Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballylynan V's Ballylinan

Options
  • 04-08-2009 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Can someone please tell me why the natives of Ballylynan choose to spell it as Ballylinan? It is signed posted and in maps as "yly" but the school, GAA, anything that comes from the area spells it wrong ??? Whats the story???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Hamburglar

Lived there for years & always spelled it with an I, Dont know anyone from around who spelled it the other way, Council signs can be strange, There's a sign for Ballacolla outside Rathdowney & its spelt Ballycolla, Maybe its some old irish way of spelling??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Most Towns and Townlands have at least 2 spellings and some I have seen have up to 6 different ways to spell the name.
    Over the centuries the original spelling, e.g. "y" will become "i", and this becomes the norm. A mapmaker may insist that one spelling is correct but the census may use another spelling.
    I don't believe that either way is correct or wrong but the local spelling is usually considered correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭heathcliff

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Most Towns and Townlands have at least 2 spellings and some I have seen have up to 6 different ways to spell the name.
    Over the centuries the original spelling, e.g. "y" will become "i", and this becomes the norm. A mapmaker may insist that one spelling is correct but the census may use another spelling.
    I don't believe that either way is correct or wrong but the local spelling is usually considered correct.

Since I have moved here I have spelt it the "y" way after seeing it spelt everywhere with the Y and since the new population I would say now out numbers the originals will it in time be spelt my way ????......

• Registered Users Posts: 12 davyirl321

Who gives a crap how its spelled, its still a ****hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Ozzie

HA HA!!!

• Advertisement

davyirl321 wrote: »
    Who gives a crap how its spelled, its still a ****hole.

I am not from the area but live here now, the people from here do not like strangers but for a ****hole of a place that it is, there is only a few decent locals who welcome us strangers ( they like to stay close to home, every one around here seems to be related to each other in some way its weird...) lol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 thesaharastyle

we dont mind wat way you'd spell it
    be wild make your own spelling for it
    is that place on map even:D:D:D:D:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Apparently it has been standardised to Ballylinan. However if you click the Archival Record at the bottom right, you'll see that the Irish is Baile Uí Laidhghnén, or "Lynan's Town".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Build a bridge people,ye have little to be worried about.

heathcliff wrote: »
    I am not from the area but live here now, the people from here do not like strangers but for a ****hole of a place that it is, there is only a few decent locals who welcome us strangers ( they like to stay close to home, every one around here seems to be related to each other in some way its weird...) lol...

Your right. Ballylinan actually has a two-tier community. For far too long people like farmers and Ballylinan GAA think they own the village and are down right snobs. As for the gossip queens, dont get me started!!! If your not a farmer or involved in the GAA, your cast as an outsider. There are a few decent people around the village though. I for one welcome new people to the village. My advise for outsiders who live in Ballylinan now is to not get involved with these people. Alot of these people are related to each other. As I say, if they dont welcome you, dont bother with them.
    I'm glad i moved away when I did.

• Advertisement

Oh Davy you gave me a laugh, I would love to read out your post in mass on a Sunday morning..... I don't think that it would go now well but what the hell...

Oh Davy you gave me a laugh, I would love to read out your post in mass on a Sunday morning..... I don't think that it would go now well but what the hell...

Ha Ha Ha. Perhaps it would be best not to, as I dont think that would go down too well at all, but I'm not the only one with that opinion. There are still many others in the village who feel the same way. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Like all rural communities you have two choices, you can interact with the locals and get involved in the community or you can hide behind your door and isolate yourself and bitch that the locals are not friendly.
    When I moved into Ballylynan I said hello to the people I met and was made feel welcome, it may have taken a few weeks but thats the nature of people.
    The drama society called to see if we would like to get involved, as well as the "dreaded GAA".
    I went down the village at the weekends, people get used to seeing you out and will ask the obvious of where are you from or what do you do.
    As more people moved to the village I did notice that it wasnt the locals who were the unfriendly ones but the new residents, they are the ones who will put their heads down rather than say hello when they meet you on the path.
    For a small community they make the most of what is around for the kids, Just walk down by the football pitch and you have kids that are just able to kick a ball, you got hurling and soccer. All of which welcome new members.
    Comming up to christmas the drama group accept any help they can get.
    In all fairness it is a rural village, what are people expecting??? wild nightlife and high rollers :confused:
    Its like everything in life if you dont want to fit in you wont :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

Since I have moved here I have spelt it the "y" way after seeing it spelt everywhere with the Y and since the new population I would say now out numbers the originals will it in time be spelt my way ????......

You CHOSE to move to Ballylynan? Jesus. Why?

homerhop wrote: »
    Like all rural communities you have two choices, you can interact with the locals and get involved in the community or you can hide behind your door and isolate yourself and bitch that the locals are not friendly.
    When I moved into Ballylynan I said hello to the people I met and was made feel welcome, it may have taken a few weeks but thats the nature of people.
    The drama society called to see if we would like to get involved, as well as the "dreaded GAA".
    I went down the village at the weekends, people get used to seeing you out and will ask the obvious of where are you from or what do you do.
    As more people moved to the village I did notice that it wasnt the locals who were the unfriendly ones but the new residents, they are the ones who will put their heads down rather than say hello when they meet you on the path.
    For a small community they make the most of what is around for the kids, Just walk down by the football pitch and you have kids that are just able to kick a ball, you got hurling and soccer. All of which welcome new members.
    Comming up to christmas the drama group accept any help they can get.
    In all fairness it is a rural village, what are people expecting??? wild nightlife and high rollers :confused:
    Its like everything in life if you dont want to fit in you wont :rolleyes:

In fairness to the older generation most of them are friendly, one person in particular who is not from the area but has lived here for over thirty years agrees with me about trying to fit in. As for getting involved I do with some of the above and others that you have not mentioned but it was a struggle.
    I had to go out of my way to get to know every person that I am "friends " with now and in case that you think that I am being two faced I have said it to them how hard it is here compared to other places that I have lived. As for expecting a wild nightlife here or high rollers, that is not what I am looking for but you have just highlighted a good point, I do not drink very much and the bloody pub( a distant memory) is the main place to get to know people because the locals need a few pints to talk to US strangers and some of US love to chat and mix with new people just not in pubs because my social life went out the window with kids...haha ... but I still like to have the craic... and I always say hello to people on the street even though we get blanked sometimes too...Oh I don't know... if this is just village life and ways or what, I mainly lived in towns and cities... My friend I mentioned at the start said it was around 15yrs before she was a local I won't say how many more I have to go.. I am here to stay and hopefully I will welcome the new people in time to come.. take it easy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

What would be the difference if you moved to a city?, you would still have to go out of your way to fit in and perhaps it would be harder.
    BTW not singling you out in this heathcliff . Its for everyone who moves to a rural area and complains that they dont fit in. If there is nothing you like to do, start it up.

I hope that you are not singling me out Homerhop online you friendly local since we do probably meet in the street and say hello..lol....But since you are in tight with the locals try and spread your attitude among the rest.....

Advertisement