Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night Buses London - Safe

Options
  • 04-08-2009 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if night buses in London are safe? Is the fare normal and can I use my oyster card? I'll be taking the N18.Thanks, can't find info online

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Never had a problem with them myself safety wise; the fares are now identical to day fares and you can use your Oyster card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Thanks. Was looking at the timetable, they're quiet frequent so maybe won't be packed to the gills thus less chance for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

MYOB wrote: »
    Never had a problem with them myself safety wise; the fares are now identical to day fares and you can use your Oyster card.

+1

its like everywhere, your always going to get someone who wants to act the numpty, london has its good and bad areas like everywhere else, as long as your aware of your surroundings, dont be acting foolish, ie, drunk and travelling on your own, if your not sure of the area, stay with friends, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

irish-stew wrote: »
    +1

its like everywhere, your always going to get someone who wants to act the numpty, london has its good and bad areas like everywhere else, as long as your aware of your surroundings, dont be acting foolish, ie, drunk and travelling on your own, if your not sure of the area, stay with friends, etc etc.

I'll be getting the bus on my own though, thats why I'm kinda nervous

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Maverick88

I would think the N18 will be fairly packed. You'll normally find central London gridlocked at 2am on a Saturday and Sunday morning (usually around Piccadilly). Usually a good atmosphere on board. As others have mentioned you'll always have the potential of an utter knobhead getting on board. Never had a problem with the nightbuses

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

sitstill wrote: »
    I'll be getting the bus on my own though, thats why I'm kinda nervous
    Theres no need to be nervous on any London bus. :)

2644171457_c0a58eac51_o1-450x631.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

sitstill wrote: »
    Does anyone know if night buses in London are safe? Is the fare normal and can I use my oyster card? I'll be taking the N18.Thanks, can't find info online

I've taken them from time to time and they're grand, certainly no worse than Nitelinks in Dublin. London Buses are blurring the distinction (which used to be as bad as here) between night and day buses, and many "normal' bus routes now operate overnight in addition to the night bus network.

This won't affect you if you're using your Oyster card, but if you are using a One Day Travelcard (not many locals do any more, but plenty of tourists still do) beware that the Travelcard validity ends at 4:30am so make sure you board the bus before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭TiwstaSista

night bus drivers are great ones and you need not worry about safety, they've that in mind. relax and after your first ride you'll shrug off all the worries behind.;)

It should be safe as long as you use common sense.

Advertisement