Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips to improve 1 year old lawn

Options
  • 05-08-2009 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi, I have a 1 year old lawn and while it is not too bad, there are some pretty bad patches (where the grass looks very thin) and also where there is brown grass. I mow the lawn regularly (but not too much) and tried mulching for a bit.

What my question is, is there anything I can do to improve the thickness and colour of the grass. Can I plant more seed (or is this a silly idea). Do I just put fertiliser on it?

This maybe a bit of a numpty question, but thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi..
    Feed it would be the place to start...
    Now that it is a year old you can use some of the "weed N feed" solutions to help clear it up, they will also green it up too...

Remember you're mowing a crop of it every week or so... it takes a bit of feeding to keep the grass in good fettle...

Cheers..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Not sure how often you cut your grass, but having bought a new mower recently and starting mowing more often, I've found that the grass is improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Gto the creamery, get a bag of fertiliser like the farmers use, then watch it grow. Trust me you will be on here in two or three weeks looking to know how to stop it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

pazza wrote: »
    Hi, I have a 1 year old lawn and while it is not too bad, there are some pretty bad patches (where the grass looks very thin) and also where there is brown grass. I mow the lawn regularly (but not too much) and tried mulching for a bit.

What my question is, is there anything I can do to improve the thickness and colour of the grass. Can I plant more seed (or is this a silly idea). Do I just put fertiliser on it?

This maybe a bit of a numpty question, but thanks for any help.

I would suggest aerating slightly, (stab it with garden fork) I've re-sown bald patches in my lawn, scatter topsoil on top.

Dried chicken manure pellets (€13ish for big tub), I've also used this on my lawn and have super growth and colour. You can also use chicken manure pellets on all your other plants and trees in the garden too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

My brother in law (he's a farmer) suggested I get a 50kg bag of 10/10/20 for about €25 which would fertillise my lawns and have good strong grass growing in no time. Much cheaper than the smaller bags of stuff you can buy in woodies that cost twice as much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pazza

thanks for all the suggestions/replies, I will have fun now trying the different options and see what works best. Seems like a good time to try all this (wet and warm) - so hopefully get a nice full green grass soon. thanks.

I got 2 50kg bags of 10/10/20 in Farringtons, Rathcoffey (near Maynooth), Co. Kildare for €23 each. They do 25kg, 50kg or bulk loads depending on how much you want. They do all types of fertilliser depending on your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Be careful with the 10/10/20. Don't spread it too heavy or you will be cutting your lawn every second day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Use 7/6/17 instead of 10/10/20 as the later has high nitrogen content and will lead to very rapid grass groth.

My soil is extremely poor and the grass seed that was put down 8 weeks ago is growing very poorly in most places. I did ask the landscaper to fertillise the soil before he laid the seed but he wanted €300 for this (the fertilliser only cost €23) so I told him to forget it. Now the lawn badly needs nutrients or it will fail imo. What grass is there is turning yellow due to lack of feed in the soil.

My brother in law is a farmer in Mayo and he managed to get good green grass from the rocky bogs that he inherited by using the 10/10/20. I've used the stuff you can buy in the major DIY outlets in the past and it was useless and very expensive when bought in sufficient quantities to do my acre of land.

• Advertisement
Advertisement