Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open-mindedness

Options
  • 05-08-2009 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

A very informative video on open-mindedness & skeptical thinking

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

A lot of time wa taken into making that video & it bored me so much that I stopped it before 3 mins. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Well we can't all think, can we?

That was extremely good! +5.

But come here to me....I know girls do in fact live in radiators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Well we can't all think, can we?

Warf. I'll go back to my radaiator

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭hinduhamster

This video is pretty hilarious,

I don't need a video to tell me (using biased "problem situations") to tell me to think critically.

There are numerous leaps in thought here so all I'll say is...... either get the popcorn or get ready for the inevitable "God v Science" debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Excellent video, everyone should watch it and pay attention to the fallacies he details. You would get a lot less nonsense on this forum if they did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

i disagree, considering whats in that video is blindingly obvious to most of us. there'd be less rubbish in this forum if there were less high horses, particularly from those who like to preach.

iamhunted wrote: »
    i disagree, considering whats in that video is blindingly obvious to most of us.

if only that were true ....

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its a bit preachy, states the bleeding obvious (to me anyway) a lot of the time. :) But still, worthwhile to be reminded that everyone on either side of the fence carries an internal bias.

Who made the vid, anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

Wicknight wrote: »
    if only that were true ....

I wonder if this outlines how 'skeptics' dont really understand what they're being skeptical about. I dont see that many 'paranormalists' that post on here that *dont* already know this - as Oryx says, it does state the obvious.

Still. Have to admit though, I watched it just because it was posted on here - normally I would have done as starbelgrade done and knocked it off after a few minutes as its nothing new and a bit old hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Oryx wrote: »
    Its a bit preachy, states the bleeding obvious (to me anyway) a lot of the time. :) But still, worthwhile to be reminded that everyone on either side of the fence carries an internal bias.

Who made the vid, anyway?

I agree the examples he uses in the video are very basic, but I think the points he makes are important ones to remember while discussing the paranormal.

It's made by a guy on youtube called QualiaSoup, he has a good few videos on there mostly addressing superstitious beliefs and skeptical thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

i disagree, considering whats in that video is blindingly obvious to most of us.

I assume when you say "most of us" you are including yourself, in which case I'm glad you've finally come around! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Biased self-indulgence.

I wonder if this outlines how 'skeptics' dont really understand what they're being skeptical about. I dont see that many 'paranormalists' that post on here that *dont* already know this - as Oryx says, it does state the obvious.

Really? I find that a bit hard to believe.

There are posts all the time saying things like "I experienced X, Y, Z, how do you explain that Mr. Skeptic/Scientist ... "

Which is a fallacy dealt with nicely in that video, among other things.

While you may think it is obvious when pointed out, all the fallacies detailed in this video take place on this and the parent forum at regular intervals.

I
    But still, worthwhile to be reminded that everyone on either side of the fence carries an internal bias.

What are you talking about? The whole video was dedicated to how not to have internal bias. That is the essence of scepticism.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

What are you talking about? The whole video was dedicated to how not to have internal bias. That is the essence of scepticism.
    And I was agreeing with the video on that point. The ideal is not to have bias. But everyone does, even you in some areas. :) It can be completely unconcious. Anyone who says they are completely unbiased in all ways is deluding themselves. We are creatures of our cultures, education and upbringing, we cannot help but make assumptions. Its a shortcut in the brain that usually helps us.

A good example is given in the book supersense, a case where doctors in an A&E unit (in the states Im not sure) turned away a genuinely sick child 3 times, as they had made an assumption about her mother overreacting. Only on the third occasion with the kid at deaths door did good sense prevail. These were professional, experienced people who ignored the evidence in front of them because of an unconcious bias they had about bleedin panicky mothers.

This is why I say its good to be reminded of how our minds can work sometimes.

And I was agreeing with the video on that point. The ideal is not to have bias. But everyone does, even you in some areas. :) It can be completely unconcious. Anyone who says they are completely unbiased in all ways is deluding themselves. We are creatures of our cultures, education and upbringing, we cannot help but make assumptions. Its a shortcut in the brain that usually helps us.

A good example is given in the book supersense, a case where doctors in an A&E unit (in the states Im not sure) turned away a genuinely sick child 3 times, as they had made an assumption about her mother overreacting. Only on the third occasion with the kid at deaths door did good sense prevail. These were professional, experienced people who ignored the evidence in front of them because of an unconcious bias they had about bleedin panicky mothers.

This is why I say its good to be reminded of how our minds can work sometimes.
    Me? Bias?:rolleyes: Yeah right.....

But seriously, I think I may have misinterpreted your meaning there. Apologies.

Advertisement