs EUR 100 and is valid for use on any individual 30 days over an (approximately) 18 month period. Using that the fare drops to EUR 1.67 per trip assuming two trips per day.

Cheers for this clarification. Yes indeed, she does 'prefer' to drive as you say, and not take the bus. I didn't know it was every half hour though. That's great. I'll tell her that. I do imagine she'll still want to drive though. I would imagine though if she can park for €4-€6 per day (plus petrol obviously), she'll do that over the €3.34 return bus trip per day as per your best pricing description.

Thanks though, I'll let her know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Fox1978 wrote: »
    Cheers for this clarification. Yes indeed, she does 'prefer' to drive as you say, and not take the bus. I didn't know it was every half hour though. That's great. I'll tell her that. I do imagine she'll still want to drive though. I would imagine though if she can park for €4-€6 per day (plus petrol obviously), she'll do that over the €3.34 return bus trip per day as per your best pricing description.

Thanks though, I'll let her know this.

Well if her employer is a member of the taxsaver commuter ticket scheme, she can get monthly/annual tickets through that.

Under that (depending on her salary level) the saving is even higher - the net cost to an employee is far cheaper - the daily cost could be as little as EUR 1.60 per day if tax is at 41% and EUR 2.30 if taxed at 20%.

Look at www.taxsaver.ie for more information.

I would not be so quick to discount using the bus - explore the options and examine what's best for you. Given that money is not flowing around like it was there could be a significant saving to be made here.

Cool amigo, didn't know anything about that so will check out that site.

Cheers for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Also the dublin bus season tickets might work on Nightlink and Airlink. if you get one a few times a year it eats into the daily travel cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

There's plenty of free parking in the area, it will just involve a 10-15 minute brisk walk each way. Go around some of the housing estates in various directions and you'll find it. Should still be faster than public transport too.

Advertisement