Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what kind of area is Upper John St.?

Options
  • 04-08-2009 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi

I'm currently in the process of moving house. Saw a nice apartment today up on Upper John St., just across from what used be the Quality Hotel. The complex is called Redmond House. Lovely apartment on the inside - bright and airy, exactly what we're looking for.

I'm just wondering if anybody has lived up there? Whats the area like?

I've read a few dodgy things about Upper John St but they seem to relate to further up the street.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

It's dodgy enough alright... I wouldn't consider it unless you work nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

na its grand i lived there before, its only cuz shandon street is nearby..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭ajsp.

That end of it would be just like most places in the city but Lower John St ( or winos alley as we called it as kids) would be a little doggy at night alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

ajsp. wrote: »
    That end of it would be just like most places in the city but Lower John St ( or winos alley as we called it as kids) would be a little doggy at night alright.

awww

what kind of little doggy?

That area can be fairly WUFF alright.... :):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭ajsp.

all_smilz wrote: »
    awww

what kind of little doggy?

That area can be fairly WUFF alright.... :):p

:):o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Nah, its a grand spot. Same as any other part of the city centre really. That apartment complex is an eyesore though. Might be nice enough on the inside though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 totoro_kid

Nah, its a grand spot. Same as any other part of the city centre really. That apartment complex is an eyesore though. Might be nice enough on the inside though.

Ya looks rough outside alright but very nice inside. Very bright and lots of room. Looking at a second place up there this evening so will see how they compare.

Looking at a few places across town on South Terrace and on the Quays - they are more expensive but I wonder if they are worth it to be in a nicer area!

Don't fancy walking by 'winos alley' at night :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Believe me, I've lived near both of those spots and I'd take my chances heading northside rather than around south terrace at night. Roughly same distance from city though, so its much of a muchness.

That apartment complex up on John Street insist on dumpint their rubbish in that tiny little yard on the street. Must be badly run if that's what they are reduced to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 MT2

If you plan on parking your car anywhere on that street forget it. EVERY weekend a minimum of 2/3 cars get their windows smashed or something broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 J.Bandito

Found this interesting as i've been living on this street for a few months now and frankly its a great area. Nice neighbours, mostly families or older people and it's surprisingly quiet.
    On the downside we have had our bin disappear completely one night and on another occasion we had a large and emotional drunk guy banging and screaming at every door along the road at 3am, scared the bejesus out of me and my girlfriend!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jonny ambition

I live in redmond house now. Moved in about a week ago. Tis' a grand spot, across the river but not far from the city centre. Redmond House is nice because its a small apartment block (5 apartments) and I basically meet all the neighbors in the first few days. Happy enough at the moment and didn't had any problems walking home from the pub after closing on Friday. There's an area for your rubbish at the side of the block which I think will be padlocked soon (according to our property manager) and the main door uses an electronic lock so no wake up calls at 3am.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

MT2 wrote: »
    If you plan on parking your car anywhere on that street forget it. EVERY weekend a minimum of 2/3 cars get their windows smashed or something broken.

I lived there for four years, never saw anything like that.

Advertisement