Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grange Castle

Options
  • 05-08-2009 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

Lo all,
    Hope this is the correct forum. Myself, Tallon, and two others (I know of them is on boards.ie, the other I'm not sure of), and we took lots of photos.

What makes this photo shoot nice was we gained access to the castle bit, and as I like panoramas, I took a few. Two were only the basic once around the room
    EF3D8B2816734C9EA58BAA6788C67ECB-800.jpg
    and I got one including the floor and ceiling
    49554483A3004CC48139982FA6B62BF6-800.jpg

The brick work, etc, was very nice. Unfortunately, the restoration of it was stopped. It may have been due to funding, but not all that sure.

We did, however, find a brochure, which we'll scan in, showing, I'm told, before and after pictures of what they did do.

There was one or two odd bits, though. One of the sections of wall was built around a tree, which was weird.

There was what looked like an animal shed there. As you'll see on the right-hand side, there is what looks like troughs. Also, just to the left of the centre, the brick-work on the ground looked like there was either a wall of some type, or maybe a fence?

And now for the bit that I ask "WTF is this?"

Finally, there was what looked like some sort of mill thing. To be honest, I've no idea, but I'm hoping the documentation will tell me. Here are a few pictures of it:
    23CAB4AA80F34EA68216C58B086426F2-240.jpg
    (A) would be inside the structure. I think someone else took a picture of the object, and I'll see if I can get a photo of the piece.

(B) looks like... I have no idea. Tallons picture from the side, or here's a picture of it from above.

(C) looks like a well. Here's a shot by Tallon which shows it better. Looking at it, you'll see the pole and turning bit (and a close up of it. If you look to the side of the well (within the larger hole), you'll see two metal bits. I assume they were to hold something. What, I don't know.

All of it was raised above ground level, so I'm assuming because of that, that it was a well. Someone here may have seen something like it, or something :S

=-=

I'll update this with more information. Any questions, please ask, and I'll answer if I can.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

A looks like there is an underground stream of some sort and that by the wheel turning with the power of the water was making something operate inside the castle. They used to do that for mills beside big rivers (Bennetsbridge Co. Kilkenny) and the Jameson factory used to have something similar I believe.

Advertisement