Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny half marathon and 10km

Options
  • 05-08-2009 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

The wrong date for the Kilkenny half marathon is in the kilkenny people newspaper this week. This is in aid of a charity and is being held on sunday 20th September 2009 (not the 30th as is in the paper). I hope this removes any confusion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

The wrong date for the Kilkenny half marathon is in the kilkenny people newspaper this week. This is in aid of a charity and is being held on sunday 20th September 2009 (not the 30th as is in the paper). I hope this removes any confusion.

Sounds good,any other deails ?
    Time,venue,cost.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭finlma

I'd be interested in finding out a bit more about this too. I can't find anything on the internet about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 colinactiveage

Both the Kilkenny 10 km and half marathon start in the centre of the kilkenny city at 11 am on Sunday the 20th September. Entry is to open on runireland.com tomorrow. Entry costs are 25 and 35 euro respectively for the 10 & 21.1 km races.

Both the Kilkenny 10 km and half marathon start in the centre of the kilkenny city at 11 am on Sunday the 20th September. Entry is to open on runireland.com tomorrow. Entry costs are 25 and 35 euro respectively for the 10 & 21.1 km races.

Thanks,i will more than likely be doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Perfect timing, i can't do the half in dublin the following weekend, and 5 weeks from DCM is pretty much on the money, and its local...:)

• Advertisement

asimonov wrote: »
    Perfect timing, i can't do the half in dublin the following weekend, and 5 weeks from DCM is pretty much on the money, and its local...:)

are you going all out or at MP ?

I have my doubts about going all out,what can i gain only tiredness during the week.
    The following week i have 55m to go and dont fancy a fall out from pushing to hard.

Sosa wrote: »
    are you going all out or at MP ?

I have my doubts about going all out,what can i gain only tiredness during the week.
    The following week i have 55m to go and dont fancy a fall out from pushing to hard.

right now...i'm thinking all out, but maybe do it with no hard session the following week until the LSR - and just hit the mileage at recovery and easy pace. The reason i'd race it is because psychologically i want to know if i am on track. You're going to be in good shape at that stage, i'd say its going to be hard to resist with a number on you- but i can see where you are coming from. What other races are you thinking of between now and DCM?

right now...i'm thinking all out, but maybe do it with no hard session the following week until the LSR - and just hit the mileage at recovery and easy pace. The reason i'd race it is because psychologically i want to know if i am on track. You're going to be in good shape at that stage, i'd say its going to be hard to resist with a number on you- but i can see where you are coming from. What other races are you thinking of between now and DCM?

I have none planned at the minute,i am happy enough not racing because i know it really tires me out,and i want to be able to do all my hard sessions.

I don't see how racing that can make me feel better about Dublin,I want to get to the start line as fresh as possible and have all my tempos,vo2's,MP runs and LSR's done,if i can manage that ( injury free ),thats all the onfidence i need.

Sosa wrote: »
    I have none planned at the minute,i am happy enough not racing because i know it really tires me out,and i want to be able to do all my hard sessions.

I don't see how racing that can make me feel better about Dublin,I want to get to the start line as fresh as possible and have all my tempos,vo2's,MP runs and LSR's done,if i can manage that ( injury free ),thats all the onfidence i need.

yes, i can understand that. i suppose i picked stepping stone targets along the way and i'm keen enough to hit them. However, if i see you in kilkenny - i'll have to taunt you into racing it :D

yes, i can understand that. i suppose i picked stepping stone targets along the way and i'm keen enough to hit them. However, if i see you in kilkenny - i'll have to taunt you into racing it :D

My mind is already made up,taunt all you like.
    Just under 90 mins....
    Im only doing it because i have a 14m @ MP that Sunday anyway,so i figured it would be a hell of a lot easier to do it in a race than on my own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

Hey, looking to beat my Achill time of 1:40 in this race by a good few mins, wondering if anyone actually knows the course and could let me know what it's like. Have been searching for a profile without luck so any ideas would be great, cheers.

Diggy78 wrote: »
    Hey, looking to beat my Achill time of 1:40 in this race by a good few mins, wondering if anyone actually knows the course and could let me know what it's like. Have been searching for a profile without luck so any ideas would be great, cheers.

Here is the course profile

Map my run profile

i drove some of the course at the weekend - there are a couple of medium hills in the first half, second half looks flat and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

Here is the course profile

Map my run profile

i drove some of the course at the weekend - there are a couple of medium hills in the first half, second half looks flat and fast.

Cheers Asimov, that profile looks like a (tongue in cheek) relatively easy half, great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Diggy78 wrote: »

I ran it with the organiser. Starts in town. Goes out the country on nice quiet roads. You end up coming back into town.

I ran 1.23 in Lisburn and i reckon i would smash it in Kilkenny. When you are in the shops around the town watch your change. Shopkeepers tend to throw in an all ireland medal instead of a two euro coin because they have won so many all irelands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Going to run this on Sunday (assuming a knee niggle clears up). Where is the nearest hotel to the start? Thanks.

buck65 wrote: »
    Going to run this on Sunday (assuming a knee niggle clears up). Where is the nearest hotel to the start? Thanks.

Kilkenny is compact so everywhere in the city centre is an easy walk to the start / finish. I'd think the following hotels are good;

- hibernian
    - rivercourt
    - ormonde
    - pembroke

in that order; but the ormonde would be the dearest one.

Advertisement